Pharaohs? Great, I’ve always wanted to go to Egypt! Eh,... what other Pharaohs??

Scribe

I’ve been reading a few threads on here for some time and it has inspired me to start my own. Makoto Nakamura’s adventures in San Marino have been particularly enjoyable so I’ve decided to try my hand in the Faroe Islands with second tier team FC Hoyvik.

My long (long, long, longgggg) term goal is to dominate the world with a team made solely of players from my youth system. Thus, I won’t be buying any players throughout the save.

I hope you enjoy :)

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Long-term Goals

Domestic Achievements

• Gain promotion from 1. Deild to Vodafonedeildin Achieved 2012/13
  • Avoid relegation from Vodafonedeildin Achieved 2013/14
  • Finish top 3 in Vodafonedeildin Achieved 2015/16
  • Win Vodafonedeildin Achieved 2015/16
  • Win Løgmanssteypið (the cup) Achieved 2015/16

European Achievements

• Qualify for the Europa League Achieved 2015/16
  • Qualify for the Champions League Achieved 2015/16
  • Reach the Europa League group stage Achieved 2022/23
  • Reach the Champions League group stage Achieved 2025/26
  • Win a point in the Europa League group stage Achieved 2022/23
  • Win a point in the Champions League group stage
  • Win a match in the Europa League group stage Achieved 2022/23
  • Win a match in the Champions League group stage
  • Reach the Europa League knockout stage
  • Reach the Champions League knockout stage
  • Win the Europa League
  • Win the Champions League

European Achievements

• Take charge of the Faroe Island national teams
  • Beat a team ranked inside the top 100 nations (friendlies allowed)
  • Beat a team ranked inside the top 50 nations (friendlies allowed)
  • Beat a team ranked inside the top 10 nations (friendlies allowed)
  • Beat the team ranked number 1 in the world (friendlies allowed)
  • Finish top 3 in a qualifying campaign group
  • Qualify for a major tournament
  • Win a point in a major tournament group stage
  • Win a game in a major tournament
  • Qualify for the knockout stages of a major tournament

Player Achievements

• Have a player capped at U19 level for the national team Achieved 2014/15
  • Have a player capped at U21 level for the national team Achieved 2013/14
  • Have a player capped at senior level for the national team Achieved 2016/17
  • Have five players called up to the national team squad Achieved 2019/20

Club Achievements

• Get out of the red financially Achieved 2016/17
  • Get stadium expansion
  • Build a new stadium
  • Have training facilities improved Achieved 2016/17
  • Have youth facilities improved
  • Get an increased budget for youth coaching Achieved 2014/15
  • Get a feeder club
  • Improve youth recruitment network
  • Achieve part-time status Achieved 2012/13
  • Achieve full-time status
  • Reach 50 season ticket holders
  • Reach 100 season ticket holders
  • Reach 1000 season ticket holders
  • Reach 10000 season ticket holders
  • Reach 50000 season ticket holders
  • Estimated value greater than £1m Achieved 2022/23
  • Estimated value greater than £10m
  • Estimated value greater than £100m
  • Estimated value greater than £500m
  • Estimated value greater than £1bn
  • Matchday squad made up entirely of YP players Achieved 2014/15
  • Entire squad made up of YP players Achieved 2018/19
  • Club reputation 1 star Achieved 2021/22
  • Club reputation 1.5 stars
  • Club reputation 2 stars
  • Club reputation 2.5 stars
  • Club reputation 3 stars
  • Club reputation 3.5 stars
  • Club reputation 4 stars
  • Club reputation 4.5 stars
  • Club reputation 5 stars
  • Top 250 European club ranking Achieved 2024/25
  • Top 100 European club ranking
  • Top 50 European club ranking
  • Top 10 European club ranking
  • Top 3 European club ranking
  • Top European club

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Team and League Summary

So, firstly a bit about the club. Wikipedia knows more than me:

FC Hoyvík is a Faroese football club, they currently play in the 1. deild. They were previously named IF Fram Tórshavn (Tórshavn Forward). The club is located in the Hoyvík district, a suburb of the capital Tórshavn, Faroe Islands.

