Overuse of regens/newgens nicknames?

I'm in my 4th serious FM save atm, and in every single one I've found bunch of regens with the same "nicknames" - Fusca, Fuska and Xaropinho. They're all Brazilians and I don't have their league or their players loaded. Few of them are playing for some massive clubs like Bayern, Tottenham and Porto. In my previous save with East Stirlingshire, I had 2 badass Xaropinhos, I think one was in Liverpool and other one in Real Madrid. I believe these nicknames are nowhere near that often in RL. Search it (if you're in 2015+ year or so) you'll see what I mean.

Ok, can you name at least 3 Brazilian players with the same nickname on the back of the shirt who actually made it recently? Please, don't use two Ronaldo's as a reference. Those players were generated in past 7 years of playing.

There are to many of them, it's clearly unrealistic, there should me many more names/nicknames involved.

Btw, just found 21 Jaguare's. All gens.

Leo? Ronaldo and Adriano are names, not a nicknames, CR is not a Brazilian.

Also, there are to many Xaxa's.

There are no hard and fast rules, but naming conventions reflect the Brazilian adoration for goal-scorers and their relatively diminished affection for the players defending their own end. The most famous forwards in Brazilian soccer history, Edson Arantes do Nascimento and Manuel Francisco dos Santos, are better known as Pele and Garrincha. Defenders typically do not have nicknames—the given name of fullback Roberto Carlos is Roberto Carlos da Silva. Goalkeepers tend to be known by their surnames as well as their first names. In almost a century, there has been only one major keeper known by a nickname: Dida, Brazil's starting goalie in this World Cup.

Players with the same first name often change their moniker to differentiate themselves. In recent decades, there have been several Ronaldos at the national level. One became known as Ronaldao, meaning "big Ronaldo." Another became Ronaldinho, meaning "little Ronaldo." When another Ronaldinho came along in the late 1990s, he was called Ronaldinho Gaucho—that is, "little Ronaldo from Rio Grande do Sul." Eventually, the first Ronaldo left the Brazilian national squad, so Ronaldinho became Ronaldo. Ronaldinho Gaucho became Ronaldinho.

But I agree that on FM the Brazilian names are recycled far too often. I always play in Brazil and there are hundreds of regens a season all sharing the same names.

Have to agree that the recurrence of some nicknames is too much. I have a Buick and Jaguaré in my current side (Portuguese league), and have seen plenty Tetés, Lapas, Fus(k)as...

Thing is these nicknames are far from popular in Brazil as well, I for one have never seen a guy with the above names play in the Brazilian leagues. I think diminutives and augmentatives should be used more often, as well as connections to birth places (states).

But not these types of nicknames, if the ones mentioned in this thread exist in Brazil they are very rare, so it doesnt make sense to overload the database with them. I would rather see loads of Ronaldos and Adrianos in the database than Xaropinhos and Xarás.

Although it wasn't originally the point of the other thread (which was more about the oddness of nicknames... "Bife"?!), I do agree with this one.

I appreciate the nicknaming is an attempt to replicate what happens in the real world, but it's having quite the opposite effect because of the lack of variation- as the point has been made, a team wouldn't have two players nicknamed "Ronaldo" in their squad, but there's nothing stopping that from happening in FM. I realise, of course, you can quite easily add your own nicknames, which sidesteps the issue, rather than fixes it.

Even if there were some kind of variation in generated nickname, so a player nicknamed "Fusca" who was particularly short became "Fuscinha", or something, it'd be an improvement, or likewise, as Skaldfra suggested, location-based suffixes.

I once had a Brazilian regen born in Germany who was named after his birthplace. I think he was nicknamed Osnabrück if I remember correctly. So the game already takes things like that into account.

The easiest way would be if we could add first names and surnames to the database via the editor. So SI wouldn't even have to add new names themselves and I think a lot of people in the community would like it as it would make games with large databases so much more enjoyable.

In my game I have a gazillion Cazuza's.. tbh I think there are 20+ playing in top european teams.. sure, it CAN happen, but in reality it doesnt..

Just try it out.. search for common brazilian nicknames at the start of the game and do a count for each nickname.. then repeat the process 20+ years into the game (with the popular regen nicknames) and do a count.. I'll bet you'll see a factor of 3-4 times as many regen nicknames than you did with the "original" ones..

Just signed a second Brazilian newgen named Jaguare. Might be difficult keeping track of which one is which during the game...

As I said, this might be the one useful use of the Nickname feature. I'd go for renaming them "Bill" and "Ted".

As I said, this might be the one useful use of the Nickname feature. I'd go for renaming them "Bill" and "Ted".

When I have two Brazilians with the same name/nickname I usually look at their full name, birth place and height and then decide on a new nickname. Some coaches do that IRL. I remember when Scolari arrived at Palmeiras back in 97 or 98 he had a Júnior and a Júnior II in his squad. He renamed the second one to Roque Júnior, which turned out to be a centre back in the 2002 WC winning squad :)

Archived