+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 2,000 of 2156

Thread: AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

Amateur

Default Re: AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

great to have you back kip, knew you would be this experiment is nowhere finished yet.

come on you sheriffs.

Part-Timer

Season 2015-16

Club reports – Summer Transfers

After a remarkable Championship season, both the Bandits and Sheriffs had been promoted. But neither had the players to cope in the Premiership, and both squads would need heavy investment.

To give you an idea of the standard of player required in the top league, here at the number of players at each level prior to the season:

180+ CA: 23
    170+ CA: 62
    160+ CA: 134
    150+ CA: 237

With the Bandits' best player reaching 148 and the Sheriffs 135, neither side had anyone to frighten their new opposition. They needed to see if they could entice anyone with 150 CA to join a newly promoted side, otherwise they would be in trouble.

Interesting point to show how difficult it is to attract the top players – there may be 62 players of 170 CA in the league, but 47 of them play for the Big Four, another 12 for Man City or Spurs, leaving just three others, two at Newcastle and one at Sunderland. There is no even spread – you need a high reputation to get these guys. The Bandits and Sheriffs would have to aim lower.

Part-Timer

Bandits

Perhaps aware of the challenges ahead, the Bandits resisted their usual summer clearout, losing only a handful of substandard players, and focused instead on new recruits. They jumped straight into it, purchasing Aaron Lennon from Hearts for £2.6m. The right winger, now 28, had never fulfilled his potential of 165 but his CA of 143 but him behind only Dyer at the club. A good start.

Then they started to stun the world of football by flashing the cash. Xisco arrived for a whopping £14.75m from Sunderland, the 29 year old striker becoming the club's best player with a very healthy CA of 154. But not for long – Jose Palma was the next to join, for a jaw-dropping £24m from Reading. The 23 year old central midfielder was a superstar – his CA of 167 was good for the league, and could still rise to 175. At this point, the division began to take notice.

Next, the manager turned to the goalkeeping situation, signing 18 year old Vincenzo Albanesi from Chelsea for £10.75m. Already comfortably the club's best keeper with a CA of 136, he could reach an impressive 170 in time.

Deciding Xisco needed a partner up front, he then turned to Dinamo Kiev, signing Chinese frontman Xu Qi for £12m. Having scored 52 goals in 54 games for the club, it was time for the 24 year old to step up to a top league, and with a CA of 163 and a PA of 176 he has every chance of becoming a star.

Finally a cheap signing arrived, in the form of Kim Dong-Jin, a 33 year old left back who arrived from Bolton, who cost £950k. His CA of 140 makes him a good squad player at worst. But soon the Bandits were back to spending big money, and having already given Reading £24m for Palma, they contributed another £17.75m to their account for Michael Mancienne. Now 27, the centre back has a CA of 158.

Most positions were now sorted, but no left winger had arrived, so Brek Shea was purchased for £13.75m from Bolton. The 25 year old American has a CA of 157 and a PA of 168, and is another in an incredible set of signings. But he wasn't the last – Christian Ribeiro, a 25 year old left or centre back with a CA of 145 was signed for £10m from Middlesbrough, and left wing back Thomas Fontaine cost another £11.75m from West Ham. The 24 year old can only add one to his CA of 151.

One signing left, and it was one of the most exciting. Michael Williamson is an attacking midfielder or striker with a CA of 142, but at just 20 years of age he has plenty of time to improve. And with a PA of a massive 184 he could become a legitimate world star. Costing £8.75m from Watford, he could be a bargain.

And with that, the chequebook was closed. An astonishing £127m has been spent, and the Bandits had been transformed from relegation favourites to a dangerous force. They have no absolute stars – Palma's CA of 167 puts him 76th in the league, but the league still had to be wary.

Part-Timer

Sheriffs

The Sheriffs had spent an extra year in the Championship before gaining promotion, but didn't really have the squad to show for it. Any player with 140 CA would instantly become the club's best, so investment was required.

Like the Bandits, they resisted a massive clearout, and instant focused on recruits. The first was Steve Standing, a 20 year old central midfielder costing £1.9m from West Brom. Definitely a long term signing, his 125 CA could rise to 175, but he isn't one for today.

That is certainly not the case with the second signing, Falcao, who cost a stonking £23m from River (yes, the same Falcao that scored THAT goal for Porto against Arsenal recently – anyone who mentions it gets a slap). Prolific in Argentina, the 29 year old striker is at his peak, with a whopping 165 CA. Nice.