The club was founded on January 12, 1975 as IF Fram Tórshavn, and became the third football club in Tórshavn. HB Tórshavn (1904) and B36 Tórshavn (1936) are the first two. The fourth club in Torshavn came in 1997, Argja Bóltfelag from Argir. As the suburb Argir was incorporated in 1997 in the Municipality of Tórshavn. They were originally founded 1973.

In 1977 Fram Tórshavn played their first season in 1.Deild (now named Vodafonedeildin), but only finished seventh in the league and were relegated that season. Fram have never managed to archive promotion back into the top flight league since. They are the only Faroese football club in history to have played in first league, down to the fourth league. In late 2008, the club changed its name to FC Hoyvík. In 2009, FC Hoyvík played their first season under the new name in the 1.Deild of the FSF (second division), after Fram Torshavn won the 2.Deild in the previous season and were promoted.

To get me going I’ve set up a 41 year old manager native to the islands:

VQW0s.jpg

Poor Balder has no wage due to the club’s part-time status. In terms of staff, he has a player/assistant manager but no coaches or scouts. The latter is good news since I won’t need them any way.

The facilities are nothing to write home about, although our nice artificial surface should mean minimal postponements.

LGxCd.jpg

I certainly don’t expect much investment in these facilities given that the club is £450k in debt. This could be even tougher than I’d imagined.

Perhaps unsurprisingly the squad lacks quality, with just three guys that can actually pass as real life footballers and they make the rest look as bad as they really are:

ZNVkO.jpg

With two of those best three being wanted by other clubs (and my team’s amateur status), I can’t see them hanging around for too long. The best of the bunch is Johan Gunnarsson. I guess that says it all about the quality of the squad. In the interests of displaying an “average” squad member, they don’t get anymore average than the 2-star recommended Karl Lisberg. He truly embodies the rubbishness of the squad. The players at my disposal lack any real width, so my formation will probably be a narrow one to begin with.

In terms of the competition, we actually only have three other real teams in our league of ten (known as 1. Deild). The remaining six are B teams from sides in the league above (the Vodafonedeildin). With the top 2 gaining promotion, it’s not entirely unfeasible that we could challenge for, er, 4th place! The bottom two sides are relegated, so as long as we avoid that and I don’t get sacked then I’ll be happy enough.

The board want a respectable league position and for us to reach the second round of the unpronounceable cup competition. I truly have no idea whether we will achieve that or not.

lmgbz.gif

Faroe Watch 2011/12

National team World Ranking: 114th

UEFA coefficient: 1.416

UEFA qualification places: 1 Champions League, 2 Europa League

League Rankings: Vodafonedeildin 241st (1 star) 1. Deild 773rd (0.5 star)

Biggest club: HB (1 star)

Hoyvik reputation: 0.5 star

The only way is up!

It’s my intention to keep updates to either one per season, or pre-season, mid-season, youth intake day and post-season. Since this is my first effort at a thread, we’ll have to see how it goes.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Pre-Season 2011/12

Transfers

I’ll start with transfers because they set the trend for the rest of this update. As you can see, none came in (as expected), but a couple of our best players (the two Gunnarssons) left on free transfers to bigger clubs. I can tell that this is going to be a frustrating trend throughout until we can achieve at least part-time status. Meanwhile, the other guys that left were never going to get a game so were released to give me a leaner squad.

Results

Pretty encouraging actually. The two defeats were against opposition from the top flight, so we can be pleased with our preparation for the season.

Board Expectations

1. Deild: Achieve a respectable league position.

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Reach the second round.

My Expectations

Based on our pre-season, I hope we will push for a top half finish, but it does worry me that other clubs can come in a take our best players for free. If the trend continues then we could struggle. As for the cup, we play a team from the league below us in the first round, so I hope we can achieve at least what the board expects.

