February Challenge - African Warriors

This is the second in a series of monthly challenges which will run for one calendar month and involve playing just one season with a chosen team. Anyone can take part as many times as they like. The aim is simple, just do as well as possible in your one season in charge.

A running medals table will be kept, with only the highest entry form each user being entered. The current table looks like this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Medals Leaderboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Username Gold Silver Bronze Challenges Played

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NeoAC 1 0 0 1

dafuge 0 1 0 1

CoachFlu 0 0 1 1

Jimbokav1971 0 0 1 1

migwar 0 0 0 1

Boskovic 0 0 0 1

</pre>

African Warriors

With the Africa Cup of Nations at the Quarter Final Stage, it seems like a great time to take a visit to Africa.

The chosen team is African Warriors who play in the South African First Division (the Mvela Golden League). They are a club with almost no history since they were established in 2006, gaining promotion in their first ever season.

The Rules

Load a game with the South African leagues only, a large database (or smaller if preferred) and the attribute masking and the transfer boxes ticked. No additional players from any nation should be loaded.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you.

Add a manager with automatic past experience and South African nationality only.

When you start the challenge, make sure you post a picture of your manager profile.

You may only sign players for whom you can obtain a scout or coach report for, this means you can only sign players from within your scouting restrictions or players who you can attract on trial to the club.

No external scouting utilities should be used and the database should be the official SI one with no non-graphical changes.

Exploiting the setting up of friendlies for reserve teams in order to make money is considered cheating.

Anything related to the challenge may be discussed in this thread, including players, tactics etc. Feel free to update as you want, I think a monthly update should be sufficient.

When you complete your season, post the following screenshots in your review:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>League Tables

<LI>Squad

<LI>Transfer History

<LI>Finances Summary

The Expectations

The media prediction is 16th.

I ran a holiday game and the result ended in a 16th place league finish, with a 1st round exit in both cups and the embarrassment of a 14-0 league loss at the hands of F.C.A.K. can you do any better?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the second in a series of monthly challenges which will run for one calendar month and involve playing just one season with a chosen team. Anyone can take part as many times as they like. The aim is simple, just do as well as possible in your one season in charge.

A running medals table will be kept, with only the highest entry form each user being entered. The current table looks like this:

Medals Leaderboard

Username                    Gold    Silver    Bronze      Challenges Played
NeoAC                       1       0         0           1
dafuge                      0       1         0           1
CoachFlu                    0       0         1           1
Jimbokav1971                0       0         1           1
migwar                      0       0         0           1
Boskovic                    0       0         0           1

African Warriors

With the Africa Cup of Nations at the Quarter Final Stage, it seems like a great time to take a visit to Africa.

The chosen team is African Warriors who play in the South African First Division (the Mvela Golden League). They are a club with almost no history since they were established in 2006, gaining promotion in their first ever season.

The Rules

Load a game with the South African leagues only, a large database (or smaller if preferred) and the attribute masking and the transfer boxes ticked. No additional players from any nation should be loaded.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you.

Add a manager with automatic past experience and South African nationality only.

When you start the challenge, make sure you post a picture of your manager profile.

You may only sign players for whom you can obtain a scout or coach report for, this means you can only sign players from within your scouting restrictions or players who you can attract on trial to the club.

No external scouting utilities should be used and the database should be the official SI one with no non-graphical changes.

Exploiting the setting up of friendlies for reserve teams in order to make money is considered cheating.

Anything related to the challenge may be discussed in this thread, including players, tactics etc. Feel free to update as you want, I think a monthly update should be sufficient.

When you complete your season, post the following screenshots in your review:

• League Tables
  • Squad
  • Transfer History
  • Finances Summary

The Expectations

The media prediction is 16th.

I ran a holiday game and the result ended in a 16th place league finish, with a 1st round exit in both cups and the embarrassment of a 14-0 league loss at the hands of F.C.A.K. can you do any better?

Just an idea dafuge, but if you make this the bottom sticky rather than the top sticky it might have more of an impact.

I have got into the habit of ignoring stickies and looking for the thread below the bottom sticky. It means that the sticky that most often catches my eye is the bottom one and not the top one.

This might be just because I have a low resolution and have to scroll down straight away just to see anything.

I'll have a go as well. Profile.

See if I can avoid getting the sack this time. A lot of work ahead, at first glance. 18 crappy youth players at the club, and the wage budget is already 90% spent. icon_frown.gif

Then again, expectations are a bit lower at this club, so maybe I'll last longer than three months this time.

Pre Season Review

I set out with the intention of finding some good players to fill my squad. I soon lowered my standards and just settled for any player I could find for each position. The players I have got are just hopeless, they are so far behind the other players in the league it is untrue.

My opening friendly against FS Stars ended in a 6-2 defeat with my team full of 16 year olds. A tour of Botswana followed, with three defeats and a draw. I did manage to beat my reserves 2-0 though which was a result.

My first game was in the cup vs FCAK. After getting excited at going 4-2 up, it all went downhill finally losing 4-6.

