Standing in the Championship

Hmmm ..... i am in two minds. One one hand I believe that if a rule is a rule then it should be reflected in the game to make is a 'management simulator' and not some mish mash of baloney like some of the otehr management games out there.

But on the other hand, i often play LLM saves and it would definitely annoy the heck out of me if i couldnt go up from league one because of this rule.

I just took barnet into the premiership after 5 years in the Championship. During those five years the club didnt have the finances to improve the stadium and i was stuck at 5000 max attendance and i am sure some of those were standing. When i got promoted i was heavily in the red (as i went all out on the wage budget to try and secure promotion) but the game kick in and still instantly said that we were going all seater and adding 7500 more seats in the process. I guess it justifies this because of the amount of cash i will get in tv rights etc. when in the premiership.

The right week to pose a question like this! Standing in real life should never be allowed again, but off that, in game terms then i think that this is one thing that should be overlooked. The realism of having the standing rule would annoy the heck out of a lot of people and get in the way of their games.

The right week to pose a question like this! Standing in real life should never be allowed again, but off that, in game terms then i think that this is one thing that should be overlooked. The realism of having the standing rule would annoy the heck out of a lot of people and get in the way of their games.

I dissagree with your 1st statement, it's possible to have perfectly safe standing areas at football (well certainly as safe as you can possibly be at a football game) but that's sidetracking the post so I will leave it there.

It should be a rule that is implemented.

This way it is realistic, and it may force chairman to expand stadiums.

What happens if a club canot meet guidelines?

Do they not get promoted and the closest club with the stadium that fits the bill get promoted?

If this is the case, this may be an excellent but harsh feature to add to the game.

I think there was an exception in 2001 when Fulham won promotion to the Premiership. Didn't they allow standing at Craven Cottage for a year before they moved to Loftus Road?

Indeed there was. And the Fulham board still didn't take this chance to redevelop the ground.

I'm with stevie_j10, if it's a rule, it should be implemented.

I understand SI; by not doing so, they've got ridden of a lot of problem. People complaining of not being permited to go up, massive debts just for the stadium upgrade, etc..

By adding this in the game, SI could open a door to a lot of other areas in-game, and that is the good part:

There could be a small stadium information with the presentation of the club we take (pitch conditions, stadium conditions, minimum obligations if we went up, etc.);

The board, knowing that it would be impossible to raise the money to upgrade the stadium, could lower the season(s) expectations;

When battleing to come up, the board could remind the manager of what could happen (we're sorry but we don't have the money...; we need 1 million to rebuilt, sell players before...; we're going to make a loan...; etc.);

If (God willing!) the club went up, the club could do a lot of things:

if the stadium already had seats, closing the terrraces (possibly lowering attendances);

temporarily relocating to another stadium while the original was undergoing works and, by doing so, taking loans or obliging the manager to sell players for the extra money;

put the club for sale;

etc..

This could also bring not only a new bar in the board/fan confidence and adding newer features in it (managers/board ambition, for example), but probably unlocking the - extremely important - talk with the board.

And for all of those (me included) who cannot get in the favorite personnel pannel and don't know why, this could give us a good chance of getting in. It's not everyone who get's an LLM team in the premier, but even fewer will get it with such a ruling...

Cheers.

Things like this used to be included in older versions - e.g. the 10,000 seater rule that they had in Scotland. Back in CM01/02 (I think) I managed Ayr United a few times and when we got promoted to the SPL the board would cripple the club (obviously this was before the current system of financial loans and whatnot) by expanding to a swaggering 18,000 all seater stadium despite the club only getting attendances of ~5,000 in their promotion season. For a club of that size and in the SPL it was nigh on impossible to clear the huge debts that the stadium expansion created!

The good thing about this possibility is to have a better game.

If it were in FM09, glamdring, your Ayr team could go up with a smaller then 10,000 seats stadium (wich I believe still isn't possible), but in the old CM it couldn't without imminent bankrupcy... Wich is bad both ways.

The old system didn't have the possibility to go to other stadiums or get loans - wich is unreal - and the new system let's anybody come all the way up - wich is unreal too.

Look at Gretna - the worst thing for them was coming all the way up. Playing in Fir Park because Raydale Park didn't meet SPL requirements is something that neither CM or FM could do without being hard-coded in the game...

If small rules like this are in-game, than there are a lot more chances of real events being emulated in FM in the future.

Archived