Why is championship manager 01/02 so popular?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I prefer cm 97/98, although 01/02 is good. I dont know why people prefer it tho', reminiscent memories of when a lot of hardcore players first got into the series possibly.

Have a look on ebay for a copy, or even try pc world, and have a go, then you will understand

In a few words? Just because it was awesome! :D

But I never play older versions. CM0102 was the best game for its time and I enjoyed it like no other manager, but there's no way I'll play that again. I'm playing fm09 today, as I'll be playing fm2010 the next year and so on :)

You could blitz through the game with a number of super tactics, and super players. A limited amount of leagues meant that you could run all of them. It was the final of the CM3 series, and as SI were then as they do now implementing changes gradually, it was the culmination of what they had learnt throughout the CM3 series. It was also the game where the on-line community really began to take off. There had been one before, but it really expanded with 01/02. From which the super tactics and super players flowed.

It was also when I first noticed people complaining about Super-keepers, too many shots for so few goals, the AI asking for ludicrous amounts of money when attempting to buy the worlds best players and that SI had made it so that the game would decide you would lose and there was nothing you could do! Even though you had a Super Tactic and the Worlds Best players! And what about all these injuries eh?

and there was in those days no such things as bugs!!

It had at least three patches, the last of which tended to make long games unstable. And even then there were bugs such as managers not being replaced for teams that were in a background league. Fixtures getting so congested that once I saw a Spanish season that had 99 games played in a single day. Again in Spain, Barcelona C winning not only the league but the Champions League. And of course, there were people who didn't have computers that could cope with it then.

There's a lot of nostalgia for the game, but it occasionally is too rosey eyed. It had problems. It was still fun though. Still can be. So long as you accept what's in the game and play to those parameters, not to what you think should be.

I have no idea why anyone would prefer CM 01/02 to FM 09 to be honest, I spent a few hours downloading it the other day, started it up all excited...

And it was absolutely ££££!

Is it because it doesn't have flashy graphics?

Since i saw this thread i've decided to download it, can anyone tell me what the best tactics are and who the best players are, thanks

Some good players I can remember and tactics on CM0102:

TACTICS:

...FC......FC...

......AMC........

..MC.MC.MC.....

DL..DC..DC..DR

........GK.........

Have your left back and right back run up to alongside the midfield.

Have the the two wider midfield players run out towards the corner flags.

Have your attacking midfielder run inbetween the strikers.

PLAYERS:

DL: Julio Arca

DC: Taribo West (free, I think)

DC: Imbrahim Said (or something along those lines, just type in Said)

MC: Stefan Selakovic

MC: Josep Guardiola (free, I think)

MC: Kennedy Barkigulahuishussiiepkfihfish (dont know his last name, looks something like that though, haha)

AMC: Kim Kalstrom

FC: To Madiera (must buy, only about 20,000 as well)

FC: Kevin Phillips (played well around that point in his career)

ALSO consider theese players:

Lucas Neil

David Prutton

I will take a look on my windows 98 PC sometime and give a list of some more quality players

People like it because it was a quality game at the time. I still play the game unpatched. There are no serious bugs in the game (like further releases) and at the time even an average computer could easily do a season in 5-6 hours. It mixed pleasure with speed. Players personality seemed to shine a bit more in the gmae i thought. Anelka was a prime example of this. You would sign him and he would be content at the club. Ive seen him at clubs where hes got upto 10 negative comments about the club/manager/players where he was.

It was amazing at the time, but i recently downloaded it and it sucks so bad.

TBH my best of all time is still fm07, it was cm 01/02 before that, so it looks like the game goes in 5 year cycles i guess - meaning we wont see another good FM until 2012 :(

Why is ten years old game considered to be best in series by many?

its considered the best in the series by people who enjoyed it more at the time than they enjoy FM09, CM9798 was my first, favourite and best in the series because of how much i liked it at the time, but obviously its not as good in 2009

I consider ISS on the original Playstation to be the best football game ever but i would think it was crap if i played it for the first time today

I'm guessing it's still considered best in series by many because it was fast, easy and most importantly, FUN! You could just pick it up and play without the need of reading hundreds of pages of tips and guides, that most of the time don't even work, in order to succeed. It wasn't very realistic but let's be honest, the match engine in FM 09 isn't very realistic either and the game is now nowhere near as fun as it used to be.

Personally I don't think CM 01/02 is best in series but I can certainly see why would someone prefer it over the newer versions. Most people who didn't play it would probably not like it now but at that time, it was a brilliant game.

I do remember the stadium expansion bug where stadiums in Brazil and Italy would grow out of control, which was later fixed in a later patch. One World Cup Final at the Maracana in the 2040s was played in front of 620,000 fans in my game iirc.

I remember it was the days before internet was readily available (at least for me) and I actually found the game incredibly difficult at first. But once you got a hang of where to look for players you'd soon dominate, even if it did take you quite a while to reach the top.

CM 01-02 was simple, easy and fast! It made tactical importance low and introudced many successful new features and there was in those days no such things as bugs!!

i love how people look back on things with a nice pair of rose tinted glasses. CM0102 needed quite a few patches, just like all the others in the series

i love how people look back on things with a nice pair of rose tinted glasses. CM0102 needed quite a few patches, just like all the others in the series

Gawd its funny how you always remember some of the "must have players from thsese games"

I saw West and Kallstrom and started laughing, i gave 01/02 some hard play when i was at Uni !!

