I Installed FM 09 on Steam, so Could I Trade it in...

Why not legally?

You could still install it on the new person's computer, you can install it on 5 different machines as far as I'm aware?

Only the owner of the copy is allowed to install it. So by selling your copy, you would legally be giving up your right to have it on your machine(s).

Right, so if I wait till 1st November (when I have FM 10), install FM09, then trade it in, that's OK?

Cheers for the quick responses :)

As far as I know, if you paid for the boxed version, then activate it via Steam and then trade the boxed copy in, it's still illegal because by trading it in, and therefore losing ownership of that copy, you've given up the right to use the activation code which came with the boxed version.

Plus, if you did do that, you'd either A. deprive the copy's new owner of 1 activation seat (there are some people who don't know about the Deactivation site) or B. lose your copy altogether anyway (if the copy's new owner uses the Deactivation Site to get all his/her rightfully owned seats back).

You'll be unable to trade into into game stores such as Gamestation, etc. The stores that actually know about games, especially the one's that deal with trade-ins.

As they are aware that it is a game that requires activation and certain activation rules such as only on X number of PC's or installations I think on the same machine if formatted or newer hardware is installed. Only X number of installs, it's a right nuisance. I can only imagine.

So these game shops will decline. As, to be honest they will not want the hassle of trying to explain to some poor sole that's saved up their pocket money or what have you to find they are unable to use the game as all the activations have been used. Being totally unaware. That these activation rules have been reached.

It would be nice to be able to pass used FM games on 2nd hand maybe some how by some funky DRM type code you can de-activate your original code, then generate a new official key. Otherwise that bargain purchase by saving up your paper round money, or for doing some house work, might as well have gone down the toilet.

I could trade FM in at CEX for £9, which is the same price as FM 08.

I took my FM 09 to CeX after I'd installed it & that through STEAM, and the bloke behind the counter said "Sorry mate, we only take these with the cellophane still on, because of the activations", so I doubt it'd work if you went, but worth a try maybe? lol

Archived