Finances

Terrible, but with no wages for players or staff, hopefully we can make a small profit over the course of the season. I’ve no idea though really; we only sold 25 season tickets so we are not going to be raking it in.

Squad

We have no left backs, only one right back and no wingers. I’m going for a 4-2-3-1 formation with guys out of position, but in training to fit the roles. I can’t bring anyone else in so it’ll have to do. I don’t like squeezing square pegs into round holes, but I think it’s pretty unavoidable at this stage.

Key Players

I honestly can’t pick anyone out that is likely to shine. That’s not to say that they won’t, but pickings are slim. On the flip side, it means everyone in the squad has a chance to show what they can do. I’ll be rotating heavily to begin with until I get to know the players.

Ones-to-Watch

See above!

Thanks, the following update may suggest you’re right about quite how much luck I’ll need!

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Mid-Season 2011/12

Results - League Table League Graph

Well, pre-season truly was a false dawn. What followed was six games without a win of which three were defeats. Included in that run was an embarrassing capitulation to lower league Skala in the first round of the cup which put paid to our expectations in that particular competition.

Thankfully we’ve improved slightly in the last few games, but this first half of a season has really hit home how difficult this job is going to be.

On the transfer front, another player left us on a free in the shape of striker Tomas Hans Rubeksen. Thankfully he’d been rubbish (a big fat zero goals in seven games!) so it’s no great loss, but on paper he was our best frontman. One interesting thing to note that the departure of three key players since I took over has promoted the previously average Karl Lisberg from a 2-star rated player to an indispensible 5-stars! Things really are grim when a guy like that is your best player.

Financially, the board have twice put £65k into the coffers to keep the club going so we’re now just under £350k in debt. Without that investment we’d be running at a small loss. Not a great sign for the future and our hopes of turning professional.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Youth Candidate Day 2011/12

Well, this is a first; youth intake day, 16 news players and… they all have 5-star potential!

8S2i0.jpg

Somewhat unsurprisingly, even the best of them seems rather poor. I really doubt that any will reach a decent level and the 5-star potential says more about my current squad’s lack of ability than the genius of my new youth players! That said, even if they do they show glimmers of greatness, they will surely will be snatched away by another team due to my amateur status. My main disappointment however, is the lack of fullbacks that I desperately need.

The top three (as rated in current ability by my assistant) are:

Rogvi Tausen (YP1)

Frits Eliasen (YP2)

Jon Danielsen (YP3)

Please let me know if you wish to see any of the other 16.

Since I don’t have a reserve or youth team, they automatically seem to have been put on amateur deals and go straight into my first team squad. Hopefully that detail won’t have a negative impact on future youth intakes when I eventually turn part-time.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Post-Season 2011/12

After what can only be described as a disastrous start, the rest of the season has been fairly tame. We hovered around midtable the whole time and just managed to sneak into the top half with a last minute winner in the final game of the season. In terms of first season, it’s a solid, if unspectacular start to my career in the Faroes.

Board Expectations

1. Deild: Achieve a respectable league position. Achieved

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Reach the second round. Failed

My Expectations

1. Deild: Achieve a respectable league position. Achieved

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Reach the second round. Failed

Key Players

Top Scorer: Karl Lisberg – Mr Average knocked in five goals in eight starts. It actually sounds quite decent when you look at it like that!

Most Assists: Janus Mortensen – Five assists in twelve games is solid if unspectacular. He wasn’t very impressive otherwise.

Manager’s Player of the Year: Bogi Hermansen – Wins the player of the year by default. No one was any better so he gets it despite averaging under 7.00 match rating.

