Well, Guatemala messed up.

I'm managing the United States and Tottenham right now, and just guided the US through the Gold Cup in 2013. My group was Panama, Guatemala, and the British Virgin Islands, so I obviously progressed very easily. How easily I would do so, however, I failed to realize until about 60 minutes into my group stage match with Guatemala. As I watched their goalkeeper give up an absurdly soft goal, I noticed that he was wearing #7, a peculiar number for a keeper. So I clicked on his profile, turns out he was a right midfielder. Easy victory for me! I thought it was just luck, maybe both of their goalkeepers got hurt or something before...after a glance at their roster for the tournament, I see that...oh wait, they didn't even select a keeper at all.

So, you'd think that Guatemala gets absolutely dominated in the whole tournament, right? Ha, wrong. They beat the British Virgin Islands 2-0 in their final match of the group stage, and with the Gold Cup being obscenely easy to progress in, they made it to the quarters, where they faced me again. This time, fully aware of their lack of a goalkeeper (and their lack of quality in general), I went 4-2-4, all-out attack, and scored 10 goals on 11 shots, winning 10-0.

Has anyone else had this happen? I mean, I HAVE a Guatemalan keeper in my reserves for Tottenham, so it's not like there aren't any in the game. They just completely failed to select one.

Never noticed this myself but then again i haven't done international management in a long time.

Off topic question - given your username how come you're managing Spurs?

I started off managing the US through the 2010 World Cup, then decided to take on the additional role of Rubin Kazan. It was a miserable 200+ days, so I quit around May 15th to find a job in England. I applied for Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, and Dover Athletic. Spurs and Dover were the only ones to make offers, so it was Premier League with Spurs or Blue Square South. So I took the Spurs job, and right now (2013/14) I have them 6 points clear at the top (over Arsenal) with 10 matches left in the season.

Archived