+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Manager Wiki

Third Team

Default Re: Football Manager Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal_2111 View Post
    I've finished Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United(which took A LOT of work) and Wigan.

Seeing as the new Wiki has been made by all of us, should we change the introduction a bit?

At the moment it says

I think the second sentence needs changing a little, to give us all a little credit instead of just peter. Who fully deserves the credit, fwiw, for creating the first one.
    Also about the home page. Do we want to change it to make it look not like Wikipedia but have it laid out with not just a list of articles?

For example have coloured boxes with the text in them, a header at the top with Welcome to FMWiki or something? And then have links to different sections up there or whatever?

If you have a look at Wikipedia's home page, you will see a bit about what I mean.

Just throwing out some ideas for if not now for trying to improve the layout when we feel we need to.

EDIT: Just saw snootyjim's post. Panels was the word I wanted instead of boxes.

Reserves

Ok, MLS page all updated on the new site.

Hope to make some individual team pages, along with individual player FM wiki pages for MLS players in the near future.

Reserves
    www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk - the ultimate Football Manager Resource!

The Premier League page is really starting to do well, all guides I have been given permission for have been done.

I may make some player guides, but I'm not sure yet.

Third Team

If anyone has a look at my user page on the wiki, you will see a banner. That was something I was thinking of to start of with on the home page. Obviously it can be changed colour wise, text wise and so on and I just threw in a few links. What do people think of something like that?

Oh yeah I meant to say about this on the last wiki and I forgot. I never knew Sunderland was Sunderland Athletic. Is that right?

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by jod123 View Post
    If anyone has a look at my user page on the wiki, you will see a banner. That was something I was thinking of to start of with on the home page. Obviously it can be changed colour wise, text wise and so on and I just threw in a few links. What do people think of something like that?

Oh yeah I meant to say about this on the last wiki and I forgot. I never knew Sunderland was Sunderland Athletic. Is that right?
    Their full name is Sunderland Athletic Football Club. Do you think I should change it to just Sunderland? If you search for Sunderland it comes up anyway, as a redirected page. Still, if you think it would be better as just Sunderland then it's no problem.

Part-Timer

Yeah I chucked in the redirect for that very reason... I think we should stick with official names for the club pages though, it looks a bit more professional and is more consistent if you know what I mean.

As for the home page, I think something like this or this could be good. As they're examples of gamewikis I thought they might be a good place to start.

Third Team

Their full name is Sunderland Athletic Football Club. Do you think I should change it to just Sunderland? If you search for Sunderland it comes up anyway, as a redirected page. Still, if you think it would be better as just Sunderland then it's no problem.
    Another Wiki - Wikipedia has this:

Sunderland Association Football Club are a professional association football club based in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England, that compete in the Premier League.
    ;)

Part-Timer

I've finished Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United(which took A LOT of work) and Wigan.

Seeing as the new Wiki has been made by all of us, should we change the introduction a bit?

At the moment it says

I think the second sentence needs changing a little, to give us all a little credit instead of just peter. Who fully deserves the credit, fwiw, for creating the first one.
    Really good work there arsenal_2111. Just a tiny point, the second last sentence on the disclaimers read "...I can not guarentee that the below is the exact ..." It should say 'above'. Oh and you spelt guarantee wrong ;)

Quote Originally Posted by snooty_jim View Post
    I agree, but I think to be honest the whole front page / introduction could probably do with gutting.

Eventually it would be nice to see a structured page with various panels like you would for a typical gamewiki, and all of that type of information from above could be moved into its own 'About Wiki' page or similar.

Hence, maybe it's better to leave it for now, and wait until there's something more substantial in the way of pages whose links can then be used to populate the main page?
    Yes I agree with this also.

Part-Timer

;)
    That's that sorted then

Part-Timer

I've got to get on with fixing my dad's laptop so I'm done for the night.

Will pop back next time I have a few free minutes, there must be tonnes of content we can add to this thing!

