What are SI going to do about Keane?

As we all know keane as returned back to spurs with the proverbial tale between his legs. now, how are SI gonna handle this in the new patch? will there be a future transfer put in or will it be like the last 6 months never happened? Ill be interested to see what they do.

What so basically it'll just be like the liverpool transfer never happened? they cant just deleat it from his history

Of course they won't.

They'll put him into Spurs.

Note down in his history that he played 19 games(I don't know exactly) for Liverpool, scored 6...(Again, I don't know).

That's it.

I don't see where the complications come into this.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

What so basically it'll just be like the liverpool transfer never happened? they cant just deleat it from his history

They could well do that, but more than likely they'll have his Liverpool history included like normal. Its not like it makes much of a difference anyway.

But they can, and do. Whenever a post-January window patch comes out, the accompanying data update has players at their new clubs, but when you start a new game you start in the pre-season. So every player who moves in January has the last six months of his history wiped out when you start a new game, with the new data, post-patch.

At least that is my understanding

But they can, and do. Whenever a post-January window patch comes out, the accompanying data update has players at their new clubs, but when you start a new game you start in the pre-season. So every player who moves in January has the last six months of his history wiped out when you start a new game, with the new data, post-patch.

The done this with Huntelaar, I believe.

Here's how it will look. Please bear in mind I don't know Keane's real appearances and goals so I've made the numbers up.

2007/2008 - Tottenham Hotsur 33 apps 16 gls

2008/2009 - Liverpool 0 apps 0 gls

2008/2009 - Tottenham Hotspur 0 apps 0 gls.

It's not perfect, but it's the only option they've got and it's the way they've always done it.

Of course they won't.

Note down in his history that he played 19 games(I don't know exactly) for Liverpool, scored 6...(Again, I don't know).

That's it.

ye but where will those games be in his history. because if you start a game in july 08 with the new patch he will have never joined liverpool. i dont see why you dont understand what im saying?

Tbh they should just set future transfers for players who move in January.

Since FM07 (I think, might be 08) they solved the problem of teams not being able to buy any player(s) who had an future transfer added to them in the data editor (basicly if a club's transfer budget wasn't big enough to cover any or all future transfers, the transfer(s)wouldn't go through), but since the transfer fee is now taken out of the clubs overall balance, I can't see why this aint an option plus it gives the 'player' who's moved his history of the club he was previously at.

The only downside to future trasnfers is that it is little time consuming, but it adds that little bit more to the games realism.

ye but where will those games be in his history. because if you start a game in july 08 with the new patch he will have never joined liverpool. i dont see why you dont understand what im saying?

See my explanation because that is what will happen.

Of course they won't.

That's it.

See my explanation because that is what will happen.

awrite m8 calm dow. like the other guy said. its not their only option is it. i dont see why they cant put future transfers in there.

I do know what you're saying.

And, I've said, they will say he played for both clubs in the same season.

Which I why I asked if I was missing something.

There was no reason for SI to not do this.

Why are you asking the question when you have just said yourself "they've always done it like that"? :confused:

I agreed that SI have always moved players (who have moved in the January transfer window) from one club to another

Because it's takes more time for them to do that?

Takes about the same time that it would to move the player from one club to another then editing both clubs finances.

Took me 5 hours today to do all transfers from Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Faroe Island, Germany and Malta I found on wikipedia, ok it's not 100% right but it wouldn't take SI that long to do, and I'm sure they'd have more than one person doing all of this as well.

I do know what you're saying.

And, I've said, they will say he played for both clubs in the same season.

Which I why I asked if I was missing something.

There was no reason for SI to not do this.

well, because the games he will have played for liverpool would be in the future wouldnt they. that season (in the game) hasnt taken place yet. so basically theyre just going to ignore his time at liverpool. they should just put a future transfer in. ye its a bit more work but at least it'd be accurate.

ive just had a thought. maybe they should not do any mid season transfers. because the selling of keane was a decision Lafa made. but if you take over 'pool then he wont be there to make that decision. same applies for redknapp buying him back. hmmm

awrite m8 calm dow. like the other guy said. its not their only option is it. i dont see why they cant put future transfers in there.