Next to arrive was Mark Bunn, a 30 year old goalkeeper with 133 CA. Costing £1.8m from Middlesbrough, he is quite expensive for his ability, but he is better than what they have.

Middlesbrough also sold the Sheriffs their next player – Kevin Thomson, but his signing was much more notable. With a CA of 160, the 30 year old central midfielder is quite the player, and even at £9.5m worth the outlay.

Only one more signing was made, Iliass Bel Hassani, a 22 year old attacking midfielder picked up for £4m from Le Mans. His CA of 146 could rise to 155.

And that was it. Three of their signings became their three best players, but you worry a little about their strength in depth – beyond the few stars there is not too much to get excited about. That said, the manager is talented, so you never know.

Onward.

Amateur

Man ¢ity level spending here....

Youth Team

Bandits go crazy! Be interesting to see if all the new recruits can gel quick enough - certainly no question of relegation for them now.

roberto922

Sheriffs are gonna struggle I think bottom 6, Bandits could get Europe

Amateur

It'll be interesting to see what that's done to the clubs financially. At last report, the Bandits had a balance of £124m, yet they've spent £127m. Obviously there's prize money and season ticket earnings and the like to be added in, but they must have felt it. I hope that they haven't used all their buying power in one go. They're going to need similar investment again next year (and the next) in order to compete.

The Sheriffs are simply not good enough. All they can hope is that they come out on top in the games against the other relegation candidates. If they survive, the boost in rep should make it easier for them next term.

Prediction: Bandits finish 9th after hovering around Euro places for a while. Sheriffs finish 16th, dipping into the drop zone all year long, but saving themselves with a week or two to go, thanks to a couple of decent quality January signings.

Part-Timer

The Bandits have released the beast within Definitely a top half finish is on the books now \o/ Sheriffs will be struggling till January and need to make some nice moves there or they'll be quickly back to where they belong!

Amateur

Excellent window for the Bandits. Worried about the Sheriffs though. In answer to Betterspud, i reckon financially the Bandits will always be on a sound footing. Season tickets, TV revenue and a massive support should see them ok. Im just glad they are spending it properly in this experiment. I was always a touch disappointed in the original that they didnt exploit their spending power early on. It seems the AI has definately improved in this aspect.

Semi Pro
    Spending too much time on FM and not enough time with the wife

Wowsers! 127 million!

Well as it is prediction time, I am going to go for, Sherrifs in a relegation battle by Christmas (lets hope the scum bags go down).

Bandits, have an appalling start to the season as the new team gel, lurching from victory to loss with no run of form, but by October they turn it around and scrabble up to 6th for Christmas.

Reserves

Wow, The Bandits are really going for it. It's really nice to see them actually using their financial muscle in this experiment. On the back of those signings they'll be at least mid table, and we've still got January to go yet. Williamson is a really exciting prospect, I hope they can hang onto him.

The Sheriffs may struggle a little this season, they could have really done with a few more new players.

Amateur

Crazy spending.

I am worried about the Sheriffs though. That Keeper Mark Bunn though is terrific. Signed him in my game (a desperate signing at the time) but he performed tremendously well. He's under-rated. Watch him.

Third Team

Necessary spending. I think the Bandits will limp to mid-table, still not enough quality to reach Europe, unless they sneak a cup win.

Sheriffs are going down unless they strengthen heavily in January.
    Last edited by Kenco; 02-03-2010 at 18:42.

Amateur

What the hell was Aaron Lennon doing at Hearts? No matter, great to see him coming in to the Bandits, and good to see them flashing the cash as a team in their financial position reaching the Prem for the first time really would.

And good to see Falcao coming in to the Sheriffs, what's the betting he scores against Arsenal? Oh wait, he's already done that! *dodges Kip's slap*

Amateur

Liking the look of the Bandits transfers, hoping they finish well (mid table I'd assume, with a decent cup run) and bring in some real stars next season.

The Sheriffs look set to go straight back down without some serious strengthening in January.....

Semi Pro

Great to see you back again Kip. I think your style has, if anything, improved even further lately. Sympathy about Falcao - nice to know you're a fellow gooner. How have Arsenal been doing?

Spending was predictable and if anything I'd say it was a little lower than I expected. Bandits to get Europa League football, Sherriffs should survive but will be outsiders in the relegation battle, I'd say. They will probably splash the cash in January. Bandits might not need to....

Third Team

Damn, he's back. Just when I'm about to go to sleep...

I'll look forward to reading it tomorrow.

Amateur

Bandits gone on a spending spree.