Third Team

Anyway, I am off to bed.

Glad you liked the banner snooty_jim.

What you think of the panel that I have now on my page? It is similar to Wikipedia but obviously could be changed.

Anyway, great work everyone.

Lost of club articles, Arsenal which is great.

Reserves

Anyway, I am off to bed.

Glad you liked the banner snooty_jim.

What you think of the panel that I have now on my page? It is similar to Wikipedia but obviously could be changed.

Anyway, great work everyone.

Lost of club articles, Arsenal which is great.
    Aw boo! No respect for the MLS article! :mad: ;)

Good night jod.

Part-Timer

Just looked at the MLS article and it's excellent, well done Rancer

I'm off to bed myself now. Jod, i've just added an article about League Standard, can you check it over tomorrow and see if you agree with what i've written, i think you also have a bit of knowledge about this area if memory serves me correct.

Well done guys, the Wiki is coming along nicely

Banned

If you want to change the front page, change it. I initially made that when I first got the wiki and I am suprised no one has changed it yet. Do what you like

First Team Regular

Slightly annoying is that the page is too wide and I have to scroll across sideways.

I hate scroll bars

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    Slightly annoying is that the page is too wide and I have to scroll across sideways.

I hate scroll bars
    Me too, the layout definitely needs to be improved in the future.

Third Team

I have no sideways scrollbars strangely, & I'm using a laptop with a relatively small screen.

Third Team
    "Football isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that."

Only just caught up with this. Can we put images in?

I was going to make an article on setting up your game.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by weeeman27bob View Post
    Only just caught up with this. Can we put images in?

I was going to make an article on setting up your game.
    We need JJay to give us privileges to put in images. So no, not yet.

Third Team

Ok.

I'll still make the article, but without images for the time being.

Third Team

I want to make a new page called "Setting up your game" but I don't know how to.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    Because the interface of the free site won't allow us too.

If you look at any other wiki site, none of them look like Wikipedia.
    You sure

http://www.grimepedia.co.uk/wiki/Grime_Wikipedia:About

Third Team

Galactus - I think CaptainPlanet was just trying to say that not all wikis look like wikipedia, & not that none of them do.

We've moved to a more wikipedia-esque site now anyway.

Reserves

There's already a football manager wikipedia site up, although it doesn't go talk about clubs like your one does, or as much detail.

http://footballmanager.wikia.com/wik...l_Manager_2009

You might already know this, I was just pointing it out.

EDIT: Just noticed that you already knew this. My bad
    Last edited by DiscoStu94; 20-02-2009 at 12:43.

Reserves

Oh right, sorry. I had always thought that it stood for Sunderland Athletic! Would you be able to change the page name for me please, it doesn't seem to be letting me

Quote Originally Posted by small Mac View Post
    Really good work there arsenal_2111. Just a tiny point, the second last sentence on the disclaimers read "...I can not guarentee that the below is the exact ..." It should say 'above'. Oh and you spelt guarantee wrong ;)
    Thanks for pointing that out, with most of them I changed that but as I just copied it from the old site is said below. What page did I forget to change it on?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStu94 View Post
    There's already a football manager wikipedia site up, although it doesn't go talk about clubs like your one does, or as much detail.

http://footballmanager.wikia.com/wik...l_Manager_2009

You might already know this, I was just pointing it out.

EDIT: Just noticed that you already knew this. My bad
    I'm pretty sure that was linked to near the start of the thread, and we decided that it was a bit out of date. Tbh I think a official site rather than a signup thing is better. Thanks anyway

josh9393

have been following this great project for the last few days and would love to get involved if that's ok.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by josh9393 View Post
    have been following this great project for the last few days and would love to get involved if that's ok.
    You're very welcome as far as I'm concerned

Reserves

Thanks to whoever changed Sunderland's

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal_2111
    Thanks for pointing that out, with most of them I changed that but as I just copied it from the old site is said below. What page did I forget to change it on?
    Never mind, realised that there was two places that it was meant to be changed, and I'd only done one. But they are all changed now, as it the spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by josh9393 View Post
    Of course you can get involved, anyone can as long as they know a lot about the subject they are writing about and the articles are of a high quality.

