[SUGGESTION] Breaking up patches

Hey guys, i am a new user to FM09 and first of all i love it!! The guys down as SI have done a tremendous job. But down to my suggestion, please forgive me if this has been suggested before. Can i suggest that the patches for FM09 be split in parts? I don't know how much effort this may go, but me haveing a small download limit, it is hard for me to download patches. I know some people think that there is no point, but I know of a lot of users in the same boat. Downloading 200mb patches takes for ever, and having maybe 3, 80mb patches or something like that would be better for users like myself in the same bot. Just a suggestion, but feel free to elaborate.

Cheers ;)

cant see it working tbh, as the patches released fix all/most bugs, it would be very hard to split it into appropriate bits to keep everyone happy, ie what fixes to put in each 80mb section. i have thought that there should be an option to pay a small fee and get it shipped on a disk may benefit people

yeh ik what u mean..... but surly the patch cant' be put in a .rar file and archived into 'parts'? i.e part1, part 2 etc? It just means that we users don't have to sit there for 2-3hours..... when we can download the patch in no more the say 40mins..... and go off and do something else, then download the next one. Just means we don't have to spend 3hours at the computer waiting for the download to finish.

Why not download the patches via bittorrent? Then you can download in small bursts at a time if you so choose.

yes i know... that is what i used to download the last patch.... but the thing i don't like about p2p is that you need lots of peers to download. I am sure that that most of those peers were SI guys, but most torrents you download don't have any seeds. Also, with uTorrent and software of the like, u can restrict the bandwidth (well you can to certain degree) but it still takes up a considerable amount of bandwidth. Especially on guys (like me) on 256kb/s plans and 1gb data.

Don't you know anyone with an unlimited (or at least less limited) connection that could possibly let you download it via their connection?

Could always try and find someone who is willing to split it into multiple .rar and upload to MegaUpload or such, I suppose.

You'd still have to download all parts wouldn't you? So instead of downloading 240Mb once you download 80Mb three times. Ignoring part of the patch wouldn't be advisable as I am sure all parts of it compliment and effect each other.

I do have one suggestion. If it is a real hassle for you to download the patch then wait for it to come out in one of the PC mags each month. The patches are usually on the free CDs they give out.

What I'd like to see with future patches is being able to download the bug fixes alone, without the data update. Since the data update takes up about 90mb with the actual bug fixes 15mb, it'd take up a lot less space & would make the download a lot faster. I usually delete the data updates anyway.

What I'd like to see with future patches is being able to download the bug fixes alone, without the data update. Since the data update takes up about 90mb with the actual bug fixes 15mb, it'd take up a lot less space & would make the download a lot faster. I usually delete the data updates anyway.

Give that lad a pat on the back, I meant to post something along these lines last week, but forgot. It took me over an hour to download the whole patch and I really could have done without the update.

This get a huge thumbs up from me :thup:

Previously SI released patches with and without updates. Not sure why they didn't this time.

I have to say I discovered bittorrent just in time for the patch. Out here connections are so slow it took me 2 full frustrating days to download the 9.2.0 patch - with various failed/corrupted attempts. Now with bittorrent it might take days, but I can have it running in the background and not worry about dropped connections. Bittorrent rules!

There are many ways of downloading the file, such as through torrents (which you can pause, stop and resume as you like), or via a download manager such as getright, which also allows you to pause and resume downloading.

You also don't have to use the updates that come with the patch if you find you don't want to use it. Plus, the data update is only a very small part of the patch. Without it, the patch file would still be of a similar size.

Archived