Who still plays FM08?

Is there a lot of people still playing FM08? I could not for the life of me get stuck into FM09. I tried numerous times and although the new look match engine is impressive and regens physical stats better (although I must admit the further I get into FM08 season wise it does get better) I still find myself going back to FM08 because it feels more use friendly. I have to say I didn't like that some PPM's were removed as they personified some players and it was nice to have tutorship mean something. Also I saw they'd re-done the whole first teamers playing for reserves which seemed over complicated.

So who still plays FM08? Maybe if there is enough people we could make this some sort of official FM08 thread :)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im back to FM 08. And yes let's make this an official FM 08 thread. There ought to be some thread for FM 08 users. FM 09 is just too slow and not enough fun to play on with!

Hmm, personally i think 09 is a bit faster and certainly a whole lotta fun :)

So, all FM08 users, who are you managing and how is it going?

Personally I'm in my second season, in a career long save, with Fiorentina in the year 2026. First year we definately overacheived and clinched a 2nd Serie A spot. However this season has been a bit more difficult as money seems to be ahrd to come by in Serie A. It was only because I sold one of my players that I could afford to expand the squad. Funny enough the player I sold, an AMC, made most assists last season and I sold him to AC Milan and he hasn't played a single game and now is tranfer listed in their reserves. Good thing I have a 50% sell on clause on him ;)

I'm still playing FM08... because my computer is too slow to go on FM09... but I found FM08 after the 8.0.2 to be quite good game... regens aren't all that bad, it's an OK game.

After reading all those praises for FM07, tried to get back to it, but somehow couldn't don't know realy why...

The bad side of FM08 is the TRANSFER SYSTEM... somehow it's not very logic what transfer the AI makes... and the fact that a couple of seasons in the game it's virtually imposible to get a star player under $90 000 000.

I'm still playing FM08... because my computer is too slow to go on FM09... but I found FM08 after the 8.0.2 to be quite good game... regens aren't all that bad, it's an OK game.

After reading all those praises for FM07, tried to get back to it, but somehow couldn't don't know realy why...

The bad side of FM08 is the TRANSFER SYSTEM... somehow it's not very logic what transfer the AI makes... and the fact that a couple of seasons in the game it's virtually imposible to get a star player under $90 000 000.

I think your paragraph no.1 is the answer to no.3. When the game generates a super star it immediately slaps a £100m pricetag. It is something I have a friend complain about as well. However it only happens to top teams IMO. Which I think isn't too far from the truth, what team would sell their star player? That's why I usually buy potential world stars instead of trying to pursue players who virtually impossible to get.

With that said you only have to wait until a big side slips up and doesn't get into Europe and then buy the player in question for a lower price.

I was soooo into my fm08 then about 3 months ago my computer had some kind of crash and i ended up losing all my files including my fm08 game. Just gutted cant get into it no more! I managed to recover a backup of the save game but sadly its corrupt

why there are no patches for FM08 in the download section at sports interactive?

I currently have it patched with 8.0.2, but want to play with the 8.0.1 database... I suppose the 8.0.1 database is the one from the start of the season, and the 8.0.2 contains the january transfers?

Or am I wrong...?

i still go back 08 simply because of the file i had. i was stoke (local you see) and as soon as they were virtually secured promotion in april last year i started as them. did extremely well. i mean really well, really quickly. got promoted first season (that was an achievement to replicate RL), stayed up in the prem the first year, and it was all very very rosy from there onwards. i stumbled across a couple brazilian youngsters whom i sold for super inflated prices not long later and tha brought in the big bucks. the club is now one of the best in the game. i love how i transformed the club in just a couple of years. id say the most important years were the first two - going up, and staying up - and id say so for stoke in RL. come on stoke!

