Fm2012 for ipad 2?

• SI Staff

I'm afraid at present there isn't a fixed date for the release of the game made available publicly; when this is made available it'll be posted here.

(I can say it'll be out before Christmas though)

I’m thinking of purchasing an IPAD 2 primarily for FMH, although it will be used for music and internet browsing as well...

Due to current circumstances i.e. new born baby and job commitments i don’t have time for the big brother, therefore FMH is an ideal solution...

However I played last year’s FMH version and although it was good and showed promise, the one thing i missed was player history, league history, manger history etc.. I’m hoping the new version has improved in this area, Mark can you give me any snippets of information in this area?

• SI Staff
However I played last year’s FMH version and although it was good and showed promise, the one thing i missed was player history, league history, manger history etc.. I’m hoping the new version has improved in this area, Mark can you give me any snippets of information in this area?

I'll be honest I haven't particularly enhanced this area of the game for 2012 (player histories are all present and correct but there aren't injury histories etc.) .... if you can explain what you were hoping to see then I'll consider looking into it for an update/future version however (in general if you prod me I'm happy to consider anyones suggestions - although sometimes I will say 'no' if I don't think they'll suit the game).

I am hoping that the match engine works better this year. The last 2 years the match engine has been dreadful. Also last year I was convinced your formation was more important than player attributes. I had a team of regens all better than anyone in the world and struggled to win the premier league.

I am hoping that the match engine works better this year. The last 2 years the match engine has been dreadful. Also last year I was convinced your formation was more important than player attributes. I had a team of regens all better than anyone in the world and struggled to win the premier league.

That is probably your tactics or how you manage your team, I used same tactics year in year out with same type of players and never had any issues whichever league or team I played with.

Other than the crazy amount of throwings the match engine last year was good

One of the things I would like, speaking of manager/team history, is simply a list of team managed, year, w-d-l, gf-ga, final position, so I could scan down and see whether my team was getting better or worse.

If you REALLY want that, then why not just open microsoft word and jot down the Wins, losses and draws etc. into a table after each season. ;)

What I'd rather see is team histories - previous divisions, positions, cup wins, record results. That's a little thing that would make is seem less like each season is a separate entity and there is some level of continuity.

Yeah the engine is by far and wide the most important thing to me, the size and realism of the database is secondary. When I say to friends and people online that I want the PC's 2D engine they think I want to see full matches which I don't. I never ever watch the full match even on PC. I basically want the 2D engine from CM 03/04 showing key highlights, not a vague and heavily predictable representation of it.

If my iPad 2 gets that and its polished then I'll pay whatever Sega wants.

• SI Staff
Why is the full version not available for iPad? Surely the ipad2 is more than capable of handling it?

You mean the PC game? The iPad2 wouldn't even come close to being able to run it. There just isn't enough processing power.

• SI Staff
Is there any news on when FM2012 is out on ipad2 yet? Will it be out before the end of the month?

There's no more information that we can release publicly yet. As soon as there is, I'm sure there'll be prominent announcements on here.

If you REALLY want that, then why not just open microsoft word and jot down the Wins, losses and draws etc. into a table after each season. ;)

Because I have some sort of life :) If things get to the stage where you're tabulating results in Word you really need to get out more. I just want to be able to scan the list of achievements, season on season.

• 2 weeks later...

For me the main problem in FMH is the UI. It's not only hideous and nothing comparable to the beauty of the PC version, but it's also not very easy to deal with contrary to the thousands of iOS applications.

Football Manager series was always somehting I loved to look at in the PC (except for one season, can't remember exactly which), but the handheld series seems really far from that approach. It's like something done by two completely different companies.. If this wasn't reviewed for 2012, please remember this for 2013 edition.

Thank you.

For me the main problem in FMH is the UI. It's not only hideous and nothing comparable to the beauty of the PC version, but it's also not very easy to deal with contrary to the thousands of iOS applications.

Football Manager series was always somehting I loved to look at in the PC (except for one season, can't remember exactly which), but the handheld series seems really far from that approach. It's like something done by two completely different companies.. If this wasn't reviewed for 2012, please remember this for 2013 edition.

Thank you.

Generally when you make comments like that you back them up with your findings, otherwise how are the developers going to know exactly what you find hideous, as the saying goes 1 mans trash becomes another mans masterpiece.

FM for iPad is the only version I play these days as it feels closest to the old school Championship Manager I used to enjoy many years ago, but I agree that the UI could do with a load of work. Things that I particularly notice are:

• It doesn't feel like an iOS app in terms of fluidity or controls.
  • Everything seems BIG. Text is bigger than it needs to be and feels pixelated compared to native iPad apps (compare the squad list in FM to the song list in the built in music app for example). Buttons are also bigger than they need to be.
  • Pages such as the player page have an extra click to open a menu to move between pages (profile, positions, contract, personal etc) when these could easily be iOS style tabs on iPad so I remember they are there. Again see the music app. I know you can swipe between pages in the player profile but thats a lot of swiping!
  • Lists don't use the native iOS scrolling (rubber banding, momentum scrolling) so feel unresponsive compared to the standard iPad interface.
  • Little things, such as the text on the (BIG!) toggle switches not being quite aligned, make the interface feel unfinished.
  • Swiping doesn't track your finger. This is probably considered a minor thing but to me it's these little things that make touch apps feel alive. One of the great things about iOS is that it feels like you are directly manipulating the interface rather than giving it commands. If the interface doesn't track your finger it falls back to being a 'command' to the machine rather than directly manipulating it which removes that feeling of control.

To me it still feels like a blown up version of the PSP game rather than an interface designed specifically to take advantage of the iPad screen space and standard iOS interface elements. I'm sure that a lot of this is due to the team being small and there being other priorities. I think I also read a lot of the code is shared between the iOS and PSP versions so as a non-programmer I don't' know how this works and if the exact same UI elements have to be shared between them as well. The lists in particular stand out as feeling wrong though when scrolling through them on an iOS device but I found them fine when I had the PSP version when it first came out a few years ago.

I'll still buy the iOS version for my iPad as soon as it comes out and I'm sure I'll enjoy it again, but making it feel a bit smoother and iOS native at some point would be great :)

Probably the main feature I'd like to see on the iPhone/iPad version is dropbox (or similar) integration. I own both an iPhone and an iPad and would like to be able to transfer the save file easily between the two. I usually play on the iPhone whilst commuting to work, but I'd love to use the larger iPad once home.

• SI Staff
Is there going to be any improvements on the last version or is it just going to be a player update??

There are a lot of new things in FMH 2012 on iOS ... but annoyingly at present I'm not allowed to talk about any of them ..... but I think you'll enjoy the game ...

Archived