Roberto Mancini resigns as Man City manager on the eve of the title deciding match

To set the scene; Manchester City v my Derby County side, last day of the season Derby currently first by 3 points but with a worse goal difference. Manchester City need a win at home, but a draw will do for Derby. Roberto Mancini has built up his City side for years, but today was the day in 2015 that they could finally get their hands on the English title for the first time since 1968.

The media clearly recognised the occasion and both managers mentioned the scale of the occasion. Roberto even stated his desire to get one over me on this day of days. The stage was set for the showdown of recent times on the final day.

So, one can imagine my surprise when on the morning of the clash I was informed that Roberto had resigned and that I was the hot favourite to replace him. He'd apparently gone to Inter, the day of his biggest match in management. Not only that, but he took his most of his staff with him leaving only a coach, a goalkeeping coach and a pair of youth coaches. As it turns out it seems Damion Stewart, a coach who'd only been with them since he retired at the end of last season had the task of winning the league...

...anyhow, the match ended 1-1 and I got the title, but something was lost in this strange moment.

Their new manager to take them forward? Ian Holloway!

Even allowing for the fact that Mancini is Italian who's been offered one of the biggest jobs in Italian football, you would thimk he should have at least been able to ask Inter if he could delay his arrival until the end of the season and given his reputation would be pretty high having managed a very high profile Prem team Man City, they really should be allowing him to do that.

Do you happen to know how Inter were doing when they replaced their former manager, was it due to him leaving/retiring or was he sacked due to underachievement? The only way I can think of Inter insisting on him joining immediately would be if they were in danger of relegation and they felt he was needed to keep them up.

Same old FM.

1) Inter would not have been able to sign him before season end.

2) Mancini would have been sacked already for not winning the title in 5 seasons.

3) Holloway....what more needs to be said.

It's stuff like this that bought me out of the game in FM11- probably why i'm not sure about buying it this year. Seems so pointless sometimes.

Similar thing happens to me in international management. Countries will sack their manager as soon as they are eliminated from the qualifiers or even a major tournament, then they will approach me even though I am managing someone still in that tournament with a game to play quite soon. Yesterday it was Italy, who i'd beaten in the group stage, trying to get me before my semi-final match! Very weird.

There should be some kind of timing set up for managerial casualties/new appointments when it's past a certain date. 1-5 games to go, they will wait until the summer and appoint a caretaker.. during a tournament they will wait until after it ends. I wonder if that's possible.

i had BALLACK on my national team and he retired from national duty the day before the Euro 2012 final. the game then took him off my 25-man squad

he was leading goalscorer and leading assists with 5 goals and 3 assists. he was also my registered captain

i had to register a new captain so i chose Lahm. then everyone on my team got "Unh" because Ballack should've been given more time as captain

then on the day of the final i asked him to reconsider and he said yes, but the game didnt reinstate him into the squad until after the final. i went into the match with everyone on very low morale.

i lost the final to my rivals England. i felt ****ing robbed

Archived