I seem to be 50/1 outsiders for every game apart from Hannover Park, where I am 1/10. I can't wait to see how bad they are if I am clear favourites.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoachFlu:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Yes yes yes yes yes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice. The most pleasing aspect for me is that your only goal came from a striker I just signed as well. (before I saw your screenie)

icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I've signed him aswell! but he and the whole lot of my other players wheren't eligeble for that match.... icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XaW:

Why Oh Why are all my players ineligeble for my matches....all my DC's have a pace of below 3.....NOOOOO </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you register them with squad numbers?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XaW:

Why Oh Why are all my players ineligeble for my matches....all my DC's have a pace of below 3.....NOOOOO </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you register them with squad numbers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, for my fist match, none of my signings were available, for my second match 3 of them were eligeble, and hopefully to my next match most of them will be able to play....I dunno why

Half Way Review

Results

Although there have been a lot of defeats I am pretty happy with the way the results have gone. I'm losing games, but not by a lot, hopefully in the second half of the season I can turn a few losses into draws. The two Park teams were dreadful so I'm glad I didn't drop any points there.

League Table

This is actually my lowest position of the season. Relegation looks unlikely due to the two awful Park teams, so I'm going to set myself a target of finishing 12th.

Squad

All of them were brought in on free transfers, the striker is looking like my best signing.

Nice to see you went with an African Challenge this month icon14.gif (though not my African Nations idea icon_wink.gif)

Anyway, I didn't have time to join the January challenge and my other game is starting a bit slowly so I'm going to give this a shot.

Here's my profile. Now to find some people who know how to kick a ball icon_biggrin.gif

It may seem like I'm being a bit of a quitter but after giving it a go by LLM rules (I wanted to at least try) I've discovered that there is simply no point in progressing with this save. I'm getting thumped every game with my team of 16 year olds, no scouts will apply meaning I can't sign no-one, the season is already in pieces.

I do still have the save from the beginning so playing on the same profile I'll be starting again, and just sacking the whole LLM way for this game.

Sorry. icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ThfcJoe:

Oh crap. Just noticed I didn't mask attributes. I've created a new game with it ticked, will I have to send profile again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The profile should be the same, just start again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ThfcJoe:

Ok. I'm sorry for asking too many questions, but do you think I could have a friendly with my U19's side? I'll get £0 of revenue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be perfectly fine. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Ok. I'm sorry for asking too many questions, but do you think I could have a friendly with my U19's side? I'll get £0 of revenue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be perfectly fine. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arranging friendlies in pre season is fine, the rule was just put there to warn people about exploiting the friendlies for cash issue.

Pre Season Round-up

The main priority, of course, was bringing in new players. It seems I ended up signing half of the squad from Tambo Cosmos icon_biggrin.gif and a few from Luso Africa too. I also got Orlando pirates as a parent club. They will pay a whopping 500 quid a season. Unfortunately the two players they sent on loan were AMCs and I had already signed a couple of guys there...

Anyway, down to business. A decent result in our first friendly as we came back in the second half to secure the win. We then had a pre-season tour of Namibia, where we won one, drew one and lost two.

We got a home tie against FC Cape Town in the First Division cup. Predictably we were 50-1 outsiders for the win. However, we defies those odds as we pulled off a 2-1 win!!! We have a quarter final tie now away to Maritzburg United. Let's see if we can make the semis icon_wink.gif

September 1st 2007

Pre-season over, and the season is underway.

I managed to sign 17 players on a free transfer, and a handful more on loan.

I'm reasonably pleased with squad depth and quality. I think it'll still be a fierce battle against relegation, but I did manage to bring in some decent players for every position.

Filling the goalie position was the toughest task. I only managed to find one goalie willing to sign, who is better than the 16 year olds in the squad, but still not all that good - as the first results will show. Luckily I managed to find a loan goalie just before the transfer window closed. He's still injured for 3 weeks though, so we'll have to make do until then.

Our first official match of the season was a First Div Cup match against the Nathi Lions. And a great debut it was for an all-new squad! This made me quite hopeful before the start of the league matches.

League results:

Tuks - African Warriors: 2-2

Ikapa Sporting - African Warriors: 3-3

First Div Cup Qtr Final:

Black Aces - African Warriors: 3-0

Except for the Tuks match, where we were a bit fortunate, we had at least as many chances as our opponents each time. We're quite vulnerable at the back though. Hopefully that will improve once the new goalkeeper is fit.

But so far I'm quite hopeful of being able to avoid relegation.

pre-season

Signed 10 players before the league started with hopefully a few more to come.

0:1 Reserves (embarassing!)

2:3 FS Stars (good result IMO, they are Premier Div.)

2:1 U19's (Too close for my liking)

I also sold a record-breaking 47 season tickets icon_biggrin.gif

First Few Games

A massive 50-1 for the 1st round tie versus F.C.A.K, we were always going to be up against it. The games went like so...

1:2 F.C.A.K - Gutted, but was chasing the game from the kick-off, consolation from new midfielder Ranyawa on 90mins.

3:4 Ga-Rankuwa Utd - Ouch. 2-0 and 3-2 up, but went on to concede late on. The signs are promising but if we keep leaking goals then it may be a long season. New midfielder, Ngaka, got a double and was named Man of the Match.

1:3 Durban. Yet another consolation goal at full-time, scored by Ngaka who now has 3 in 3.

So, three games in, I'm out the First Division cup, but at least I'm not sitting bottom! The Dynamos have that specific honour. Things can only get better - can't they? I'll report back in Jan 08.

Archived