Talk about bad luck....major signing out for 6 months!

I'm sure this has happened to many of you, but I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the message pop up in my inbox.

Brief background -

I'm in charge of Nottm Forest, it's now July 2008 and I'd won League One in the 1st season.

So I'm working on my transfer whealing and dealing trying to build a squad that is not just good enough to win promotion at the first attempt, but also solidify Premier League status for the future.

I'd just pulled off a major transfer coup by signing Luis Jimenez for £1.9mil and 2 days later he breaks his leg in a pre-season friendly and he is out for 6 months!

Anyone else had luck as bad or even worse than this with a major new transfer?

I'm sure this has happened to many of you, but I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the message pop up in my inbox.

Brief background -

I'm in charge of Nottm Forest, it's now July 2008 and I'd won League One in the 1st season.

So I'm working on my transfer whealing and dealing trying to build a squad that is not just good enough to win promotion at the first attempt, but also solidify Premier League status for the future.

I'd just pulled off a major transfer coup by signing Luis Jimenez for £1.9mil and 2 days later he breaks his leg in a pre-season friendly and he is out for 6 months!

Anyone else had luck as bad or even worse than this with a major new transfer?

Yeah, stuff happens.

Usually the player in question make his first appearance, shows incredible promise... and promptly breaks his leg. It happens rather frequently across all clubs in active leagues, which leads me to suspect that "it's more just than just a random occurrence" [cue theme to X-files]. When it happens to me, it's usually a winger. Inexplicably if my new winger makes an excellent debut, look out for shattering bone come the next match!

Just spoke to one of my mates on msn and he reminded me of a save game I played with him about 4 or 5 years ago.

He bought Kieron Dyer (when he was in his early days at Newcastle and showed a lot of promise) for about £8mil and before he played a game for him he broke his leg in training. And then one month before he was about to return to training he promptly retired from the game because of his injury!

My mate was seething....£8mil + wages down the drain!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by triggerluke:

Just spoke to one of my mates on msn and he reminded me of a save game I played with him about 4 or 5 years ago.

He bought Kieron Dyer (when he was in his early days at Newcastle and showed a lot of promise) for about £8mil and before he played a game for him he broke his leg in training. And then one month before he was about to return to training he promptly retired from the game because of his injury!

My mate was seething....£8mil + wages down the drain! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure that happened to Luc Nilis. Or similar at any rate. I feel for the player more than the club!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When it happens to me, it's usually a winger. Inexplicably if my new winger makes an excellent debut, look out for shattering bone come the next match! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats ok - i play 5-3-2 so no wingers for me! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stomalomalus:

That was his name! Sorry, wasn't he the Villa player who broke his leg colliding with Richard Wright? Nasty one that was, his leg wrapped all the way round Wrights! The wrong way!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This collision?

Sorry if it comes out a little bit blurry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by happy slappy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stomalomalus:

That was his name! Sorry, wasn't he the Villa player who broke his leg colliding with Richard Wright? Nasty one that was, his leg wrapped all the way round Wrights! The wrong way!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This collision?

Sorry if it comes out a little bit blurry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, that collision.

It was such a shame as only a week before, he had scored an incredible goal against Chelsea, flicking the ball up and then volleying in from a tight angle into the far corner.

Thankfully Villa were never managed by Arsene Wenger, as he would've been lobbying for a return to the death penalty to end Wright's career (despite the fact that it was an unforunate accidental collision).

I was following a 17 year old wonderkid MC at a Spanish club. He was valued at £4m, with a £1.5m release clause, so of course I made a bid. While he was considering the contract, he broke his cruciate ligaments, and was out for 8 months. Despite the fact I would've been happy to wait, the medic called off the transfer. Now he's 19, the release clause is at £80m and a £15m bid gets rejected. Argh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Queen of the Stevenage:

Man, I hate to moan, AGAIN my chairman has gone over my head and sold off my top striker. Twice in two seasons!

I've got £6m in from them, but no decent players want to come down to the French National! AARRGGHH!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And why do you need to hijack this thread for that?

I had something similar. I bought a player in January and played him happily for six games, he was a striker but didnt score in those games. His seventh game, he scored his first, his second and his third goal for the club and promptly got injured for 4 months in the next game icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

Didn't that happen to West Ham with Julien Faubert earlier this season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It did.

Especially devastating for a guy who is as pacey and relies on speed as much as he does.

Archived