I'm still on FM08. My main save, I'm currently playing as West Ham for the 3rd season. I'm in 2016 I believe. The big 4 as turned into the Big 3 now. Manchester United still playing strong, Manchester City has become the other big team who causes me most of my problems, and my West Ham team are the other big club. Chelsea and Arsenal have sunk to Top Half or Midtable finishes. Basically a battle between everyone for 4th spot. Finished 3rd my first season after Roy Keane got the sack after finishing in 15th, then Manchester United decided to sign him as manager, and he's made a hell of a team. Then second season, I was able to pull off 1st place on the last game of the season. Basically it came down to me winning and Man City losing or drawing. I ended up drawing the game, and I though City had me done for, and they ended up drawing their game which kept me up top.

I have Bolton as a feeder club as well since they sunk down to Championship level. Portsmouth, Sunderland and Everton are both Championship level teams too.

Still play. Save and loading times appear to have tapered off so they aren't drastically rising any more which is a good thing. The only thing that hurts is the lack of physical attributes and some transfer quirks to me.

I really have to get down to see if I can write a program which will fix the whole regen problem (i.e. boost CA slightly, randomise PAs, give defenders decent Jumping, etc.) which I think will make the whole game much better.

I find the regen problem not so much of an issue as long as you load enough additional nations, which creates more good wonderkids and future world-beaters to balance the poorer ones which dominate.

I play FM08 because the match engine for FM09 just does not work on my relatively-new computer no matter what I download and what patch I download, and my CD drive broke so I can no longer use FM07 until I get that fixed.

Other than the match engine, FM09 looks great, but I am one of those who watches every game start to finish, so the stuttering of the FM09 match engine just got to be too much for me to take.

Tried the demo of 09 but couldn't get into it. Straight back to 08 with Norwich. Finally got them promoted from the CHampionship after slowly building a team to challenge. Premership is going well. Won 4 out of the 5 first league games. Then went on a disasterous run of 6 straight defeats. Just pulled it back with a win at Man City.

Will be sticking with 08 for a while yet.

I occasionally go back since I haven't removed it from my PC yet (two 1tb hard drives yay). Glad to see some people still playing it. I had a legendary save with Palermo going...and a good River one. Had a little bit of LLM too that should still be around.

Still play 08 as I cant seem to let go of old games - basically as it takes me so long to sort out what I'm doing I am loathe to ever finish with it :). Plus I am sure my laptop could not cope with 09.

At the moment I am near the top of league 1 with AFC Telford in 2016 after starting off unemployed and taking them as the first team that would have me.

Never left FM07, didn't get into FM08 and FM09. Sorry SI.

2012/2013 with Benfica, but winning hands down with no opposition. I migth get database of FM07 update and make a few edits in making portuguese league the top league in the world. If this is game and not reality then why not making that change? ;)

Cheers

Young Andreas looks very good indeed, especially as he has decent physical stats which is pretty rare on FM08.

Yup. Plus they've just gone up so he has 15/15 Pace/Acc and 14 stamina so he could turn out great this lad. Hopefully I'll clinch the league thsi year. So tired of coming 2nd behind Milan.

I play FM09 now but my favourite save ever was on 08 and i like to go back to it now and again just to see all my regens and so I don't forget them. I had reached 2032 which by miles the furthest I've ever gone in any FM save.

Yup. Plus they've just gone up so he has 15/15 Pace/Acc and 14 stamina so he could turn out great this lad. Hopefully I'll clinch the league thsi year. So tired of coming 2nd behind Milan.

Do you use a specific training schedule or did he just always have quite high physical stats?

i still play CM4. Owen in at Liverppol, Anelka at City, and Roman Abramovic has just bought Chelski. Good Times

Old school! I remember my star player for Bayern was Serge Makofo simply because he had high stats in pace and dribbling and would run rings around the opposition :D

I still play FM08. I haven't even considered buying 2009. It's just one of those things, I've put it so much work on this game that I can't even consider starting a new game especially considering 2009 can't be significantly better than 2008. Maybe I'll buy 2010 or 2011

Am currently in 2019 with Man Utd, after being to a few clubs in a few countries. Arsenal are totally dominant in England, so trying to stop them.

Haven't touched FM2009 yet.