If you do write one, let us know what it is so we can make sure that no-one else does it/is doing it.

Good luck

-------------------------

For the Premier League, shouldn't the page be called 'English Premier League Clubs' not 'Premiership Clubs', as EPL is from FM, and Premiership is the old term. As far as I know I'm not allowed to change title, so I would appriciate it if someone else could do that.

Third Team

Seems sensible.

Make sure the english league threads are listed by divison rather than alphabetical order though.

Third Team

I'll start working on tags for the articles now.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by ahmufcwafc View Post
    I'll start working on tags for the articles now.
    Are you an admin on it? If so, would you be able to change the name of the Premier League page please? Either to Premier League, English Premier League, English Premier Division. Just something more FM-like.

Third Team

Are you an admin on it? If so, would you be able to change the name of the Premier League page please? Either to Premier League, English Premier League, English Premier Division. Just something more FM-like.
    I'm an admin, but I don't seem to have the privileges to edit the title either. What you could do is make a new page with the 'Premier League Clubs' title, copy & paste everything from the old page into it, & replace the old Premiership page with the new Premier League one.

Semi Pro

Ive just added a Liverpool manager histroy but i cant make it look as good as some of the others :s

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by HuwFlet View Post
    Ive just added a Liverpool manager histroy but i cant make it look as good as some of the others :s
    I fixed it up a bit for you Huw.

Reserves

I'm an admin, but I don't seem to have the privileges to edit the title either. What you could do is make a new page with the 'Premier League Clubs' title, copy & paste everything from the old page into it, & replace the old Premiership page with the new Premier League one.
    Alright, I've done that. It's all linked up, but the page 'Premiership Clubs' is still there. Do you know how to redirect it to the new page, or to delete it altogether?

I've sent out some PM's asking for permission to use club threads, to all writers of Premier League threads. Hopefully the Prem should be done by the end of the day.

Third Team

Alright, I've done that. It's all linked up, but the page 'Premiership Clubs' is still there. Do you know how to redirect it to the new page, or to delete it altogether?

I've sent out some PM's asking for permission to use club threads, to all writers of Premier League threads. Hopefully the Prem should be done by the end of the day.
    Just delete the old page & replace it with the new one. That's the best we can do I think.

Good to hear we might have the Premiership page complete soon

Reserves

Just delete the old page & replace it with the new one. That's the best we can do I think.

Good to hear we might have the Premiership page complete soon
    Yeah, but how do I delete a page? There doesn't seem to be an option to do that.

Fulham, Villa and Newcastle have just been done.

Third Team

Yeah, but how do I delete a page? There doesn't seem to be an option to do that.

Fulham, Villa and Newcastle have just been done.
    Oh, I guess only admins can delete pages. Could you link me to the page you want deleted?

Reserves

Oh, I guess only admins can delete pages. Could you link me to the page you want deleted?
    I can't link you to it, because every page seems to be the home page adress

But it's the page called 'Premiership Clubs'

Third Team

Right, it should be gone now.

The amount of progress we've made in such a short space of time is fantastic. KUTGW guys!

Part-timer

Youth Team

I will register and do some work on some articles now.

Youth Team

Attributes

Just did this quick article on attributes.

Reserves

Guys, how do you do redirections? I've made Olympique Lyonnais' page, but want to make it so 'Lyon' redirects there. Any idea how?

Third Team

Guys, how do you do redirections? I've made Olympique Lyonnais' page, but want to make it so 'Lyon' redirects there. Any idea how?
    I tried to figure this out earlier. Don't have a clue, it's all so complicated.

Youth Team

I will link it for you if you have posted it.

