Funny/Wierd/Stupid reasons for signing a player

Few weeks ago I read this story about young Derby centre half Jermaine Johnson

http://www.offthepost.info/2009/09/derby-countys-jermaine-johnson-hooks-up-with-wrong-club-for-loan-move/

and of course the first thing i did is checked him out on FM. Ended up taking him on loan for my Rushden and Diamonds team and then he eventually signed and is a first team regular!! :

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2570/3960558926_bbc26aa1ed_o.jpg

Has anyone else got any funny stories about reasons they signed players??

Well my stories not as funny as yours ;) but I did consider trying to make a team out of players with the same name.

For some reason I chose the bane marquinhos. I found about four players but then realised my mistake. I should gave gone for a more common name.

Actually tried to do something similar ages ago trying to have a fully irish sqad, also realising the key mistake that there simply isnt enough players!! well good ones anyhow

i once signed a player with the same name as one of my old school friends. he turned out to be an international super-star! since i got him at the age of 16 turned into a real bargain ;)

I did something similar a few years ago - searching for my name I came up with a few players so I signed the best of the bunch, then did the same with my brothers name. Starting with both from the age of 16 I kept them in my team for several years, buying them when I moved clubs, giving them plenty of games, etc to see who turned out the best. Needless to say ....... they were both crap :p

I once started with a Belgian team and used the first year to sell ALL players and only sign Faroese players :) - I actually got promoted in 2nd season. I managed to develop quite a few good faroese players that were sold to bigger belgian teams and some other good european clubs :) - great game that was!

I always try and sign Bonaventure Kalou, great name and he sometimes has decent stats. I also have kept his WCCF card, I was going to buy his jersey but never could find the right one.

I bought someone who played for Netherlands Antillies, a defender I can't remember now. He was ok, just wanted another international, until i found out the Antillies play about a game a year.

I signed Kennedy Bakircioglü from Ajax for Wolves, just and only because this was my first Wolves save since CM00/01 (I think, HIS version anyway) where he scored 40 goals a year for my Wolves side. So just for the good old times I wanted to have him in my squad, but unfortunately he complained too much about not playing and was sold on 6 months later as he disrupted the ambience in the team.

:(

i signed a player once just because his name was Pila (imagine someone named Penis .. not Dick because that's pretty common but Penis) .. and that's it lol .. that word is portuguese by the way.

There was a player called Brian Pinas that played for Newcastle and variuos Dutch teams IIRC, and don;t forget the brilliant Stefan Kuntz and Uwe Fuchs.

I tend to sign players with odd nationalities too.

There are a couple of players in the game that i went to school with, so depending on who i'm managing i sign them.

i do the same to kights at wolves and scotty griffiths at dagenham and redbridge, kights use to play the old championship manager series i remeber cm4 we was 16

/17 when he was on the game at southend (poor ca and pa) when we would play a two or three player game id often sign him and make him rot in my reserves

i always sign scotty whoever i am even if i never play him

There were two youth players in the Oxford United squad in CM 01/02 who were at Sixth Form with me, always used to sign them at the start of the game and let them rot *cough* I mean develop *cough* in my top flight reserves / youth set-up. Needless to say never in the 3 years I was playing the game did they ever amount to anything.

To tie up the anecdote (wake up at the back) one is now a building site labourer and the other is living in Didcot (not sure which is worse). I'm now a qualified solicitor.

I'd definitely swap positions to be featured in FM though. On second thoughts.....

i also try and sign brothers if they play in the same position. such as Darren and Elliott Ward in Centre Defence. Or when i was Man Utd i put the Ferdinands in defence together. even though Anton werent as good they still were solid defence as they read eachother like a book. I still want to find brother strikers though.

Man i must sooooo boring........ id like to sign players because of there talent,

Although this did lean to an interesting situation once, There is a keeper call david Bevan (A real player) who plays fo Aston Villa in goal he was transfer listed and i tried to sign him, he was awesome quality for League 1 thought considering he hadn't played a first team game and was affordable he might come my team. however he ended up going to a championship team Coventry i think,

So whats interesting about that?

My name just happens to be David Bevan, I also live in Birmingham, Although the player irish but is currently coming through the ranks at Villa and I am a Brummie, and the whole of my family support the Villa team and we both are the same age he is a couple of months older irrc.

I signed Kennedy Bakircioglü from Ajax for Wolves, just and only because this was my first Wolves save since CM00/01 (I think, HIS version anyway) where he scored 40 goals a year for my Wolves side. So just for the good old times I wanted to have him in my squad, but unfortunately he complained too much about not playing and was sold on 6 months later as he disrupted the ambience in the team.

:(

Kennedy Bakircioglü = Legend he was immense on cm00/01 a true great of the games of old

I have a very bad habit of signing foreigners. I think I have two Scots in my starting XI with Celtic. :D

And I like signing players from Obscure nations.

I also have a very bad habit of signing Jamie Adams (Kilmarnock) in every save (well every save with Scotland loaded).

I once had an entire right side that was all Sinclairs - Frank, Trevor & James.

Also one season I turned Hayes & Yeading into an entirely French squad (not sure how that would have gone down with the locals in real life, but there you go). Lots of good Reunionese & French freebies at the start of FM09... Of course then I had to sign French speaking coaches...nightmare. :)

Cool sounding names on youngsters always get me. I signed a regen named Romeo Sneijder (must have been his long lost brother), who became a monster striker for West-Ham side before he turned 19. Imagine a kid named Romeo scoring a hat-trick against your side, how disheartening would that be?

Sometimes when I play small eastern European teams, I sign any spanish/english/italian I can, just so I can show that I'm class and to delude myself that maybe more will choose to come over after. I signed a spanish washed-up MC named Francisco, who turned out to be attrocious and be prone to random acts of rage, resulting in red cards.

I do like to get players with unusual nationalities, kiwis are always good to come across.

Strangest reason I ever bought a player was when I managed York, and bought a player purely because I thought he'd hit the bar in soccer am's crossbar challenge. Later on I found out he'd actually missed horribly, and was notable only for swearing loudly and punching the floor afterwards.

When my teams have the money and I'm playing as a successful club, I have a terrible tendency to spot players whom I recognise as important internationals (comparatively, to their country) released on a free, feel sorry for them when they don't immediately find a new club, and sign them to loan out to worthy teams. I think I signed a couple of aging Montenegrin players before for this reason, because I thought Montenegro would suffer without them getting club games. Usually the result is that the players get annoyed at realising they will never get into the first team, and demand to leave. Half the time also, I see when they first sign that they rejected offers from other clubs and I suddenly realise that they were never going to miss out on finding a new club in the first place :\

Sometimes my philanthropic side does make me look pretty stupid...

When my teams have the money and I'm playing as a successful club, I have a terrible tendency to spot players whom I recognise as important internationals (comparatively, to their country) released on a free, feel sorry for them when they don't immediately find a new club, and sign them to loan out to worthy teams. I think I signed a couple of aging Montenegrin players before for this reason, because I thought Montenegro would suffer without them getting club games. Usually the result is that the players get annoyed at realising they will never get into the first team, and demand to leave. Half the time also, I see when they first sign that they rejected offers from other clubs and I suddenly realise that they were never going to miss out on finding a new club in the first place :\

Sometimes my philanthropic side does make me look pretty stupid...

You are an angel sir.

Kennedy Bakircioglü = Legend he was immense on cm00/01 a true great of the games of old

Back then I even considered getting a customized shirt with his name from Wolves, but didn't do it in the end.

Now I just wanted to have him on the team again for good old times sake, knowing he would never be able to be a starter and being able to spare 1.7m for his transfer fee. So unfortunate he started to quarrel right away after a few months. :( Would have loved to keep him in my squad as a mascot till his retirement...

I felt sorry for a Blue Square team going into administration and being docked points, so I bought their best looking youngster (he wasnt very good!), valued at 2k, for Liverpool for 200k, to give them a cash boost.

I like this! A bit of football altruism. I might set up a string of friendlies at struggling lower league clubs next pre-season to help them out.

not funny, but there was one particular goalkeeper who would ALWAYS play a blinder against my Celtic side. i checked him out in other matches and he was awful - seriously bad, conceded the most amount of goals in the league - yet when he played my club i'd be lucky to snatch a 89th minute winner against him after another 12 shots on target, all brilliantly saved by the acrobat in goals.

one match like that is a fluke, but after a season and a half - 6 matches against this guy - i snapped and bought him for 10 times his value in the January transfer window. i gave him a long term contract, low wages high appearance fee. i gave him no training schedule and put him in the youth side and never played him. i was very bitter about the whole thing!

On one of the other versions I tried to assemble a squad of players with similar names... The squad included Coco, Cocu, Kaka, Kiko and Kuqi amongst others... Commentators nightmare!

It wasn't even a bad team either, only the goalkeeper (some spaniard named Koke, or Keko, or whatever) was really below par of a nice UEFA cup team...

This will be a few seasons/games back now, I signed my mate's brother who was a GK for Stoke Reserves. Turned out he had a really high random potential and went on to play for England and even lifte the World Cup as captain. However I did the same thing on another game and he didn't manage a stat in double figures!

Archived