Different country teams

Berwick Rangers play in Scotland even though they're English. Derry City are in Northern Ireland but play in the Republic of Ireland. Wellington Phoenix are from New Zealand and play in Australia.

They're SCOTTISH! :mad: LOL Cue border raids and sheep rustling :p

Berwick was once Scotlands main port. Nowadays it is part of England. England international Trevor Steven of Rangers and Everton came form Berwick.

Toronto FC are Canadian but playing in the USA's MLS.

ya i wouldnt even count any of these leagues as Canadian or American but rather a collective North American set of leagues because its the same sort of situation with the United Soccer Leagues which has teams from both Canada and the US because we don't know how to do it right on this side of the pond :D

ya i wouldnt even count any of these leagues as Canadian or American but rather a collective North American set of leagues because its the same sort of situation with the United Soccer Leagues which has teams from both Canada and the US because we don't know how to do it right on this side of the pond :D

The USL also have a team based in Puerto Rico and Bermuda. :D

Do Luxemborg have a team?

I cant see them having an entire leauge but I may be wrong :rolleyes:

Luxembourg has a full league system. As do Andorra and San Marino, despite their tiny size. Liechtenstein used to but it was desolved. FC Vaduz then joined the Swiss league. Oh, and although San Marino has its own league, the club of that name play in Italy.

I'm something of an expert on the subject :p

San Marino and Vaduz are the only playable ones on the mainland, sadly. Derry City, Berwick and the Welsh ones are all in the UK, and TNS play in Wales but are based just over the border. Airbus UK used to be because of where their ground's location was given as, but I think thats changed now.

There's a Chinese mainland team plays in Hong Kong - Dongguan Lianhua, if I recall. There's a South Korean and Chinese representitive in the S-League of Singapore, too.

Malaysia has two - DPMM of Brunei are intentional, there's a lower league team too who in 08 were listed as being based in Indonesia by mistake, just their stadium was listed in the wrong city. Might be fixed by now, but these leagues dont tend to get much attention.

There *is* an Andorran-based team in the Spanish lower leagues, but I think they're too small to ever get into the 2B, even with all the luck in the world. Same with Colwyn Bay in England - non-league teams cant get promoted more than once, so if they're 2 divisions off, they'll never come up. I think there's a very lower-league Italian team based in San Marino and Switzerland, but cant be 100%. There's a very minor team from France based in Switzerland too I think, but none of them are really worth mentioning because they can never become playable.

Toronto and Wellington Phoenix are the two from the leagues that have no relegation.

Another fun one that in 08 wasnt playable (by bug, I think) is an African team that play in Singapore. All their regens and player limits are just random African countries, there would be potential there but I think their league is listed wrongly so they cant come up into the S-League.

So unless you fancy south-east Asia or the franchises, you're pretty limited to San Marino, Vaduz, Berwick or the Welsh teams, really.

Oh - one more team that could be potentially interesting, Bayonne are a French/Basque team, but they dont appear to get anything special with their regens like the Spanish ones do.

Editing in: this might help - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Expatriated_football_clubs

Small places do have league structures. Here in Gibraltar, we used to have three leagues, but changed the 3rd division to a reserve division and stayed with 2 divisions. We also have leagues from Under 7's to Under 15's. Also some good (if unoriginal) team names like Manchester United and Lincoln Newcastle :D

I'm something of an expert on the subject :p

San Marino and Vaduz are the only playable ones on the mainland, sadly. Derry City, Berwick and the Welsh ones are all in the UK, and TNS play in Wales but are based just over the border. Airbus UK used to be because of where their ground's location was given as, but I think thats changed now.

There's a Chinese mainland team plays in Hong Kong - Dongguan Lianhua, if I recall. There's a South Korean and Chinese representitive in the S-League of Singapore, too.

Malaysia has two - DPMM of Brunei are intentional, there's a lower league team too who in 08 were listed as being based in Indonesia by mistake, just their stadium was listed in the wrong city. Might be fixed by now, but these leagues dont tend to get much attention.

There *is* an Andorran-based team in the Spanish lower leagues, but I think they're too small to ever get into the 2B, even with all the luck in the world. Same with Colwyn Bay in England - non-league teams cant get promoted more than once, so if they're 2 divisions off, they'll never come up. I think there's a very lower-league Italian team based in San Marino and Switzerland, but cant be 100%. There's a very minor team from France based in Switzerland too I think, but none of them are really worth mentioning because they can never become playable.

Toronto and Wellington Phoenix are the two from the leagues that have no relegation.

Another fun one that in 08 wasnt playable (by bug, I think) is an African team that play in Singapore. All their regens and player limits are just random African countries, there would be potential there but I think their league is listed wrongly so they cant come up into the S-League.

So unless you fancy south-east Asia or the franchises, you're pretty limited to San Marino, Vaduz, Berwick or the Welsh teams, really.

Oh - one more team that could be potentially interesting, Bayonne are a French/Basque team, but they dont appear to get anything special with their regens like the Spanish ones do.

Editing in: this might help - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Expatriated_football_clubs

You need some updating on the Singapore leagues.

The 'African' team pretty much don't exist anymore. They do, but they don't play any games.

For the new season (not done in FM09 patch) Singapore's league has DPMM from Brunei.

Also, Albirex Niigata from Japan has a satellite (somewhat like a B team) playing in the S-League.

Ditto Dalian from China, but they're out of it this season IRL.