You go to the page you want to link it from and do a thing like this:

[[Lyon]]

Youth Team

BTW, do you prefer the layout of the Premiership teams, i just changed it because it looked messy.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by pnefc22 View Post

[[Lyon]]
    I don't think that's what he's talking about though. He said that he wants people to be redirected to the Olympique Lyonnais page when they type 'Lyon' into the search box.
    BTW, do you prefer the layout of the Premiership teams, i just changed it because it looked messy.
    Much better

Reserves

Hmm, thanks anyway. Will have to ask someone who is used to the site.

------

Rob, thanks, but like said that's not really what I meant.

Reserves

Yeah, it's better now.

I did it yesterday, but I'm concentrating on getting the team screens done at the moment so I didn't put muchtime into it.

Banned

No biggy but XML passing error should read XML parsing error

Third Team

What is the new website URL and has everything been moved over as i have been out for the past 2 days

Youth Team

I have also edited the About Me, attributes and added a Wonderkid page.

What do you think?

Sorry arsenal, I don't know how to make the article appear in the search. I misintepreted what you said.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Trux View Post
    No biggy but XML passing error should read XML parsing error
    My bad Trux, feel free to correct me

Third Team

I don't think it's really necessary to say who wrote the article tbh, unless they were taken from someones thread in the GPTG Forum.

Third Team

Alan, what is the new URL?

Third Team

Youth Team

Edit my name out if you want from my articles.

I just thought that we had to add that at the end of each article to give credit to the maker.

Third Team

Cheers Alan, been out all day.

Third Team

Edit my name out if you want from my articles.

I just thought that we had to add that at the end of each article to give credit to the maker.
    No, that was only for writers of the GPTG club threads that gave Arsenal_2111 permission to use their club threads for the wiki.

People can see that you wrote the article by looking at the history page

Third Team

The Crewe article is in the wrong place, it should be in a League One section and i shall make one. I shall also transfer my Wycombe article over from the old site in approx. 30 mins after my tea.

Third Team

Can someone please do my editing for me as i need to create a new user and my email is down at the moment as i am switching supplier. Cheers to whoever does it in advance

Part-Timer

From that it looks like only JJay will be able to change the settings for it.
    I've enabled uploads now

Part-Timer

Ok i'm going to start working on a Stadiums article. I think it is a good idea for any articles people decide to work on to put up a link on the homepage first to show people it's in the process of being done (as i've done with 'Stadiums' or like 'Regen Editing - How to add your own regen - Coming Soon' for example). That way people don't have to search through this thread just to check what is under construction.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by hamilton162 View Post
    Can someone please do my editing for me as i need to create a new user and my email is down at the moment as i am switching supplier. Cheers to whoever does it in advance
    I'll get on it now then.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    I've enabled uploads now
    Thanks so much again JJay
    Ok i'm going to start working on a Stadiums article. I think it is a good idea for any articles people decide to work on to put up a link on the homepage first to show people it's in the process of being done (as i've done with 'Stadiums' or like 'Regen Editing - How to add your own regen - Coming Soon' for example). That way people don't have to search through this thread just to check what is under construction.
    Good idea, I think we should stick to this

Third Team

I have done the editing for you now Hamilton

Has anyone figured out how to upload images? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it

Part-Timer

Should see an "upload file" link bottom left

Then to include it in a page you type [[Image:xxx.jpg]]

Third Team

Ahmufcwafc, go to special pages, and there should be an upload file link in there.

Also regarding some discussion further yup to rename a page all you do is move the page.

Thanks again JJay.

Also glad to see more people getting involved.

Third Team

Cheers JJay.

So I've run into another problem. I don't think this is the look we're going for. Any idea how to change the alignment of the image?

Third Team

I've edited the home page. Is the banner and panel ok or what changes do people want?

Third Team

I've edited the home page. Is the banner and panel ok or what changes do people want?
    Looks much better if you ask me

But why does it say we only have 15 English articles?

