Football Manager 2008 trailer

• SI Staff

Right. Today's blog had to be postponed for various technical reasons, and was (and still will be) up at some time tomorrow instead.

The blog was to show a promo video for FM08 which I'm somewhat proud of - Frontroom (Sega's creative partner) have done a great job on it.

So, whilst it was postponed, someone forgot to tell the person who was uploading the video to You Tube. And seeing as a few people seem to have found it now, I thought it only fair to officially "leak" it here.

It's only the English language version for now - there will be French, Spanish and Italian ones too.

I hope you like it as much as I do. Feel free to give the link to whoever you want to as the only people who might mind are the people who should have told the youtube uploader to not upload it icon_wink.gif

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Right. Today's blog had to be postponed for various technical reasons, and was (and still will be) up at some time tomorrow instead.

The blog was to show a promo video for FM08 which I'm somewhat proud of - Frontroom (Sega's creative partner) have done a great job on it.

So, whilst it was postponed, someone forgot to tell the person who was uploading the video to You Tube. And seeing as a few people seem to have found it now, I thought it only fair to officially "leak" it here.

It's only the English language version for now - there will be French, Spanish and Italian ones too.

I hope you like it as much as I do. Feel free to give the link to whoever you want to as the only people who might mind are the people who should have told the youtube uploader to not upload it icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

Michael Foster - what would impress you then? Dancing panda's playing guitars? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be impressed.

icon_biggrin.gif

Your deservedly proud of frontroom, great ad, some people will say it's cliched, but it's not going to stop them buying th game, and will have a fair few people chomping at the bit just that little bit more.

Surely it's easy enough to edit down for TV no?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tweaks:

i think the trailer need more action more power..but its ok.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you miss the point though.

FM is about class, not flash.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by How much wood would a wood chuck chuck:

Money spent on the ad could have been used towards bettering the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by How much wood would a wood chuck chuck:

Ironing out some of the god awful bug etc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't think that any SI personnel were moved off QA to make this video, so that doesn't make much sense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

Ironing out some of the god awful bug etc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't think that any SI personnel were moved off QA to make this video, so that doesn't make much sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't really recall saying they were?

Money spent on the ad could have been used towards bettering the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fact is Sega will have allocated a certain budget for promoting the game, that includes things like this, it's not money that would otherwise have been spent on more testing and development or something, if it wasn't spent on this it would have been spent on other promotional materials, or just not spent at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

Bugs are fixed by marketing money? Right......

Hey, I've got a good idea for this thread. Let's talk about the video and the subject, with constructive criticism or praise, rather than pithy, pointless comments icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair play, not a fan of the video.

It didn't have the added edge to pull me in, make me feel part of it and the most important thing, make me want to buy the game (that could also be down to, in my view, a poor demo).

As was said earlier, needs more power, more action, more....ummpphhh.

This kind of promotional video would work better (in my opinion, and not through any market research knowledge) as a teaser for an upcoming version rather than as a trailer for an imminent release.

I have the demo in front of me, I'm not playing it. I'm waiting for the full version.

Obviously not to diminish the work done, I think it's pretty fantastic - I just think I personally would have been more appreciative if this was something I could soak in a lot earlier (especially as it doesn't offer anything directly related to the game).

If you see what I'm saying!? Anyway, congrats. It's an extremely professional and nice piece of work you have there.

• SI Staff

Jimbokav1971 - yes.

Cigol - thing is, it's not really aimed for those on here who already know about the game. The idea is that people see it who don't know that the demo is out, as the people who here about it first send the links to friends and stuff.

I agree that it would have been great to have it earlier - there are so many reasons why it wasn't, but now it's here, I'm very happy...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DJdeMarco:

Love the Rudyard Kipling influence.

icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that who wrote the poem it was based on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If%E2%80%94

icon_smile.gif

If

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,

Or being hated, don't give way to hating,

And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream -- and not make dreams your master;

If you can think -- and not make thoughts your aim;

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two imposters just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with kings -- nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds' worth of distance run --

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

And -- which is more -- you'll be a Man, my son!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quality icon14.gif.

Poem and advert.

When did The great Mr Kipling (not the one who bakes exceedingly good cakes) ever need more pizzazz.

I really liked the video. It had a touch of quiet confidence about it.

Almost like it was holding the best bits back purposefully in order to let the imagination fill in the blanks.

No flashy gadgets

No flipping nonsense

John Sm .... sorry, FM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Quality icon14.gif.

Poem and advert. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is indeed.

I am not a fan of poetry generally as, more often than not, it is contrived tripe but this is always one that will stick with me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I should die, think only this of me:

That there's some corner of a foreign field

That is for ever England. There shall be

In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;

A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,

Gave, once her flowers to love, her ways to roam,

A body of England's, breathing English air,

Washed by the rivers, blessed by the suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,

A pulse in the eternal mind, no less

Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;

Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;

And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,

In hearts a peace, under an English heaven.

Rupert Brooke (1887-1915)

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quality icon14.gif.

Poem and advert. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite funny when Mike Bassett reads that poem on Mike Bassett: England Manager & finishes and says "England will be playing four-four ****ing two" and walks out of the press conference. Should of had that in the FM ad tbh icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I should die, think only this of me:

Rupert Brooke (1887-1915)

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very heartfelt.

From reading it and the dates he lived between, I would assume that this was written on the battlefield during world war one.

With this in mind, it gives me a picture of a man with courage. He knew he was not far from death but had the power within to accept it and fight for a brighter future for others that will live on after him.

Poetry corner it is then. icon_biggrin.gif

Sure beats the usual bickering.

icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Right. Today's blog had to be postponed for various technical reasons, and was (and still will be) up at some time tomorrow instead.

I hope you like it as much as I do. Feel free to give the link to whoever you want to as the only people who might mind are the people who should have told the youtube uploader to not upload it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now if that doesn't get the the blood flowing through the veins, Nothing will. icon_biggrin.gif

mallen102000 - internet based. Too long for TV.

Michael Foster - what would impress you then? Dancing panda's playing guitars? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Call me...

TBH it didn't do a lot for me. Not sure what constructive criticism entails exactly, so i'll just say the voice was a bit weak, not inspiring (Sean Bean has the voice and would get the passion across - but costs and everything come into it) And the wording really didn't seem to flow.

I'm sure many hours went into it, but it came across as if the script was hastily written and then the voice actor was shoved in front of a microphone at the last minute.

The idea was spot on, no worries with that; it embodies all that being a football manager is about with the right kind of voice thrown over to try and capture the audience, but overall that extra edge in quality was lacking for me, sorry.

Archived