Fan’s Player of the Year: Bogi Hermansen

Next Season

I feel as though I’ve settled in to the league a bit now, so I can begin to set some real goals for next season. I think my focus has to be on our young players and developing them as much as possible. We are in a difficult position really; we need the young guys to do well if we are to succeed, but if they do then other teams will snap them up. Then again, we need much more income if we are to become professional so promotion is a must at some point. I think we are still some distance away from that though.

lmgbz.gif

Faroe Watch 2012/13

National team World Ranking: 158th Down 44 places

UEFA coefficient: 0.916, 53rd place Down 1 place

UEFA qualification places: 1 Champions League, 3 Europa League One additional Europa League spot

League Rankings: Vodafonedeildin 242nd Down 1 place (1 star – no change)

Biggest club: HB (1 star) - No change

Hoyvik reputation: 0.5 star - No change

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Pre-Season 2012/13

Transfers

We only lost one player to another team this pre-season, mainly because I managed to fend off some interest by offering new amateur contracts to players that were courted by other teams. That only worked for players approached by teams of a similar size to us, but thankfully not many bigger clubs are interested in any of our players. Meanwhile, I released a few guys that would never have been near the starting line-up.

Results

Not too bad I guess. I left the organising of friendly matches to my assistant and he kindly pitted us against some of the best teams in the country. We were generally outplayed, but I wouldn’t expect anything else against sides from a league above us. Moreover, last season taught me not to read anything into our pre-season friendly results.

Board Expectations

1. Deild: Stay clear of relegation

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Learn from the experience

The board have dropped their expectations a level for whatever reason, possibly because we have lost a few of our more highly rated players over the course of last season.

My Expectations

1. Deild: Top half finish

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Avoid embarrassment

Basically I want to match last season’s performance levels. If we can get off to a good start then I think we can achieve even more. The bookies rate us at 80-1 outsiders so hopefully we can prove a few people wrong.

As for the cup, we’ve been drawn away to 07 Vesturlle, who have just been relegated into our league. That will give me an idea of the gap in quality between the top two leagues.

Finances

The board keep pumping money in, but otherwise we lose in the region of £8k per month.

Squad

The squad is a bit on the big size. I’m reluctant to release anymore players in case any first team players are poached from us. We desperately need a leftback, but otherwise I’m reasonably satisfied with the depth of cover we have.

Key Players

It’s not easy to pick players out as they all have areas of weakness and very few areas of strength. The one player I wouldn’t like to lose is our goalkeeper Trygvi Askham. That is mainly because the backup players are so poor and I don’t want to have to resort to playing them if he disappears. Other than him, there is honestly not one player that is guaranteed a starting role in the team.

Ones-to-Watch

Thankfully we now have a few guys in this section. The midfield area is particularly interesting with guys like Rogvi Tausen (YP1) and Olavur Johannesen (YP6). Upfront, I’m hoping that Frits Eliasen (YP2) can force his way into the team.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Youth Candidate Day 2012/13

Last season we got 16 5-star potential players, and this year we got exactly the same (including that elusive leftback!):

mb2Yl.jpg

If anything, the quality seems a little better than last season. Indeed, some of last year’s intake are now rated as having potential less than 5-stars, so that could mean this batch is better (or that my terrible facilities and coaches are destroying any potential they did have!).

The main ones to watch from this year would be:

Johannes Olsen (YP17): Let’s be honest here, he doesn’t look great, but the main thing is that he is a natural DL, so no more playing out of position centrebacks there.

Bergur Gregersen (YP22): Should provide the pace and flair that we are currently missing.

Sonni Eliasen (YP29): Already our best finisher with a massive 8 rating for that particular skill.

The addition of these 16 new youngsters has swollen my squad once again, so I’m afraid it signals the end of the road for a number of my older players. I’ve released 7 players, but they had only started 9 matches between them this season so the impact on the team should be minimal. We now only have 7 players remaining from the original squad; quite a turnaround in the space of less than two years.

While I’m making this post, I’ll give you a little update on our situation in the league. There are four games remaining and the league looks like this. There is no mistaking that we are in an excellent position, but we have lost our last three matches so we are holding on to a promotion place by our fingertips. I’m faced with a conundrum of whether I should blood some of these new youngsters immediately or keep the faith with last year’s faltering stock. Any thoughts?

