Has FM/CM ever made you hate or love a real life player or team?

As the title suggests...

I actually bought an FC Basel and an Atletico Madrid shirt from the internet because I fell in love with them whilst playing FM.

Also, I have a strange affinity to Fenrando Torres and Sergio Aguero because of my Atletico adventure

Anyone else done anything as sad as that?

who do you love/hate because of the game?

As the title suggests...

I actually bought an FC Basel and an Atletico Madrid shirt from the internet because I fell in love with them whilst playing FM.

Also, I have a strange affinity to Fenrando Torres and Sergio Aguero because of my Atletico adventure

Anyone else done anything as sad as that?

who do you love/hate because of the game?

I really liked Kim Kallstrom in past editions so I like to follow him. I also check Nottingham Forests results as I have been managing them for 2 FM games now.

I'm better on FM with Forest than they are in real life but that's probably the nature of the game

I'm a huge Nico Kranjcar fan ever since he propelled my Cheltenham team into the Premiership from the depths of League Two. I guess this must have been a few years back now, it was before he moved to Portsmouth.

I'll be following the career of Oscar Ustari with interest from now on as well, he's absolutely legendary for my Man Utd team in FM08.

Like because of fm:

Maxi Rodriguez

Mark Bresciano

Ashley Young

Dani Alves

Marcelo

Fernando Torres

Carlos Javier Acuna

Dirk Kuyt (i like seeing him score, and im not gonna get that in real life atm)

Dislike because of fm:

Carlos Vela

Andy Keogh... i hate Andy Keogh

Muntari

Drogba, more than i did before anyway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ZlatanFollower:

Like because of fm:

Maxi Rodriguez

Mark Bresciano

Ashley Young

Dani Alves

Marcelo

Fernando Torres

Carlos Javier Acuna

Dislike because of fm:

Carlos Vela

Muntari

Drogba, more than i did before anyway </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you dislike Vela?

CM/FM is probably the only reason I'm into soccer as much as I am. CM 97/98 and then the CM3 series. I liked soccer before them, but I rarely saw much other than the occasional indoor game on ESPN, the APSL on SportsChannel and the weekly Premier League game SportsChannel showed for a while (which was almost always Man Utd versus whoever, on occasion Arsenal.)

Love

Ben Muirhead - (used to be free transfer, but was at Man U in later games)

Carlos Vela - Always turns out amazing

Justin Geocelin - Became my fave ever player from CM/FM. In one release he became a superstar striker, gaining England caps and all. IIRC, he's now in jail.

Julius Aghahowa - Always cheap, and a very good forward. Signed him for most clubs I managed.

Cristiano Ronaldo/Ricardo Quaresma/Thiago Motta - The ultimate trio. From about FM05 onwards, until all three made their big moves, I would always without fail sign all three from Sporting. Quaresma became a phenom in every save, Ronaldo was also amazing, and Motta was a great back up winger.

Hate

Arjen Robben. He was always a twat in-game, turns out FM had his character spot on.

I don't really hate any other players due to FM. Due to real life though, I refuse to buy certain players in FM.

As for teams...

Love

Knockbreda FC - Gundo's Challenge

Carshalton FC - Dafuge's Challenge

AFC Wimbledon - Dafuge's Challenge

Barcelona - Until FM06, My longest ever "save" was a 7 season stint with these

Rushden and Diamonds - First club I ever got promoted in the CM series

Killyleagh - Gundo's Challenge

Malta - A regen I had in a long ass save was Maltese. He became really great, and made me want Malta to do well for his sake.

I must say, Since playing in Gundo's / Dafuge's challenge, I have a lot more respect for LL teams. I do have AFC 'Don's shirt now too. (I'm an Arsenal fan). I will DEFINITELY get a Knockbreda Shirt too.

Hate

Oxford

Liverpool

Cardiff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fatboyjohnmulhern:

i dont go that far, but i often look out for results after playing a career with that team </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same with me.

Like My Save with Reading in Football Manager 07

Or now strangly enough Stalybridge with FM08 icon_confused.gif

I absolutely despise both Oxford and OFI Crete thanks to FM08.

And because of 07, I always look up Livingston's results and want them to do well.

Oh, and an item in a magazine about Rainford Kalaba left me seething with rage because he was such an awful signing for me. icon_mad.gif

I always check the results for teams that I've managed. QPR, Mantova, Rennes and Werder Bremen, but without a doubt the team that I have grown to love the most is Mantova. I never really play the EA FIFA games anymore (ever since I discovered FM), but whenever I go over my cousins house and he wants to challange me, I'll always choose Mantova and usually I'll even beat him (he always picks Arsenal/Lyon/Barce, etc..).

Ricardo Vaz Te is my favourite footballer outside of Crystal Palace, and all he had to do was score the winner in the UEFA Cup final for me in FM 2006 (for Palace).

