Will many people switch to playing Live when it comes out or will they stick to FM2008?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i personally haven't even looked at live. nothing to do with whether i think it'll be good or not. just that i prefer to do things in my own way in my own time. and to do that i prefer to play the normal boxed game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll probably be the same, it would have been great about 5,6 years ago when I had a lot more spare time!

FM Live doesn't appeal to me as I like playing my own game in my own way. My only concern with it is that it will take valuable resources away from FM 2009+ and that the boxed game will be the poorer partner of the two schemes. Hope that doesn't happen.

Not really my thing.

The problem with online games is the people who play them. They're always full of idiots who find bugs and exploit them to their advantage, and use hacking tools to give themselves some advantage.

And i'm really sure that sort of thing would happen in the Live game. People like that just can't play a game and accept losing, and it ruins the fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">FM Live doesn't appeal to me as I like playing my own game in my own way. My only concern with it is that it will take valuable resources away from FM 2009+ and that the boxed game will be the poorer partner of the two schemes. Hope that doesn't happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with that totally, it would make you worry.They do have 2 teams working on both games, but I hope Live dosen't take away from FM2009. There is still so much potential!

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I personally don't think I will play the new live version, I prefer playing my own games, just wondering were many considering buying it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do play your own games in FM Live against another human opponent. Each match has a resolution date when it has to be played by and before that you can play the opponents AI team or the match will be auto resolved if no-one plays it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">FM Live doesn't appeal to me as I like playing my own game in my own way. My only concern with it is that it will take valuable resources away from FM 2009+ and that the boxed game will be the poorer partner of the two schemes. Hope that doesn't happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FM Live doesn't take any resources away from the FM project

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

I personally don't think I will play the new live version, I prefer playing my own games, just wondering were many considering buying it?

You do play your own games in FM Live against another human opponent. Each match has a resolution date when it has to be played by and before that you can play the opponents AI team or the match will be auto resolved if no-one plays it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, putting it that way, I may have a go at it.

But If I may ask, do you have any plans for bug exploiting, cheating, editors and all that? That's my main concern with games is people will find ways to cheat and constantly win. Just find it interesting on what the plans for that may be.

Assuming there is a North American release, I will give it a shot. I don't think that the game will be as time intensive as some people are predicting. If it's anything like some of the other online management games out there, you will be able to get by with checking on your team every couple of days or so.

Leftie

Playing both, FML is too different to bear direct comparison with FM.

We've had every cheat and exploit tried you could think of, that's the purpose of beta.

Preventives go in place pretty quickly.

FML is a blast, everyone should try it before making up their minds imo.

• SI Staff

Haven't posted in here for donkey's years (deep breath, here goes!)

God - what a depressing thread!

I do hope some of you guys at least give it a go before you write it off as something you wouldn't be interested in icon_smile.gif

It reminds me of when we made the very first CM back in 1992 - people were just as wary of something new/being done a little differently then too. "What's the strange program with numbers and bright colours filling the screen?" "What do you mean you can't even see the action!"

Well...I'm certainly glad we stuck with that one!

PS would like to quash something that keeps cropping up. The development of FML has absolutely zero impact on the development on FM2008! I stopped working on FM years ago, and the rest of the FML team are either new chaps who've joined more recently and one guy who worked on EHM (Graeme, for those in the know). If anything, the fact we're using the same ME in FML is helping tune it for FM too.

Sorry I wont be playing either. I have done a bit of online gaming for the first time ever on my Xbox 360 this year and it really isnt much fun. It tends to be the people that inhabit online gaming worlds that ruin these things, as has been mentioned above. You can already see posts on here about people trying to develope 'killer tactics' for FM live and things like that just dont interest me. I like to play the game in my own inept way but take satisfaction from achieving stuff without cheating. I feel this would be impossible in FM live.

Personally Ive always thought of CM/FM as more of a solitary pursuit (just as i love getting all the boys round for a Pro Evo night).

i'd imagine I will play both.

I registered for the beta when it first became available but never heard anything icon_frown.gif

I will definitely give it a go to see what it is like. I hope there is plans for some kind of free trial when it's finally released icon_smile.gif

I'm quite excited by it despite not really knowing much about it.

no i will not for the same sorts of reasons stated above, i like being able to do things in my own time as suits me, sometimes i go a month without even touching football manager next i am constantly on it. hope it works out for SI but not something i think i will go for

I'm really looking forward to it. Not lucky enough to be involved with it so far so still not really sure how it'll pan out, but I'm a big fan of fantasy football and competing with mates on that It sounds like FML will mix elements of FF with FM. How can that be bad?! I just hope any FM players who do give it a go are welcoming of new players and we can have a slightly more bonded community to take it forward.