You should be able to hold on, and blooding the youngsters would be inject some new life into the side.

I'm hoping so.

I think I'm in agreement. It helps that they all come into the side with 100% match fitness - that's something I really struggle to get my other players to achieve.

I've come up with the following achievements to help track my progress. These will be added to the first post and updated along the way. I might add to these along the way, so suggestions for extra ones are welcome.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Long-term Goals

Domestic Achievements

• Gain promotion from 1. Deild to Vodafonedeildin
  • Avoid relegation from Vodafonedeildin
  • Finish top 3 in Vodafonedeildin
  • Win Vodafonedeildin
  • Win Løgmanssteypið (the cup)

European Achievements

• Qualify for the Europa League
  • Qualify for the Champions League
  • Reach the Europa League group stage
  • Reach the Champions League group stage
  • Win a point in the Europa League group stage
  • Win a point in the Champions League group stage
  • Win a match in the Europa League group stage
  • Win a match in the Champions League group stage
  • Reach the Europa League knockout stage
  • Reach the Champions League knockout stage
  • Win the Europa League
  • Win the Champions League

European Achievements

• Take charge of the Faroe Island national teams
  • Beat a team ranked inside the top 100 nations (friendlies allowed)
  • Beat a team ranked inside the top 50 nations (friendlies allowed)
  • Beat a team ranked inside the top 10 nations (friendlies allowed)
  • Beat the team ranked number 1 in the world (friendlies allowed)
  • Finish top 3 in a qualifying campaign group
  • Qualify for a major tournament
  • Win a point in a major tournament group stage
  • Win a game in a major tournament
  • Qualify for the knockout stages of a major tournament

Player Achievements

• Have a player capped at U19 level for the national team
  • Have a player capped at U21 level for the national team
  • Have a player capped at senior level for the national team
  • Have five players called up to the national team squad

Club Achievements

• Get out of the red financially
  • Get stadium expansion
  • Build a new stadium
  • Have training facilities improved
  • Have youth facilities improved
  • Get an increased budget on youth coaching
  • Get a feeder club
  • Improve youth recruitment network
  • Achieve part-time status
  • Achieve full-time status
  • Reach 50 season ticket holders
  • Reach 100 season ticket holders
  • Reach 1000 season ticket holders
  • Reach 10000 season ticket holders
  • Reach 50000 season ticket holders
  • Estimated value greater than £1m
  • Estimated value greater than £10m
  • Estimated value greater than £100m
  • Estimated value greater than £500m
  • Estimated value greater than £1bn
  • Entire squad made up of YP players
  • Club reputation 1 star
  • Club reputation 1.5 stars
  • Club reputation 2 stars
  • Club reputation 2.5 stars
  • Club reputation 3 stars
  • Club reputation 3.5 stars
  • Club reputation 4 stars
  • Club reputation 4.5 stars
  • Club reputation 5 stars

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Post-Season 2012/13

League Results - League Table League Graph Cup Results

An amazing season. No one expected us to do much this season; me included, but the youngsters did us proud. We could even have won the league but for a blip in the last game. We had a few hairy moments when it looked like we might collapse; we never lost one game on its own, it was always two losses in a row. Thankfully we managed to hold our nerve and our second place finish sees us promoted to the top flight.

The way we went out of the cup was a bit disappointing though; to lose to a team in your own league in the semi-finals after beating the eventual Vodafonedeildin champions in the quarters was a bit of a bitter pill.

Still, overall I couldn’t have asked for anything more.

Board Expectations

1. Deild: Stay clear of relegation Surpassed

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Learn from the experience Surpassed

My Expectations

1. Deild: Top half finish Surpassed

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Avoid embarrassment Surpassed

Key Players

I’d picked out Trygvi Askham as a possible key man this season but, whilst he played his part in a very successful season, he was surpassed by many of his colleagues.