Sherrifs look like they'll struggle this season. Only got Falcao who's of any note. Look like a one man team. Need to spend in January and get off to a good start. Hopefully Falcao can settle in England too.

Semi Pro

I knew there was a reason that I preferred the Bandits over the Sheriffs

Can't wait for the updates!

Amateur

lordy, no messing from the Bandits there. They've gotta be aiming for Europe straight away with that investment. Wouldn't think that they'll ever be short of money in the coming years either, what with the giant stadium alone. The Sheriffs, I'd put them down for a decent lower-middle finish - having someone with "that little bit of quality up front" being the factor between that and a relegation struggle.

Amateur

Good job to SI for much improving the AI this time around.

KUTGW as always, Kip!

Go Sheriffs!

Amateur

They did spend a lot of money, but the players they bought aren't really top-class. With the manager they have, they have a decent chance of getting to Europe, but those are players needed just to stay afloat in the Premiership. After all, the rest of the team are still much weaker.

As for the Sheriffs, they'd better make up for the lack of upgrades in the January window, or they could be headed straight back down...

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by ivanro View Post
    Good job to SI for much improving the AI this time around.
    Technically, that's 'last time around', since this is on FM09. But it's still a good point. The AI is so much better than it was in 07.

Amateur

Ohhh, that's right, I forgot, this is on FM09. Goes to show how long has this thread been going on and how fanatics we all are

Reserves

Wow, you weren't kidding about the big spending. I'd me amazed if the sheriffs were anywhere near the bandits, though they have got a couple of good ones so I'm not going to predict their demise. Bring it on.

Amateur

Bandits to be in the top half most of the season but drop in form in the last few months and finish about 12th/13th.

Sheriffs to struggle all season and maybe produce a couple of shock results, but ultimately they will be relegated in 19th position just a few points from safety.

I also predict an FA cup final defeat for the Bandits.

Part-Timer
    Bill Shankly \'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.\'

Go on the Bandits

Amateur

Starting to get the shakes...

Need a bandits fix!

Please... ;0)

Amateur

FML's Down Come on KIP fill the void for us

International Squad

Kip is a tease

Amateur

Checking this thread every day. I'm always happy like a little kid when I see kips name. Kip your status turned to Continental!

Amateur

proberly gonna be a big update coming, can't wait

Amateur

This is gonna be an awesome update! I can't wait.

Amateur

Wow! Big spending there by the Bandits! I'm sure we'll get to European competition and the Sherriffs will surely go down!

In all seriousness though, I am looking forward to this update hugely and I am loving the competition between the two sides!

Amateur

Gutted...... Everytime I see this thread near the top of the page I get all excited that we've got an update.
    OH well the wait is always worth it.

Amateur

why does he punish us so.

Semi Pro

I have a theory. I think Kip is an alien life-form who is spying on us and trying to make us so desperate that when his race finally lands on earth, all he'll have to do is announce a Bandits Update, and we'll all bow down before them and he'll control the earth.

Ah well - at least it's something more interesting to think about!!

Amateur

I can understand leaving long gaps between updates, that make sense. But to start an update and then waiting over three weeks to post the rest of it?

I'm starting to believe that Kip is experimenting on us after all.....

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by GreyedOutMan View Post
    I have a theory. I think Kip is an alien life-form who is spying on us and trying to make us so desperate that when his race finally lands on earth, all he'll have to do is announce a Bandits Update, and we'll all bow down before them and he'll control the earth.

Ah well - at least it's something more interesting to think about!!
    I read this and laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out!!!................ then realised that its probably true and got really scared

Amateur

I can handle kip being some kind of alien life form that will take over earth. As long as such takeover brings an update

Amateur

If that's all it takes for an update, I welcome our new alien overlords.

Amateur

I think we're all agree'd enslavement is a small price to pay for an update.

Amateur

Enslavement? I'd stand in front of a firing squad...as long as I got to read the update first.

Amateur

Bread and updates.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by yugo23 View Post
    Bread and updates.
    ...and a shrubbery!

Amateur
    Help I'm a Southerner and have been kidknapped and forced to live up North. Ransom fee required.

Hmmmm a better way to see if Kipfizh has posted is click on the number of replies on the 2nd to right column.

Kip currently has 315 replies in this thread so if it goes up then maybe an update??

Maybe better than all of us seeing someone has posted thinking maybe someone has replied to a Kip update and then seeing it's a "wonder when we'll get an update" post and be all disapointed?