Might have to have a look at it, but unfortunately it boils down to free time for me I'm afraid.

I played Ultima Online from when it was BETA and eventually packed it in after 7 years.

I then played one of the free UO shards for a while, before moving to Spain in 2005.

Have not really seen anything since that yells enough at me to give it a try, but FM Live does look interesting.

I'll probably stick with normal FM myself. I've had my run of other MMOGs over the years (Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, World of Warcraft) and they've sort of lost their appeal. I like to play FM to my own time table and pace, I have a hard enough time trying to win against the AI let alone another human manager.

I would like to play FM Live it sounds pretty good but it also sounds too expensive for my liking.

I personally would prefer a pay-per-game system rather than a pay-per-month. Maybe even for a few quid a month you get 30 matches (1 a day) and for the full price (£7 or whatever) you get unlimited.

I mean comon £84 per year is just too much for me, make it the price of a normal game (£40) and I might be interested.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kain:

I shall be sticking with FM07. FM Live doesn't interest me at all, as I'm anti-social and dislike other people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Misanthropes of the World unite!

I find it odd that FM, the most unashamedly single-player experience ever invented (ahem) is "live!".

I've got enough "ZOMG u iz teh looser!" teenagers in my life with my own kid let alone someone elses icon_biggrin.gif

VB

I do play online games but only one full time Eve. the other are free and I dabble. Eve costs me £70/80 per year but it is very well established and I play an awful lot in between bouts of FM08.

Football online is a different animal in that it would need to have the same in depth facilities/functions/options etc as the normal game and maybe a bit more re the graphics and the odd surprise (win a competition and get a month free).

Presumably, to entice us you could offer a 14day free trial without having to offer up any Visa etc card details.

Given that it is FM then I would be more interested as you have established yourself as the best Footie sim in the business.

But other online footie games I have seem lack atmosphere. Mind the idea of competing without saving before the game will add a bit of extra spice.

As long as there's no killer tactics and online griefers I await more information.

icon14.gif

I know I won't be playing it. - I prefer playing games on my own terms and at my own speed/interest rate.

And I'm guessing it'll most-likely be a subscription based thing, which I've never seen the value in for the customer. You can buy a normal game once for $50 and enjoy it for the rest of your life... or you can pay per month for a subscription, and get only a few months of play out of the same $50. icon_confused.gif

Plus... I've seen what kind of people make up 99% of online gaming communities. icon_rolleyes.gif

With the right community online games are great. However, in general, there are too many people who prefer winning at all costs. This translates into cheating, using exploits and bugs and general bad manners. Everyone always wants to go the best team.

I'm not sure as I haven't looked it up yet, but I would hope that SI offers the ability to create custome leagues, where we can have leagues of people who we either know or have met/will meet online. This way it's easier to be comfortable in a game, safe in the knowledge that we at least to some extent, know who we're playing against.

I'm fed up of online gaming where people ruin it for everyone else because they are only out to win and their entire enjoyment comes from winning rather than having fun playing with other like minded people.

Perhaps cup matches where we could organise tournaments on the forum with our favourite online friends.

I have to say, I probably will try it (as long as the match engine is a bit better than FM08.)

I think that SI could be onto a KILLER online game. The potential is astounding. I, as I assume many others do, play in a fantasy football league. Everyone I know enjoys these leagues immensely, this is a massive step up where friends and colleagues in offices could play each other in a much more interactive way.

In the same way as operating systems are going online, especially with the work Google and Facebook are doing, (although I've heard the old "XP will be the last operating system ever") FM online, I believe, will eventually be the favoured option for most. I wonder even if FM as a standalone app has a future. But that's just me guessing. Financially of course it makes sense to bring the game online, not least because you can tackle piracy head on and with the right tools.

I think everyone should give FM Live a chance. I'm actually rather excited by it. It could really transform the way we view the game and for the better. It's certainly a bold step by SI but I hope it succeeds.

I don't know why but everytime I think of FM Live I see big $$$$ signs in front of my eyes icon_smile.gif I wish I'd have thought of it. icon_smile.gif

Not sure I'll have the time to be honest. I'm 31 and married with a kid, and all the mates I used to play with no longer buy FM because they're too busy.

I have owned every single CM / FM title, but sadly I think this may be one too many for me.

I'll probably decide nearer the time though. I always think 'this will be my last one', and then I get drawn in!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Archived