Choosing Captain and Vice Captain

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skinnymalinky:

Will a players influence rise if given the armband? My squad is bereft of players with a high influence rating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. That effect has apparently been around a while, but was made more pronounced with FM'07; somebody said they made one of their guys captain for three years running, and saw his Influence rise from '3' to '18' or so .. I don't know how pronounced it is in '08.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by michaelcheetham:

just confusing that my assistant always reccommends player with highest teamwork. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the folks that swear up and down by influence are still living in the CM01/02 world. icon_wink.gif As noted in my linked post, teamwork is pretty key.

my rule is follows a few criteria in this rough order (for top two division teams mainly):

1. ensure the person has at least a decent influence (12 or so). It can improve as captain so it doesn't neccessarily have to be 20.

2. ensure the player has good mental stats, particularly in key 'off-the-ball' ones. This includes determination, teamwork, workrate and bravery. Your captain should be a role model for the squad and someone who isn't going to be unsettled easily.

3. make sure the captain is a good, first choice player. There's no point picking a captain if they aren't going to make the squad or if your trying to replace them.

4. check the player's personality. This overlaps a little with 2, but i generally prefer professional, determined, resilient or resolute (or synonyms for these) as opposed to ambitious, balanced, jovial or even loyal.

5. pick a player who has been at the club for a long time, or better yet, is a youth product (ie. Fernando Torres)

6. If there aren't any stand out older players for the role, then pick a younger lad who you feel will be a key to your team over the next decade.

For vice-captain i follow the same guidelines, but if i have a mid to old captain (>27) i certainly pick a younger player as vice, someone who can replace my captain as he gets on in age.

Just a few of the below, my Captain doesn't have to have all of them but, as many as possible

- Time at club

- If he is a favourite player by a few other teammates.

- best position, Defender, Goalkeeper, Central Midielder (This maybe just me liking those sorts of players as a captain)

- Teamwork, Influance

-Experiance

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Baroslfc5:

- If he is a favourite player by a few other teammates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a very good one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">TeediuS

Semi Pro

Registered: 06 April 2003 Posted 27 November 2007 06:35 not seen agression mentioned so far, i use this as a factor if two people are close to ensure he's not overly agressive otherwise the rest of the team might think it's alright to be like that too </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats interesting because I would have always placed a high value on aggression when selecting captains in the past. I want my teams to have an aggressive streak ( but not a dirty streak), I want a team of fighters and having a captain with high aggression has always been a prioity of mine, a Roy Keane type for example.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

Originally posted by skinnymalinky:

Will a players influence rise if given the armband? My squad is bereft of players with a high influence rating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. That effect has apparently been around a while, but was made more pronounced with FM'07; somebody said they made one of their guys captain for three years running, and saw his Influence rise from '3' to '18' or so .. I don't know how pronounced it is in '08.

I gave the armband to a player with good menatl stats and my fv for capts 'composure' around 15, his influence was 12, he has the band for 5 years and it has risen to 15 - make of that what you will given the ammount it may have increased naturally anyway, but seeing as his other stats are similar i like to think the armband bettered him!

Was just wondering because I was thinking of giving Jotevic the vice captain role but he only has 5 for influence, not to mention the fact that he's only 19. On the other hand, he has high determination, good composure, a reasonable work rate and is one, if not the, most popular player in the squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by senorcoo:

I just pick whoever is recommended as picking the wrong guy seems to have disastrous consequences for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, i've done it with Arsenal. Assman said to choose Gallas, wich was the actual captain, but i wanted Toure or Gilberto.

I choosed Toure and Gilberto and subcaptain.

My first team results were awfull but later on i managed to have a nice team.

next year, assman says i should keep the captains and also said gallas wasn't interested in being choosed again.

So my gess is that team will take a little longer to get used to the new captain, but eventually it will be worthed in the long term.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aragao:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by senorcoo:

I just pick whoever is recommended as picking the wrong guy seems to have disastrous consequences for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, i've done it with Arsenal. Assman said to choose Gallas, wich was the actual captain, but i wanted Toure or Gilberto.

I choosed Toure and Gilberto and subcaptain.

My first team results were awfull but later on i managed to have a nice team.

next year, assman says i should keep the captains and also said gallas wasn't interested in being choosed again.

So my gess is that team will take a little longer to get used to the new captain, but eventually it will be worthed in the long term. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good.

I'm still puzzled with Wenger for choosing Gallas. How is he a good captain as compared to Gilberto or even Toure? He doesn't even fit the 'been at the club for long' criteria.

So my captain for the past 5 seasons is not playing in my first 11 anymore. By the start of the next season I decided to change captain to the person that had been acting captain on the field for most of the season. My former captain got set as vice captain and the former vice captain that doesn't appear in the first 11 all that much got left without.

My captain had no problem with being vice captain instead, I however have my former vice captain thinking he should had been appointed captain and one player thinking that the old caaptain should had got to keep his position. My new captain that has been acting captain on the field for most of the previus season is feeling too much under pressure, wish there had been a way for him to tell me that previously when acting the role.

So to make a long story short, is it adviseable to keep a captain even though he only plays a handful of games each season and have someone else acting captain on the pitch? Anyone got any experience with this?

• 1 month later...

Yeah the assistant suggestion is a bit crap as I never get the player with top influence suggested.

If he recommends a player with decent influence but a club stalwart and fan favourite or player favourite I would pick them ahead of the top ingluenc...er.

i like to roleplay a bit. i managed to sign ronaldinho for west ham in the winter transfer window. i imediately stripped my loyal youngish defender of the captaincy and gave it to ronnie!

it didnt seem to upset the team too much, and i believe i won the league that year. the rest of the team were too excited about a global superstar arriving in the east end, that they forgot to feel sorry for their teammate.

by role play i should say i meant that i like to conduct my transfers as if the club was run a la real madrid. i thought offering the irrseponsible ronnaldinho the captaincy would be just the sought of thing a club run by boastful nutters might do to tempt him to west ham.

• 8 years later...
  • FrazT locked this topic

Archived