Just like I have done as well.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DB1 View Post
    I read this and laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out!!!................ then realised that its probably true and got really scared
    Thanks for the reaction - thats what I was going for. Gotta do something while we wait for our alien overlords to arrive ;)

We come in peace, Lord Kipfizh. We are willing to be enslaved...in return for an update!!

Amateur

Took me a few days to do it but it was well worth it. The player reports are my favourite part of the Experiment. Maybe Striker three will break the 1000 proffesional goals barrier!

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by llanlad View Post
    Maybe Striker three will break the 1000 professional goals barrier!
    That'd be amazing. I make it that he's at 289 so far. But he's gonna have to go some to get 1000. At age 23, he may get 10 more seasons, so he'd need upwards of 70 goals each year. Still, he's clearly going to amass an incredible total, whatever he gets.

Let's just hope that the experiment lasts long enough to fond out. (And that we all live long enough to see another ten seasons of updates, which may be an achievement in itself.) That was a joke by the way, before anyone accuses me of having a dig at Kip's update frequency.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by betterspud View Post
    That'd be amazing. I make it that he's at 289 so far. But he's gonna have to go some to get 1000. At age 23, he may get 10 more seasons, so he'd need upwards of 70 goals each year. Still, he's clearly going to amass an incredible total, whatever he gets.

Let's just hope that the experiment lasts long enough to fond out. (And that we all live long enough to see another ten seasons of updates, which may be an achievement in itself.) That was a joke by the way, before anyone accuses me of having a dig at Kip's update frequency.
    Depends where he goes.. and if he stays injury free. i think he'll have more than 10 seasons, but after that he'll play less.

Part-Timer

Folks, an update will be coming soon, I'm probably going to have to cut out a couple of less interesting (or more time consuming) sections as work has got INSANELY busy - I've barely been in the country for the last few weeks.

Amateur

great news....don't worry, we'll be here waiting

Amateur

Nice to hear from you Kip. Cut what you need to. I doubt you'll get any complaints. Looking forward to the report.

Amateur

Prediction: Bandits to make European football - via the Europa League.
    Sheriffs to struggle all season and to just barely drop - in 18th, missing out on GD.

Amateur

Dont worry Kip. We'll wait I don't know what other people will think but i enjoy it when a whole big new update is out. If you didn't cut it. You could just post it up in bits. Either way. I eagerly await the next bit.

Could there be some bits you can do every two years or so?

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by kipfizh View Post
    Folks, an update will be coming soon, I'm probably going to have to cut out a couple of less interesting (or more time consuming) sections as work has got INSANELY busy - I've barely been in the country for the last few weeks.
    out of curiosity, what line of work are you in? if you wouldn't mine telling us

Third Team

Pretty sure he's in IT? Software developer IIRC

Amateur

Yeah, pretty sure he's in IT-related field.

I remember in the last experiment, he mentioned something about how he was curious to see how the game's AI would react under extreme measures, because his daily job involved designing/analyzing artificial intelligence.

So, IT/robotics/DSP and such would be my guess.

Amateur

A little click on his profile and it gives "Software Developer"

Semi Pro

More teasing

Amateur

4 people currently viewing this thread despite no update in weeks!!

Amateur

I'm pretty sure some people have this thread as their homepage.

Part-Timer

Good idea there Mravac ;)

Amateur

This thread is at the top of my favorites, which is the next best thing to my homepage.

Amateur

Yeah this is on my bookmarks to. I'm so starved of an update

Amateur

bumpity bump

Amateur

This doesn't really need a bump from anyone other than Kip... You get my hopes when I see a new post.

Amateur

I must apologise ffor getting the hopes up of everyone who looks at this and thinks there has been an update, I found this yesterday and haven't stopped reading since. Gutted to have caught up actually, wass enjoying waiting about half an hour between updates.

A few things i've noticed:

It has been mentioned once before but I find it interesting that players don't seem to reach their full PA, being one point off. I can't see why this would be programmed in tbh.

Are there too many world cup shocks? Maybe I am underestimating real life but surely there seems to be too many quality nations not going far enough.

As I have read all updates pretty close together (only broken up by at times tedious begging, although who can blame you, I shall now join as a begger for more updates, and at times wonderful poetry ;) ) I have noticed that extra time fails to produce a result too many times for my liking. We seem to have an exttraodinary amount of shootouts compared to my experiance of real life.

The AI seems utterly incapable of closing out a result! I've lost count of the amount of times teams have been 3-0 up and nearly loose the lead with it ending 3-2!? It happens at least a couple of times an update by my reckoning. Maybe this is a reason for the extra time rarely yielding results?

Maybe all these points are wrong, just my personal observations.