Strangely enough, he's at Betis in my current save, and he just scored against me about an hour ago (real time) in the UEFA Cup! And i applauded the computer screen icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joeyt:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ZlatanFollower:

Like because of fm:

Maxi Rodriguez

Mark Bresciano

Ashley Young

Dani Alves

Marcelo

Fernando Torres

Carlos Javier Acuna

Dislike because of fm:

Carlos Vela

Muntari

Drogba, more than i did before anyway </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you dislike Vela? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dislike Vela because he used to score past me all the time on FM07, and then he picked up right where he left off on this game icon_frown.gif

when i was rangers in cm 01/02 my fav player has to be paddy flannery of dumbarton he had crap stats but good finishing! and i always lookd out for him on gillette soccer saturday when he was still with dumbarton! he used to score a barrel load for me in the champuions leauge and leauge! any1 else ever buy him?

As a Northern irishman I always buy David Healy and give him plenty of games but he never does that well. Always gets transfer listed as soon as I move clubs so I take him with me everywhere including Milan and Valencia but i'm still not his favourred personnel icon_frown.gif

Im With Joeyt Kallstrom is a complete legend, we even named our hamster after him at uni! the guy is immense on pro and in real life aswell! the day i'll be happy is the day the sky sports news ticker reads "Sven Goran Errikson has completed a sensational swoop for talented Olympique Lyonnais Midfielder Kim kallstrom"

I know im sad btw icon_smile.gif

oh yes, I find you do tend to build up an affinity quite often for clubs you manage, at least if it goes well. Braga are perhaps the best example, and to a lesser extent verona, although I'd had a bit of a soft spot for them already thanks to 'a season with verona', one of the reasons (of many) why when I lost my main game and didn't feel particularly motivated to start another they were really the only club I could contemplate chosing to manage. as for players, its interesting getting to know players through FM who I don't really in real life, especially if they end up becoming famous (like Bojan and Anderson) later on. I don't really hate teams or players due to FM, maybe there have been a couple of instances where a particular team seems to cross me quite a lot (or in a way that lives in the memory) but nothing really much that I would remember.

Love Canvey Island from FM06. Somehow now seem to be following their rivals (team that got promoted ahead of them), AFC Hornchurch, more.

Hate Charlton, Q.P.R., Newport County.

Don't really like Norwich now.

And I have a mild dislike for some of the other teams I face in FM.

Gretna. Took them from being the crappest team in Scotland to the best. Can't remember what version of CM that was, but it was the first time Gretna were included as a playable team. Love them now, constantly check out how they are doing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sir Thomas:

Im With Joeyt Kallstrom is a complete legend, we even named our hamster after him at uni! the guy is immense on pro and in real life aswell! the day i'll be happy is the day the sky sports news ticker reads "Sven Goran Errikson has completed a sensational swoop for talented Olympique Lyonnais Midfielder Kim kallstrom"

I know im sad btw icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He certainly deserves to be in a better league than Ligue 1

Burscough

Wolves

Lazio

Mick McCarthy (Used to hate him but developed a close friendship with him on FM)

Andrew Keogh (Absolute class for me, scored 30 goals a season and over half of them were lobs from about 30 yards)

Mendieta

Vaz Te (I remain convinced that Vaz Te has the potential to be a world class player despite all of the contrary evidence)

Collins John (As above)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Justin Geocelin - Became my fave ever player from CM/FM. In one release he became a superstar striker, gaining England caps and all. IIRC, he's now in jail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_frown.gif Just read this. I forgot all about him but he was class for me for Northampton. Thought he'd just failed to live up to his obvious potential but didn't know he was in jail.

Richie Barker (I don't hear much of him but when he scores I'm always pleased)

Hate

Milan (Always refuse to sell me any player below about £90 million and win a lot of European trophies often knocking em out along the way)

Thierry Henry (Dislike the player anyway but his FM counterpart is even worse)

Yes, the old CM2 got me into Liverpool and have been an avid fan ever since.

More recentley FM07 randomly chose FC Kobenhavn and very much love them now and therefore hate Brondby and Aab.

Also in the CM series remember having a go at Glasgow Rangers when I was quite young and not able to fully understand the rivalry between them and Celtic but found myself hating Celtic all the same (Prolly due to them being the one team more successful in the league than me!).

I forgot about Runcorn. Back in CM2 I was sacked as Man Utd manager after finishing 6th in my first season (in my defence, I was seven years old). I then took over newly-promoted Runcorn, and embarked on a fantastic LLaMaing campaign the likes of which I have systematically failed to reproduce over the past eleven years. To this day I still check the papers for Runcorn results, and remember their heady days in the Premiership.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Strager:

People actually play with real players enabled? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rarely nowadays, but used to do it in the old days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aenariel:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Strager:

People actually play with real players enabled? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rarely nowadays, but used to do it in the old days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rooney has to go...and man u. cant stand arsenal

Archived