Third Team

Lay it out in a table as it looks neater, but with no lines. But if the lines have to be included, make them an attractive colour. Don't change it unless other people want it though

Third Team

Cheers JJay.

So I've run into another problem. I don't think this is the look we're going for. Any idea how to change the alignment of the image?
    [[File:Example.jpg|none|caption]]
    Change none to whatever alignment you want i.e. right, left or center.

If you want to put in a caption put it in as above.

Also you can specify a border, size and vertical alignment if you want.

Third Team

Looks much better if you ask me

But why does it say we only have 15 English articles?
    I think it does not consider stubs as articles. They need to be of a certain length to be articles I think.

Quote Originally Posted by hamilton162 View Post
    Lay it out in a table as it looks neater, but with no lines. But if the lines have to be included, make them an attractive colour. Don't change it unless other people want it though
    Yeah you can make a table without borders with this.

What links do people want in the banner?

Also would working with categories be easier especially as we add more articles.

They allow you to just specify a pages categories at the end of the article and they are automatically added to that category.

Third Team
    Lead Writer for http://footydiary.wordpress.com/

How do I enable cookies for the site?

Reserves

What links do people want in the banner?
    I would like two team links in there if possible. The Lyon one is one of the better ones imo, as is either the Arsenal or Man Utd one. Would like two of them in if possible.

Also, here is the list of teams I have done. It's getting there!;

http://community.sigames.com/showpos...95&postcount=4

EDIT: For Blue Square North/South, shall we have a seperate page for each or both on one page?
    Last edited by arsenal_2111; 20-02-2009 at 20:27.

Part-Timer

[[Lyon]]
    For future reference, it is

#REDIRECT [[pagename]]

I've done the Lyon page for you as an example

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by ssestig View Post
    How do I enable cookies for the site?
    Enable Cookies in Mozilla Firefox

1. Click on Tools and select Options.
    2. Click on the Privacy tab.
    3. Under Cookies, ensure that Accept cookies from site is ticked.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Quit/exit Mozilla Firefox after you change settings and then re-start the application.

Enable Cookies in Internet Explorer

1. Click on Tools and select Internet Options.
    3. Either:

* move the slider to Medium High, Medium, Low or Accept all cookies, or
    * click on the Advanced button, select Override automatic cookie handling, then select Always allow session cookies.

4. Click OK.
    5. Quit/exit Internet Explorer after you change settings and then re-start the application.

Part-Timer

Do we need to have any links on the banner? Personally i don't think links are needed at the minute as they're easily accessible at the moment and it would look a bit neater without them.

Who's Josh9393 - good article on board takeovers btw

josh9393

Who's Josh9393 - good article on board takeovers btw
    That's me. thanks a lot.

EDIT: good article on stadiums
    Last edited by josh9393; 20-02-2009 at 20:47.

Third Team

I would like two team links in there if possible. The Lyon one is one of the better ones imo, as is either the Arsenal or Man Utd one. Would like two of them in if possible.

Also, here is the list of teams I have done. It's getting there!;

http://community.sigames.com/showpos...95&postcount=4

EDIT: For Blue Square North/South, shall we have a seperate page for each or both on one page?
    I think if you have enough information to make it two good sized articles then they should be split otherwise keep them as one.

About the links in the banner, how would everyone feel if I created categories based on the current articles section on the home page?

I could then place links to the categories in the banner.

[[Category:Editing]] - If you put that at the end of your article it would add it to the Editing Category for example.

Third Team

4. Click OK.
    5. Quit/exit Mozilla Firefox after you change settings and then re-start the application.

3. Either:

* click on the Advanced button, select Override automatic cookie handling, then select Always allow session cookies.

4. Click OK.
    5. Quit/exit Internet Explorer after you change settings and then re-start the application.
    Thank you JJay.