Yeah I'm only in 2014 and I play as Plymouth and Arsenal is unbelievably good. They've earn over 100 pts in two consecutive years and I keep finishing 2nd. I don't know what to do.

Do you use a specific training schedule or did he just always have quite high physical stats?

I only just bought him so I have really nothing to do with the physical stats. But otherwise I do set high physicalk training in pre-season which does help a couple of points here and there wihch helps in the long run.

Yep i do.

Got a January update from sortitoutsi i think. Started as Tottenham and finished 5th 1st season because man city took 4th from me :p Liverpool are doing awful came like 15th first season have changed manager twice...

Second season got into 4th because Man city didn't do so well although it was a close fight between me A.Villa and Newcastle to get there... in the end i just managed it. Lost in Uefa cup semi's to Fiorentina on penalties and Carling cup to Chelsea after being 2-0 down at half time... managed to take it to ET with 2 defoe goals in last 15 mins but at 117mins Anelka came on and slid one in so i lost that one :(

Arsenal are pretty dominant becuase they signed stupid Pandev who seems to be a god on the game. Im in 3rd now after 12 games in the third season and top of champions league group. Lyon are second. Only games i've lost have been to Arsenal and Man U away from home. Liverpool are finally doing ok in 5th after selling the likes of Mascherano and Alonso for 30mil aswell as reina after buying akinfeev. Would of got him but £25mil was too much. I aint breakin the record fee of darren bent. Likewise with Torres could of bought him for like £50mil but didnt wanna ruin my game. Anyway im pretty happy with it :D

Arsenal are pretty dominant becuase they signed stupid Pandev who seems to be a god on the game.

Goran Pandev is good in real life too.

Just go to YouTube and see some of his game (especialy write "Pandev Una Magia").

He's no god, but he's an awesome player (Real Madrid wanted to sign him, scored twice against them in CL).

I think I have the best attacking force in the PL right now in my game with West Ham. I have 3 strikers in Nathan Delfouneso, Alex Tarweh Nimely and Toto Tamuz. They all just power through any defense. Quite nifty because if one of them has a slump in form, the other will start firing away the goals. Brilliant midfield as well. My defense is going to need some work soon though as they're all getting up there in age.

I think I have the best attacking force in the PL right now in my game with West Ham. I have 3 strikers in Nathan Delfouneso, Alex Tarweh Nimely and Toto Tamuz. They all just power through any defense. Quite nifty because if one of them has a slump in form, the other will start firing away the goals. Brilliant midfield as well. My defense is going to need some work soon though as they're all getting up there in age.

Delfouneso went to Newcastle and then Arsenal in my game and he was a pain in the butt. Nimely and Tamuz never seem to turn out great in my games and always end up in midtable teams but Delfouneso is a good buy :thup:

With my Fiorentina save I think I have the best crop of players available in the game at the moment. 3 ranked as World Class, 3 ranked as wonderkids, a striker who scores on average over a goal per game. (he has 8 in 3 at the moment in the new season :D ) and the rest are classed as leading Serie A stars by my AssMan.

Unfortunatly not a lot fo Italian talent in the team apart from my two defenders and another rotating. It's difficult to find Italian NewGens coming through :(

I still play FM08, playing as Juventus, currently in December 2011.

My team might be too good, though, with the likes of Torres, Cesc, Buffon, Vidal, Veloso, Rossi, Aguero, Aquino (tearing up Serie A playing primarily as an AMC), Seba Gio, Brazagli, Chiellini, Alves, Diarra, Sakho, Criscito, Balotelli (on loan at Siena), Saivet, Marchisio and Mirante (who has developed into a solid keeper).

:)

I was just thinking how many season i've done overall on FM08 so far and what year i would be in if i had done them all at the same team. Here is a list of my teams and season:

Dinamo Minsk - 12

Ajax - 7

Cray Wanderers - 5

Hibernian - 5

Red Star Belgrade - 3

Other - 2

Total - 34

So that would put me around the 2041/42 season. I wouldn't even want to know how much time i've spent playing this game :D

How many total seasons on FM08 has everyone else done?

Archived