Counter_Attacking debate..?

I was finding defensive tactics that worked hard to come by where i was having to rely heavily on my offensive to do every thing i wanted..

After reading and gathering imformation i realised the Modern day FM need not just 1 offensive tactic but a set of tactics ranging from Counter Attacking football to Gung Hoe..

I was dominating most of my games with as much as 60% posession and having more shots and clear cut chances and ending up losing..

Since the release of 9.0.3 patch it is clear to see the ME has changes some good some up for debate..

I know from my own game that i managed to score 25 goals from corners in 1 season with my centre back scoring 15 which is very high but that's not really my main reason for this topic..

Since developing a 4-4-2 counter attacking tactic i have played 17 games, 11 wins, 3 loses, 3 draws, scored 40 goals and conceded 21..

I am in charge of Millwall and have a fairly decent team and despite finishing the season in 3rd place all season my team remained "Players are blending well together" i feel for a squad that has not bonded this is a good achievment..

Basicly since the development of my Counter attacking tactic, i am using it home and away even when im dead certs to win, the 3 games i lost in i was heavy favorutes and desided to start with an attacking out look which back fired as i found my self a goal down inside 5 minutes. switching back to Counter Attack i soon started to dominate, i took note of the comentry and the minute i started to take control of the game, it would say team x has reverted to a defensive style of football, i desided to go attacking again, where the comentry then said, they have gone more offensive and they took contorl again, switching back to Counter soon gave me the uper hand again.. I was able to turn a ht 2-0 score line into a 3-2 win for my self using counter attacking football and may be some words at HT..

The football some of this counter attacking style is showing is awsome at times, passing in triangles keeping possesion and even getting ym full backs to overlap and join in down the wings, Now this is how i want my team to play when i attack, it's amazing for counter attacking football because im not the team defending, it's clearly the AI..

How many people out there have found that Counter Attacking is extremely a leathol weapon to the extent where it may be over tuned? there's no way i turned into a tactical genius over night so somthing has to give.

What are your experiances?

I have found it works most of the time but like all tactics not ALL of the time. My 4-4-2 tactics range from short, attacking using play maker to mixed everything with playmaker, to defensive slow counter attack. I have a good record so I stick with these. I also have a mental all-out attack that I use for chasing games.

A defensive counter attacking system is a very good one, and worked well for Mourinho for a long while, and seems to be serving him pretty well in Italy too.

Just to add, anyone thinking Man U goes on the attack from the off, such as Saturday's FA cup match vs Fulham, they don't. They get possession, play it around, then when there's an opening they attack.

I know a lot of people think FM tactics are too complicated, but compared to real life football it's really quite simplistic.

but they arnt really told to play counter attacking, defensive or attacking, they are told to keep posession and be patiant, the players deside when they are going to turn defence into attack, thats somthing we can't implement on FM..

The thing that makes Utd the way they are is the players at Fergie's dissposal.

i think the reason Counter Attacking threw the centre is working so well is beacuse Si had to tune it so AMc was getting better rating's so i think the ME favours slightly more central attacking play than down the flanks.

arsenal up untill 04 were a good example of a fast attractive counter attacking side

chelsea under mourinho are another counter attacking side, less aethetically pleasing

same with porto

nowadays, the top teams play ssytems that pack the midfield with quality passers/dribblers so attacks can happen at any time

man united and barca are the 2 best teams in the world which is obviously because they are overloaded with talent

however when/if the play each other the away side will generally be the counter attacking team

Archived