Amateur

If I could make a request please. Would one or a couple of you knowledgeable people perhaps consider putting together a little strategy on the best formations and tactics to use or what works well for you? Its so that those of us (such as me for example) who aren't too experienced at the game, can have a basic understanding and start to maybe be a little more successful, as I for one keep losing matches and it is really frustrating for me and im sure it is for a handful of others as well.

Many Thanks

Third Team

4. Click OK.

3. Either:

4. Click OK.
    Thank you JJay. I've edited the info on the Crewe page slightly to include a first choice 11.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
    If I could make a request please. Would one or a couple of you knowledgeable people perhaps consider putting together a little strategy on the best formations and tactics to use or what works well for you? Its so that those of us (such as me for example) who aren't too experienced at the game, can have a basic understanding and start to maybe be a little more successful, as I for one keep losing matches and it is really frustrating for me and im sure it is for a handful of others as well.

Many Thanks
    Hopefully somebody with better tactical knowledge than me can do that.

I have created a Gameplay articles and put all the articles on the home page under that heading into it. Everyone ok with that?

Reserves

I have created a Gameplay articles and put all the articles on the home page under that heading into it. Everyone ok with that?
    I thought that was there before actaully, but it looks good

I've almost finished all of the clubs I have permission for.

Part-Timer

Anybody got a better icon you want in the top left yet?

Third Team

I'll request a badge on Neji's site if you guys want, but what style do you want?

Or were you offering us a badge here?

Third Team

I thought that was there before actaully, but it looks good

I've almost finished all of the clubs I have permission for.
    Thanks. I meant a gameplay category rather than article.

I was wondering why that just disappeared.

I think Neji is going to create one. Has he being asked?

Part-Timer

Awesome - kudos to Neji

Reserves

I'm back. Uploading pictures for my MLS page as we speak.

JJay, please check a certain website for some spot on info. ;)

Youth Team

I think that we should have a seperate page for them.

Shall I write a team guide for Redditch in the BSN?

I will be able to do it because I am maaging them and am in my third season so I have plenty of good advise for them.

Just a question, has anyone got a premium rapidshare account?

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post

Many Thanks
    I can do something about that. It will be at its best though once I have finished my 'Ultimate Tactic' thread.

Although, I say that I am quite good with tactics, normally.

Youth Team

'Regen Editing - How to add your own regen - Coming Soon

This one is mine

I think that it is an excellent idea so that we don't have people doing the same article twice.

Youth Team

I have added in some articles - pages.

I edited the Championship page ot make it look clearer and added some titles and stuff.

I created the BSN and BSS page.

I created the Ukranian High/Super League

I added the articles which I will create and put coming soon next to them to show people not to make these articles as they are being created.

Reserves

Can I ask who is making a Shakther page? There is already one here, so if you like I can contact coolbananas and as for permission to use that. Should save you some time.

Ah, I see it is Rob. Well, if you want to make one that's fine. But this could save you some time.

Youth Team

I have done a Shakhtar file and have been posting in that thread

I have already PM'ed him, asking him about it.

Amateur

footballmanagerwiki.net now redirects to the wiki as well

I've had it sitting doing nothing for ages

EDIT: Can it be sorted that the .co.uk is also set to a redirect or that the wiki moves to the .co.uk as it's a) annoying having it framed and b) confusing and/or annoying for some that want to copy and paste links
    Last edited by Q2thaz; 20-02-2009 at 23:04.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Q2thaz View Post
    footballmanagerwiki.net now redirects to the wiki as well

I've had it sitting doing nothing for ages
    That's brilliant mate, great to hear that the site is developing. Thanks for that

I've only got three of the team's to do, Torquay, Zenit and Wolfsburg. So I am going to PM the rest of the thread makers to ask.

Semi Pro

Hi, I'm Mista T and I've written some stuff about the Championnat national on the site. I would also be happy to help you out with some other competitions, like the Northern Irish competitions. Cheers
    Last edited by mista T; 20-02-2009 at 23:20.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast