How to keep big teams from poaching your prospects?

I'm pretty new to FM and I'm an American who isn't all that familiar with how international pro soccer works, so bear with me. I think that means I have 2 strikes against me already. :D

I started a save with Southhampton down in League 1. After our first season my youth academy generated 2 decent porspects. One might be a backup in the future. The other was good enough to be a borderline starter. But by the start of season 2 the better prospect signed a contract with Chelsea and I never had a chance to hold on to him. The game never gave me the option to turn down Chelsea's offer. Was this because he was still on a youth contract? I hadn't thought to sign him because he wasn't close to being ready to play for my team.

So how do you keep bigger teams from stealing your prospects?

Thanks in advance.

at the soonest possible opportunity... tie the lads down to full time contracts...

if a team becomes interested in your player... hike his sale value up to silly amounts , give him a new contract and cross your fingers..

to be honest.. if he's a youth player.. you cant do a whole lot to stop the big boys stealing your talent... its part of the game :(

Archived