Top Scorer: Olavur Johannesen (YP6) – Olavur was one of the young players I’d picked out at the start of the season as being able to make a positive impact and boy has he done so. Ten goals and seven assists in 21 matches was great going by the attacking midfielder.

Most Assists: Jon Brekku – One of the old guard proved his worth with nine assists, but unfortunately has decided to hang up his boots at the end of the season.

Manager’s Player of the Year: Allan Joensen (YP10) – I was going to give this award to Olavur Johannesen, but Joensen has been an unsung hero this year. This 6’7” monster has tightened up our defence no end and was always a danger in the opposition area, as shown by his haul of seven goals.

Fan’s Player of the Year: Olavur Johannesen (YP6) – And well deserved too.

Next Season

This season has really buoyed my spirits. We proved ourselves capable of winning games and that is a good habit to get into. Our results against last year’s relegated teams makes me hopeful that we can do well in the Vodafonedeildin. As I continued into the new season I received this piece of news that is sure to help. Now that we can keep a hold of our players I can properly plan for the future and even receive some compensation if anyone wants to sign-up our talent.

Achievements Completed

• Gain promotion from 1. Deild to Vodafonedeildin Achieved 2012/13
  • Achieve part-time status Achieved 2012/13

They certainly are :D

lmgbz.gif

Faroe Watch 2013/14

[*] National team World Ranking: 148th Up 10 places

[*] UEFA coefficient: 1.125, 52nd place Up 1 place

[*] UEFA qualification places: 1 Champions League, 3 Europa League, no change

[*] League Rankings: Vodafonedeildin 312th Down 50 places (0.5 stars – Down 0.5 stars)

[*] Biggest club: HB (1 star) - No change

[*] Hoyvik reputation: 0.5 star - No change

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Pre-Season 2013/14

Transfers

For the first time we haven’t lost any players to other sides, but as always we released a few no-hopers. Unfortunately that included a few YP players that simply haven’t progressed.

Results

Pretty much our usual mixture of results. It doesn’t tell me much about how we might perform this season.

Board Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Stay clear of relegation

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Reach the second round

As expected, the board just want us to stay up. Their cup expectation is not exactly ambitious because we get a bye into the second round anyway this season (I imagine that is because of last season’s semi-final appearance).

My Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Avoid relegation

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Don’t care

I just want us to stay up as well. I hope we do so with a bit to spare, but 8th place will do for me this season. I’m looking for consolidation, not quick but short lived success.

As for the cup, there is a European slot available for winning it, but at this stage my focus has to be on the league.

Finances

The cost of semi-professional status is already apparent as we spend money on wages for the first time. I hope that we can garner some additional income through attendance money. That however, remains to be seen even with our soaring season ticket sales!

Squad

The squad is starting to take shape now. My main relief is no longer having to look over my shoulder for other clubs pinching our players. We do lack quality, but the potential is there to be seen.

Key Players

A lot could rest on our defence this season, but in my mind it’s our midfield where we could make the difference. The trio of Hermansen, Tausen (YP1) and Johannesen (YP6) could be key.

Ones-to-Watch

To be honest it’s difficult to pick out individuals from our ranks of youngsters. They all have the potential to succeed, but they need to start improving a bit more quickly now we’re in with the big boys.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Mid-Season 2013/14

I guess it has been a half season of two halves! We started terribly and looked out of our depth, but a good win in the cup suddenly changed our fortunes.

It’s amazing how a couple of wins can change your outlook. If this update had come a few games ago it would have been all doom and gloom, but now I’m feeling a lot more optimistic. Make no mistake, we still have a tough challenge ahead in order to remain in the league, but at least now I know that we can compete at this level.

Unfortunately we’re going to have to cope without our topscorer for the rest of the season. We’ve been hit with a terrible injury to Frits Eliasen (YP2) who had just started to settle in this league. It’ll be a long way back for the lad and, at this level, I’m not even sure he’ll ever be able to make his way back to our team. These sorts of injuries can truly ruin a player’s career.

