I think I STILL suck at FM.......

Although I haven't downloaded the latest patch yet (due to almost having given up on the game) I don't anticipate the new patch has made the game easier?

I have started one game as Barnsley and i'm in January of the first season, and struggling like hell, Just gone rock bottom of the league and showing no sign of improvement. I know we are one of the favourites for the drop so that must mean my team are weaker than most in the division. Am I being particularly crap here or should I be performing better?

On FM08 I wasn't much better but I started a game as Rangers and did ok, winning the league and 1 domestic cup, even doing fine in the Champions League. Do you think i'd be better giving Rangers another go this time around just to stop me feeling like I've totally wasted my money again? Because sure as hell I will not be buying FM again if I fail with Rangers. Everything in the game points to it being a very good game, unfortunately the difficulty is far too high for me and the enjoyment simply isn't there if i'm not competing to a reasonable standard. I wouldn't mind being near the bottom of the Premier League if I was for example Stoke / WBA, and providing season-on-season we were making visible progress. But on this current game, even though I have only mustered 6 months game time, I feel as though progress is far from forthcoming.

Tactically i'm a joke and i'm getting fed up of this game. I used to love FM05 and had an all-conquering Villa side who dominated the Champions League throughout my time there. I haven't been any good since :-(

I would suggest downloading and giving the new patch a try. I think the new match engine is far better at seeing what u need to do tacticly, and for me it does represent on the field of play what i have set my team up to do.

im arsenal and struggling currently 11th in 17 games got the latest patch got beat by plymouth in the league cup 3rd round 1-0 imo its too much fiddleing with tactics both when your not playing a match and its even worse when your playing it cos you are constantly tweaking your tactics.

not everyone has that kind of time to do that.

i understand si have tried to make it as realistic as possible but not every one is a tactical genious

My list of suckitude at FM is impressive indeed. Even in the infamous FM05, I never had all that much success. I try to play the game as realistically as possible (LLM rules. Using only scouts to find players, etc) for an additional challenge. I like to tell myself that that's why I suck so bad, since most managers in real life aren't that successful.

Or maybe I really am possibly the world's worst FM player...

I agree with pricey85. You have to read. The more you read the easier it will be. Just like real soccer to have a solid club you need more then just good players. Im sure if you tweak tactics you will be surprised. Also remember that nothing happens over 1 game. For example things like club harmony or new straikers it takes time for the team to blend and for the striker to start scoring. (usually half a season). Mold the formation to your strength, when playing strong sides play more on counter attack, when playing weak sides speed up tempo and be more attacking. Consider your ass man sometimes he has good advise! like (gaps between zones). Most importantly read the Tactical Theories and Frameworks.

good luck

Archived