Was that the one with Simon Davey and Matthew Etherington also ?

I remember that they were awesome and "oddly" (lol) both got signed to Spurs IRL

Sometimes i wonder if someone at Spurs was sat on CM

A number of reasons

People jumping on the band wagon. Saying a previous version is better gives people a justified reason for criticizing new games without being labelled trolls for doing so

It's easy for nostalgia to cloud a persons judgement. CM 01/02 had many bugs, it was very unrealistic in many areas, it was too shallow and the commentary was repetitive, but it was the best we had available back then so we knew no better

It was easy to exploit, it was easy to win, it was easy to finish seasons in a few hours. Perhaps that's why it's so favourable amongst the rushers who are so eager to get through seasons (why I have no idea)

It's easy to look at old games with rose tinted glasses, we only remember the good points, but in reality CM 01/02 is not even on the same level as the FM series, at least not if you are serious about football managing games

is it the one with the red box? if so i was still playing that up until 08 came out

Yep.

The game where you could build a team from the swedish league for a few million and take on the world.

Speed - you could easily get through a season in a few hours. Nowadays I have to play for over 24 hours just to get through half a season.

Maxim Tsigalko and Andri Sigporsson, the actual players stats didn't seem to matter at times, the strikers either had it and scored by the shedload or they didn't.

Supertactics that took advantage of the bug in the match engine.

It was just immense fun at the time. Bigger isn't always better. It was easy to get into and hard to get out of.

Nostalgia often disappoints, but I still get the craving to play this every year or 2 for a while.

• Administrators

As strange as it is, speaking about that "nostalgia often disappoints", I've always tend to find with previous series that as much as I loved 0102 and 9798 (my personal favourite), going back to them now is just unplayable for me. Not in the sense of enjoyment, but understanding the game. The series has evolved so much technically that I find the game easier to deal with and manage ingame than previous versions. I'm never quite sure why.

0102 with the "super tactics" and things I never agreed with, though on the whole the game was enjoyable. I just found the gameplay for me made my preferred style of LLM too difficult during the CM3 series for some reason - I always used to start with Rochdale or Wigan Athletic in 9798 days!

Its got me all thinking and I would love to go back and play 9798 now.Trouble is I need to get BootCamp set up and find an emulator to slow the processor down!.....

This is a good thread - its nice to read this and remember just how much I love the series, just a shame I can't put in as much hours as I used to.

I recently played 01/02 and just couldn't get along with it at all. The GUI is just awful to use and ugly (back then it was the dogs...). Lots of features I've now taken for granted in the recent years (2007-2009) I find it hard to deal without. Knowing where a players best position is for example is now key when selecting transfer targets. Granted I've also grown up a lot more and I enjoy the tactical aspects of the game more than back then when it was still a bit of fun. That whole positioning thing (wibble/wobble?) in 01/02 still confuses me to this day too. Hell I went back to playing 2007 a few weeks back and struggled to cope without my fitness view for my squad (having to look up each players fitness is now considered a pain to me, especially during pre-season).

Whilst the game was amazing then (I do prefer CM2) and a whole lot of fun I don't think I could ever really go back to using a system like that now that I've been spoilt by features of FM.

A number of reasons

People jumping on the band wagon. Saying a previous version is better gives people a justified reason for criticizing new games without being labelled trolls for doing so

It's easy for nostalgia to cloud a persons judgement. CM 01/02 had many bugs, it was very unrealistic in many areas, it was too shallow and the commentary was repetitive, but it was the best we had available back then so we knew no better

It was easy to exploit, it was easy to win, it was easy to finish seasons in a few hours. Perhaps that's why it's so favourable amongst the rushers who are so eager to get through seasons (why I have no idea)

It's easy to look at old games with rose tinted glasses, we only remember the good points, but in reality CM 01/02 is not even on the same level as the FM series, at least not if you are serious about football managing games

People remember only the good points if they thought the game was actually great at the time. If people didn't like it then they wouldn't be too nostalgic about it would they?

After that game came CM4, regarded by some as the worst in the CM/FM series, and some people didn't like the direction the game was evolving so they stuck with CM01/02. They didn't like the games that followed either, so they stuck with CM01/02. The reality that its not on the same level as FM is only your opinion and belittling those for simply not following the herd is poor in mine. There will always be bugs in every game, but not everyone places the same importance on the ones in CM01/02 that you and the same goes for the realism. I could say it is easy for you to look back now and say the game was unrealistic when you have FM09 sitting on your hard drive.

In a few words? Just because it was awesome! :D

But I never play older versions. CM0102 was the best game for its time and I enjoyed it like no other manager, but there's no way I'll play that again. I'm playing fm09 today, as I'll be playing fm2010 the next year and so on :)

I also do the same thing!

Because it was the best, most awesome game ever!

A tribute to how good it was is that on Ebay, a revised copy of the game including January transfers and every new player etc, with background pics was sold for £28 on ebay.

I bidded £1 :(

Somebody got ripped off. The game itself is available for free and the data updates are made at http://www.champman0102.co.uk/forum/

01/02 was awesome, the game was fun then, whilst I do enjoy the tactical side of the later versions, because of time constraints and other responsibilites I never get further than 5 or 6 years into the game, 01/02 I regularly got 25 years or so in, I remember taking Rushden & Diamonds to champions league success in that version.

May go on a nostalgia trip on download it!

Archived