This has enspired me into planning my own AI experiment but for now I shall settle back as a lurker lapping up each and every word of your updates.

P.S. Please don't leave for months on end Kip, don't know how I would have managed it if I had been in real time rather than seeing months fly by as I scrolled down!

Amateur

Oh don't worry, you'll get used to it.

And no apology needed, as your post actually has something relevant to say... I haven't noticed that issue, but maybe someone else has. I wonder if any of the other AI experiments have it?

Amateur

I realise Kip is busy, and I know this experiment isnt dead, but I cant help but wonder if we'll even get to see the starlets retire in this incarnation...

Amateur

What a rea, just read the entire thread, at work for the past week. Where has kip disappeared to? Do you reckon hes on the run from Interpol lol

Amateur

I actually got quite excited for an update there!

Amateur

What happened in the FM07 experiment that he did, did any of the stars become managers etc

Part-Timer

Amateur

68 seasons bloody hell, thats like a full time job

Reserves

Not much chance of this one getting that far

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by chopper99 View Post
    Not much chance of this one getting that far
    na it looks done to me - real shame

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by The_shocker7 View Post
    na it looks done to me - real shame
    Kip will be back. As he said in his last post he cant find much time for it at the moment but it wont just die. If he had no intention of coming back then he would let us all know.

Reserves

I never thought I'd say it, but if Kip can't commit to it then I'd rather he called it a day, or provided the save to someone else who does have the time to continue.

Amateur

I completely and utterly disagree.
    If he can't commit to it, then I'd rather he post whatever he can, when he can, in his own time.

Of course, I have nothing against someone else giving a shot at a similar experiment... though, I doubt many have the determination it takes to do it properly.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Mravac Kid View Post
    I completely and utterly disagree.
    If he can't commit to it, then I'd rather he post whatever he can, when he can, in his own time.

Of course, I have nothing against someone else giving a shot at a similar experiment... though, I doubt many have the determination it takes to do it properly.

I second this.

Amateur

Regardless of wether Kip continues like this or someone else takes over this thread will die. Well in my eyes its already dead. Kip obviously hasnt got the time for the experiment anymore (not a criticism) and if someone else takes over i very much doubt it will be the same as the glory days of the last experiment!

First Team Squad Member

I hadn't checked this thread for a while and have to admit I'm pretty disappointed not to find an update, oh well, it was fun whilst it lasted.

Amateur

We should message kips blog and ask him for the DB or to please post again, begging if need be.

Amateur

Am I reading that right? It has actually been 3 months since Kip posted the season tranfers? I enjoyed the experiment, and im sure kip will be back just to say its over, but its nevertheless a real shame...

Amateur

I NEED MY BANDIT FIX!! I'm having withdrawal symptoms, i need it! it is my drug.... i am definetly addicted. Please come back soon....

Amateur

I can sense an update coming soon!

Amateur

I would really hope so

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    I can sense an update coming soon!
    how do you sense? i sense its over (unfortuantly). maybe someone else would like to have a go and do something similar....i like stories like this. always keep me riveted.

Amateur

My Spidey Sense's are tingling.

Amateur

It might be over but we all still come here and check regularly, in the slight chance that it might not be.

Got to give him props for keeping it going as long as he did though. Well done for a great story and experiement. It kept me well entertained for years.

First Team

Sorry for upping everyone, but I have only just come across this experiment and have to say that it is awesome. Big kudos to Kip for the effort he has put in, as i have thoroughly enjoyed the last 4 hours of reading.

Go me wanting to play FM again after 2 years of not buying it.

Amateur
    Here (occasionally), there (sometimes) and everywhere (all the other times)

Spent almost the whole of yesterday reading through this thread. It's brilliant! But a real shame kip hasn't had the time to update it for 5 months. I suppose life caught up with him in the end.

Amateur

I honestly think i will check this page everytime until Kip himself says that it is finally over!

Amateur

Same here unfortunatly

Amateur

Me to, but I guess the upside is that it keeps me finding other good little stories that I wouldnt normally find when I try and fill in the time between bandits updates

Amateur

This whole thread is a sad sight It was fantastic while it lasted but maybe someone else like Kip will join the forums and do an experiment similar to this soon.

Amateur

I could do an experiment like Kip easily. But i don't want to be compared to kip because nothing could beat Kips reports and writing.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    I could do an experiment like Kip easily. But i don't want to be compared to kip because nothing could beat Kips reports and writing.
    Yeah I agree...it's not difficult so simulate a season, but the way everything has been reported and written is simply brilliant...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast