3-5-3 or any other formations with 3 backs

If im playing in a line-up where I only have 3 defensive backs, am I better off with all of them being CB's or does it make more sense to have one thats a DL, DR, and one that DC???? My 1st DR is only my 6th best DC so I don't know if I should keep in the starting XI or not. Or should I put the 3rd DC in instead. Thanks.

First and foremost I would play with a keeper, as much as I admire the 3-5-3 thinking you might find you conceed to many goals.

I would say use 3 CBs as playing 2 fullbacks will leave loads of space down the middle.

First and foremost I would play with a keeper, as much as I admire the 3-5-3 thinking you might find you conceed to many goals.

I would say use 3 CBs as playing 2 fullbacks will leave loads of space down the middle.

I agree with disgy11 but I'd play with 2 centre backs and a sweeper/libero.

I play a 3-5-2 quite often and have to say I stick with 3 Centre Backs every time. You will probably need at least 5 capable centre backs over the course of a season, due to injuries, suspensions etc.

If you use full backs and 1 centre back then the opposion will run at you through the centre and probably score lots of goals that way.

If you are playing this type of system then I would also recommend that you have a quality DMC dropping back to support your defence and to cut out a lot of passes/make early tackles. You will also find your wingers, or wing backs (which is what I use) are key to your sucess.

Play all 3 centreback to avoid being outnumbered in the middle. It's vital that you set the side DCs' to man marking, and closing down to first notch of "own half", otherwise you'll get murdered down the wing. The DC in the middle I put on closing down "own area", zonal marking, and if he's good on the ball I turn his mentality up 2 or 3 notches and let him have forward runs set to mixed in order to start attacks from the back.

Archived