In terms of hopes for the rest of the season; to continue our good form would be great but realistically an equal number of points won should suffice for survival. Scoring goals could be a worry now with Eliasen’s absence, but we’ve coped with the loss of a striker before so hopefully we can do it again.

Thanks all :)

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Youth Candidate Day 2013/14

lhEnq.jpg

Ok, so it seems three straight seasons of 5-star potential players was a little too much to ask. In fact, whilst this intake initially looked good, I’m sorry to say that none of them stand-out as immediate first-team material.

The one who looks closest to me to being ready is probably Janus Petersen (YP40), but my assistant rates Dan Olsen (YP38) more highly. Other than that Alan Jorgensen (YP34) may get a game or two.

This intake boosted my squad to a mammoth 48 players, which is especially ridiculous for a team with no reserve squad than only plays 18 league games per season. With this in mind I freed a further five players that were still on amateur deals (so no compensation was necessary). We’re now down to just two players from my original squad; our goalkeeper Trygvi Askham and midfielder Bogi Hermansen. Other than that I will have some big decisions to make at the end of the season when virtually the entire squad are out of contract.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Post-Season 2013/14

League Results - League Table League Graph Cup Results

I’m pretty satisfied with our performances this season. After a shaky start we recovered well to finish 11 points clear of relegation. I would have bitten your hand off if you’d offered me that at the start of the season. Not only that, but I feel we’ve improved as the season has progressed and that can only be good news for next year.

We reached the semi-final of the cup for a second successive season only to lose 3-0 after extra time to an AB team that are fast becoming our biggest rivals. They beat us to the 1. Deild title last year and out-performed us this season by finishing second in the Vodafonedeildin. I think they are the team we have to aspire to if we want to progress.

Speaking of progress, we have had our first player called up for international duty as Tummas Hojgaard (YP48) (from this season’s intake) made his debut for the under 21’s in their 2-0 defeat to Finland. It’s another good sign for the future of the club.

Board Expectations

1. Deild: Stay clear of relegation Achieved

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Reach the second round Surpassed

My Expectations

1. Deild: Avoid relegation Achieved

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Don’t care Achieved

Key Players

Top Scorer: Jakup Nielsen (YP18) – Jakup picked up the mantel from in the injured Eliasen with five goals. Bogi Hermansen also hit five goals, but played more games, so the award goes to Nielsen.

Most Assists: Gunnar Nolsoe (YP27) – the 18 year old hit helped set-up 10 goals, which was something of a surprise as I had expected little from him this season.

Manager’s Player of the Year: Bogi Hermansen – the veteran of the team is my favourite player in the team. He’s the most consistent and mentally strong player we have.

Fan’s Player of the Year: Gunnar Nolsoe (YP27) – the youngster’s assists helped him become a real hit with the fans.

I’d picked out Rogvi Tausen (YP1) and last season’s star man Olavur Johannesen (YP6) as possible key men this season, but both were outperformed by the guys mentioned above. Johannesen was beset by injury problems so his performances were hampered by that, whereas Tausen just never really performed as well as I’d hoped he would.

Next Season

I’m keen that we avoid second season syndrome, so next year I’ll be looking to avoid relegation (hopefully finishing mid-table again). We’ve shown that we can beat the teams around us, but struggle against the better sides. If we can beat the teams around us then we’ll be safe, but I’m not sure we’re quite ready to push on any further than that at this stage.

Achievements Completed

• Avoid relegation from Vodafonedeildin Achieved 2013/14
  • Have a player capped at U21 level for the national team Achieved 2013/14

lmgbz.gif

Faroe Watch 2014/15

[*] National team World Ranking: 167th Down 19 places

[*] UEFA coefficient: 1.875, 51st place Up 1 place

[*] UEFA qualification places: 1 Champions League, 3 Europa League, no change

[*] League Rankings: Vodafonedeildin 392nd Down 80 places (0.5 stars – Down 0.5 stars)

[*] Biggest club: HB (1 star) - No change

[*] Hoyvik reputation: 0.5 star - No change

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Pre-Season 2014/15

Transfers

Another four players left us as their contracts expired. I’d made a positive decision not to renew them because they would never have been good enough to get in the team.

