Mid life FM crisis.

Been playing SI's footy management games for years and enjoyed wasting many a month or ten on them. But right now I'm finding it hard to rediscover the addiction. I still buy it every year but I can't get past the feeling that it's nothing more than a click fest with bouts of transfer excitement at every transfer window.

Changing your tactics every game seems to just lead to poor results as if the game promotes keeping a settled formation and tactics. So with nothing to do before each game it's simply a case of picking the best 11 fit players for the job again and again and again till the summer.

Please help me to rediscover the love for the best gaming series ever. This is the game that almost made me fail University in the past. What am I doing wrong or what am I missing? As fellow FM devotees I'm relying on you guys to help me out.

I once felt your pain. Redemption is at hand.

For me, from CM4 onwards things just got too in-depth. I discovered champman0102.co.uk, which keeps updates and edits for my favourite version of Championship/Football Manager - CM3 (01/02 season). I dug out my old disk, downloaded the updates from this site and rediscovered the spark.

Since then, I got a PSP and bought FMH09 and loved it - it has all the best bits of the later versions of FM, but without all the nit-picking depth. So now I'm an FMH09 disciple, simply because I can play it anywhere around the house rather than at the PC.

I'm with you on that one. The one I wasted most time on was CM00/01 before the transfer windows came in. And now that other life commitments have eaten into my FM time my PSP is my saviour.

The real problem right now is that I'm finding it hard to really get into. I get a brief addiction but then I start to lose interest because I fell like I'm doing the same thing every game and just waiting for each transfer window to add a bit of excitement.

I feel like I'm at FM addicts anonymous :)

Archived