If PSP is possible, why not Pocket PC?

Guest Togorian

Guest Togorian

I just want to find out if there will ever be a Pocket PC version of Football Manager, or even a port of some of the older CM titles. I have a Dell Axim X50V and the specs are better than the PSP (though I do realise the PSP isn't as resource hungry as my Axim). Surely, as today's Pocket PCs are quite powerful (624 Mhz processor, 64 MB RAM, etc.) CM/FM would be perfect for them.

Any plans of releasing FM or CM on any other handheld format? I don't need the 2D match engine (like it on PC but don't need it on handheld) and could forgo some of the new features that FM has introduced and would prefer the simple, CM3 01/02 game elements (the best yet).

Guest Togorian

I just want to find out if there will ever be a Pocket PC version of Football Manager, or even a port of some of the older CM titles. I have a Dell Axim X50V and the specs are better than the PSP (though I do realise the PSP isn't as resource hungry as my Axim). Surely, as today's Pocket PCs are quite powerful (624 Mhz processor, 64 MB RAM, etc.) CM/FM would be perfect for them.

Any plans of releasing FM or CM on any other handheld format? I don't need the 2D match engine (like it on PC but don't need it on handheld) and could forgo some of the new features that FM has introduced and would prefer the simple, CM3 01/02 game elements (the best yet).

• SI Staff

It would be possible from a technical point of view most likely (although the screen resolution for most PocketPC's is somewhat below that of the PSP) - however there are few commmercial titles available for the Pocket PC which have sold in any amount of units because distribution for them is generally via. download only.

As such its not something which is impossible to happen (personally I'd love to do it icon_biggrin.gif) - but which simply might be untenable from the commercial point of view*.

Hope this helps,

Marc

*Bear in mind that testing such a product would be much much harder than for the PSP simply because of the myriad of Pocket PC devices out there, each with slightly different setups and capabilities - this would mean the testing and development would most likely be more expensive than for the PSP version - despite being restricted in market (ie. no retail outlet for sales) and thus potentially bringing in less revenue.

Guest Togorian

Thank you so much, Sir Vaughan (hey, it could, and should, happen). Yet again, SI shows what great customer service they have.

Well, now I'm definitely going to buy a PSP purely so that I can play Football Manager Handheld.

Hey what about tablet pcs? Microsoft and Intel have the Origami and there have been rumours for a (long) while that Apple will be coming out with one soon. The specs look decent enough...

I must confess that I'm sorely tempted to get a PSP just for FM. But I already have a DS and Konami has just announced a football game for it (the other compelling reason to get PSP). I also miss 2d match engine (yeah i know, back in the day... but still) and that would be a big plus if included on the tablet pc.

You could even take the handheld experience further. I would love to have some syncing between my handheld and desktop, something like Intel shows in this play, listen and enjoy video. Also some form of multiplayer on the handheld would be good, even if it's just a onetime match...

well I guess that sounds like some form of utopia icon_smile.gif , but even just a confirmation that FM 2006 would be runnable on the tablet pc or if not that SI would optimise a version for it would make me very happy icon_wink.gif

Just saw this

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jbaker:

I don't suppose you will be able to do it in this version but in future, will you be able to swap games you start on the pc or psp and continue to play the game on the other system. ie I start a game on the pc then go on holiday but instead of having to wait until i get home I can download the save game to my psp and continue the game while away then once home swap the savegame back to the pc and continue and vice versa. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No not on this version - one thing I'm considering for the sequel is making a 'PC client' for the game so you can swap between the two (bearing in mind that FM PSP will still differ from the full FM PC game so this client would be the PSP game on PC). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

Total Agree im going to buy a psp just for FM i wish I could get it for the pocket PC or Even one of the older games in the CM series. Pocket PC screens have now moved on in the newer models and have just have much graphics power if not more.

• SI Staff

No comments on possible future platforms really beyond what I've indicated already ... sorry.

(Origami looks cool, but is a relative 'unknown' at present - even Microsoft have indicated its more a 'concept' than reality currently)

I will just have to wait and see, Its a shame microsoft could not come up with a handheld thats is a pocket pc and PSP in one device. I would love just to have my windows mobile 5 Device Which is a pocket PC just with the phone stuff built in but being able to play the games the PSP has got. Just have to buy a PSP.

Yeah and I still think it's possible to do a DS version. So what if the match engine isn't ultra sophisticated. The 1980s management games managed to give an illusion of management with far worse specs.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vane:

Yeah and I still think it's possible to do a DS version. So what if the match engine isn't ultra sophisticated. The 1980s management games managed to give an illusion of management with far worse specs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The DS isn't as powerful as the PSP - however I have to admit I'd love to have a go at coding on one icon_wink.gif

Archived