Results

By far our most impressive pre-season since I took over. I really hope we can translate these wins into league victories when the competitive games begin.

Board Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Stay clear of relegation

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Reach the second round

Basically the same expectations as last season.

My Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Avoid relegation

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Don’t care

Again, my goals are the same as last season, but obviously these are the minimum I’ll accept. I’m feeling quite confident that we can achieve a mid-table finish at least. I’d also like to do well in the cup, but it is in no way a priority at this time.

Finances

We continue to lose money every month, only to have it topped up by the board. There was no prize money whatsoever for our league campaign last season and with no rise in season ticket sales (remaining at 28 sold) there is no prospect of a profit this season either.

Squad

The squad is still huge. I really wish we had a reserve team, but in the absence of that I have asked the board for a feeder team. They’ve agreed, so now I just have to hope that they will find one.

Key Players and Ones-to-Watch

I’ve decided to make this one section instead of two, with a little breakdown by position. It should give you a chance to have a better overview of the players in my squad. I won’t do this every season, but I’m conscious that I’ve focussed on a very small group of players so far.

GK

Trygvi Askham has been our first choice since I joined the club. He is clearly our best GK on paper, but I am beginning to lose patience with him a little because of his inconsistent performances. It may be time to give Kristian Kristiansen (YP21) a chance, but I’m not sure he is ready.

Defence

Simun Olsen (YP26) has made the right back position his own and is now one of the first names on my teamsheet. On the left Johannes Olsen (YP17) is the man in possession of the shirt, mainly due to the lack of competition in that position.

In the middle Allan Joensen (YP10) will partner Hanus Nielsen (YP31) with competition from the likes of Teitur Hentze (YP25).

Midfield

We currently play two defence minded centre midfielders and three attacking midfielders. Rogvi Tausen (YP1) and Gunnar Nolsoe (YP27) anchor the midfield with support from Janus Petersen (YP40).

In the attacking roles Bogi Hermansen (unfortunately injured for the start of the season), links with Alfred Eliasen (YP19) and Olavur Johannesen (YP6). We have a few other options in the shape of Sjurdur Poulsen (YP23) and Bergur Gregersen (YP22) amongst others.

Attack

We have three main options for the loan forward’s role that we utilise, each with their own merits. Prior to injury, Frits Eliasen (YP2) showed he was capable of scoring at this level, but has regressed due to his time out. Jakup Nielsen (YP18) stepped up to the mark in Eliasen’s absence, but never quite achieved as much as I’d hoped. Last but not least, Sonni Eliasen (YP29) has come on leaps and bounds for over the last twelve months and is now a definite candidate to lead the line.

Thanks very much guys.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Mid-Season 2014/15

I’m really pleased with what we have achieved so far. We started our league campaign tremendously and were top of the league after three games. We’ve fallen away slightly since then and have been knocked out of the cup, but we are still sitting comfortably near the top of the table. We’ve certainly put ourselves in a position where we can look upwards rather than down the way and that is great news for the team.

I think a title challenge is a little bit optimistic, but I’ll be disappointed if we don’t have a good go at finishing in a European spot. For that we’d need to finish in the top 3 (possibly top 4 if the cup winners also qualify through Europe).

If we are going to accomplish that then we will need to tighten up a bit at the back. Something I’ve tried in order to help our defensive record is a change in goalkeeper, and on 25th October 2014 Kristian Kristiansen’s (YP14) appearance in the team meant that for the first time ever our full match day squad was made up of YP players as we were victorious over our rivals AB.

Achievements Completed

• Matchday squad made up entirely of YP players Achieved 2014/15

Archived