The last one is the Super Reds. They're not exactly a 'foreign' team, but they're only allowed to sign Korean players. Weird, I know.

Barca, we are not actually Spanish but Catalan, does that count?

You are kinda getting away from the point here. It's not about your personal beliefs or politics.

This is a FM forum and Barcalona, whether you like it or not are SPANISH.

I live in Glasgow and support Rangers, I'm sure our 'cousins' across the city would be greatly offended to be referred to as British BUT whether they like it or not, the vast majority of them are.

A lot of people in Britain forget that legally there is no such thing as Scottish/English/Welsh etc. Everyone holds a BRITISH passport hence you have the debate over Almunia for England, Novo for Scotland etc.

So your point about Barca/Catalunya etc. is just nonsense tbh. Barcalona is in Spain, Barcalona play in the Spanish league, there Spanish born players hold Spainish passports and represent Spain in international tournaments.

Is there such a thing as a Catalonian passport? Isn't it just a region of Spain, with a local parliament, much along the lines of what we have in Scotland at Holyroyd?

woah, chill mate, didnt realise you felt so strongly on the subject, and what do you mean by my point being nonsense, you say scotland, wales and englad etc are a part of britain but still british, i said that we as Catalans are inside spain/france/angola and there is not a word of spanish on my passport! *The Preamble of the 2006 Statute of Autonomy of Catalonia states the Parliament of Catalonia defined Catalonia as a nation. Brings up another point on what you call 'regions' in spain, ever heard of a player being Basque? Or is that just a region too, i mean its a complete nationalitly, one in which you need to be in order to play for particualr teams. So to answer your question, no we are not just a region of spain, we are proudly seperate and ill thank you not to generalise us with how Scotland works. Im sorry if i have sounded offensive, it has taken us along time to be recognised as being seperate to spain and when people who do not know much about our nation make points like you it is very frustrating. I'd imagine its like calling a scot english as you are calling me Spanish.

There are seven clubs from Lichtenstein in the Swiss leagues - mostly because they don't have their own national league.

FC Balzers

FC Vaduz (Yeah, I'm aware of the opening post saying NOT this club)

FC Ruggell

FC Schaan

FC Triesen

FC Triesenberg

USV Eschen/Mauren

These clubs all play in the Swiss league, and feature in the Lichtensteiner Cup - which decides which club represents Lichtenstein in European competitions. :)

'd imagine its like calling a scot english as you are calling me Spanish.

Well, no, because Scotland isn't in England whereas Catalonia is in Spain. It's more like calling a Scottish person British. Okay, it might still irritate or anger someone from Scotland, but it's not technically inaccurate. Similarly, Catalonia is in Spain. Yes, Catalan nationality is recognised, but the region is still in Spain.

Berwick was once Scotlands main port. Nowadays it is part of England. England international Trevor Steven of Rangers and Everton came form Berwick.

Berwick-upon-Tweed were at war with Russia for 27 years until recently.

look sorry i spoke, just forget it, my nation doesnt count, you are all right, i am spanish and not Catalan you can all sleep easy

But a couple of posts earlier you wrote.....

"Originally Posted by aussieant32

Barca, we are not actually Spanish but Catalan, does that count?"

I think what you, and many others, forget, is that this is a FM forum.

NOT a football forum or a politics forum.

As far as FM/SI and everyone one in this forum is concerned Barca & Athletic Bilbao ARE Spanish, end of, NO DEBATE.

Red Star Belgrade used to be Yugoslavian, now they are called FK Crvena zvezda and classed as Serbian. I'm sure that would be a topic of great debate in many other forums, there was een a war fought over it, but this if FM and there is no disputing the facts, whether you agree with them or not.

Thats not the same situation, Red Star (who have not been renamed, thats just red star in Serbian) have always been based in a region known as Serbia. Its just that prior to its breakup that was part of Yugoslavia.

Basque and Catalan clubs are in regions that to a certain extent at least some people want to be independent. However, they are not recognized as such by anyone and so sensibly SI refers to them as Spanish clubs since they are within Spain. Its up to the game to reflect the currect situation as they did when Montenegro broke away from Serbia, it remains to be seen what will happen with Kosovo since that is a much more controversial declaration of independence and not unilaterally recognized as a seperate state.

Thats not the same situation, Red Star have always been based in a region known as Serbia. Its just that prior to its breakup that was part of Yugoslavia.

To paraphrase what you have just said.......

And Barca have always been based in a region known as Catalunya. It's just that there is no breakup and that is part of SPAIN!!!!!

why is this debate even happening? i mearly made a comment, a simple no would be fine, it was made light heartedly! I dont need anyone to tell me the history of my nation! I said you are right as i wasn't really intending that i was, and to tell me that this is FM and if i want to debate i should be posting on other forums, what about anyone esle, yourself included throwing things up like the serbian issue, c'mon lighten up, i apologise for any inconveniance i caused you!

Barca, we are not actually Spanish but Catalan, does that count?

This was your reply to the OP, which asked....

"Apart from San Marino and FC Vaduz, does anyone know if there are any teams playing in a different league to their country? (not any welsh in the English league teams either) thanks"

Your reply was just total spamming, nonsense imo!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

FC Andorra do not play in the spanish leagues. That is Andorra CF.

EDIT: actually, they do. Just checked the wikipedia page, but when doing a search for FC Andorra in game it shows they are Andorran. Maybe they get regens? ;)

Archived