It's not about calming down. I've answered the question and yet people are still asking what will happen. By all means, keep debating possible options. But the question has been answered so there's no need to keep wondering what will happen.

ive just had a thought. maybe they should not do any mid season transfers. because the selling of keane was a decision Lafa made. but if you take over 'pool then he wont be there to make that decision. same applies for redknapp buying him back. hmmm

That definitely will not do. Based on that train of thought, SI should not update the summer window signings as well, since those too are all decisions made by the 'real-life' managers and not by the user managers that take over clubs ingame.

• SI Staff

I guess it will be as if he has never been at Liverpool in the game. It will be the same for any player who started off the season at a club then went elsewhere as when starting in the 08/09 season the History entry for that season won't be picked up.

It should still be in the database that he made x appearances and scored y goals for Liverpool but won't be something the user will ever see (until FM2010). That's my understanding of how it works anyway.

It's not about calming down. I've answered the question and yet people are still asking what will happen. By all means, keep debating possible options. But the question has been answered so there's no need to keep wondering what will happen.

we were discussing possible options that we think they should do. fair enough you answered the question. doesnt mean i have to be satisfied with the answer does it.

That definitely will not do. Based on that train of thought, SI should not update the summer window signings as well, since those too are all decisions made by the 'real-life' managers and not by the user managers that take over clubs ingame.

i understand what you are saying. my train of thought was though that you are taking over at a club before those transfers went through i.e the manager was not there to make them. when a new game comes out the summer transfers have already happened. i.e the manager was there to make them.

i understand what you are saying. my train of thought was though that you are taking over at a club before those transfers went through i.e the manager was not there to make them. when a new game comes out the summer transfers have already happened. i.e the manager was there to make them.

Following what you have said though, the same can be applied to the summer window because when you start a game, you start right at the start of the window. So technically, all the transfer deals that were negotiated during the window have not happened ingame as well.

Take for instance the Berbatov to Man United deal. If you play as the Man United manager, you would have replaced Ferguson before the date of the Berbatov transfer in real life, and so you should not expect to see Berbatov at Man United in your game.

Removing the transfers, regardless of whichever window they came in, would do a lot of people's heads in.

• SI Staff
Ter - Why not just give players who have moved in the January window future tansfers in the game instead of moving them to the club this not 'distrupting thier 'history'.

Because this is the way we have always done it and will continue to do it. With the database evolving and getting better then something like this may be possible in the future but at the moment it's far too much work for the research team.

It's something worth exploring IMO but a lot more work than you might think.

well, because the games he will have played for liverpool would be in the future wouldnt they. that season (in the game) hasnt taken place yet. so basically theyre just going to ignore his time at liverpool. they should just put a future transfer in. ye its a bit more work but at least it'd be accurate.

He will not have played in the future on appearance though.

All it will say is:

Tottenham: 2007-2008

Liverpool: 2008-2009

Tottenham: 2008-2009

Simple.

Fair enough, this could be misleading at first. But as soon as you pass Christmas, you'll realise what it means.

Following what you have said though, the same can be applied to the summer window because when you start a game, you start right at the start of the window. So technically, all the transfer deals that were negotiated during the window have not happened ingame as well.

Take for instance the Berbatov to Man United deal. If you play as the Man United manager, you would have replaced Ferguson before the date of the Berbatov transfer in real life, and so you should not expect to see Berbatov at Man United in your game.

Removing the transfers, regardless of whichever window they came in, would do a lot of people's heads in.

true. it was just a thought. i know you take over at the start of the window in the summer. but you are aware of what the team is at the start of the yr. everything after that is subject to circumstance within the game. i dont think you can just take keane away from liverpool like it never happened. and if you put a future transfer in, he may play amazing in the first half of season but 'pool would still have to let him go. can you see where im comin from?

[edit] one way to make it better would be to put a start date at the end of jan. but its doubtful that many would use it

Because this is the way we have always done it and will continue to do it. With the database evolving and getting better then something like this may be possible in the future but at the moment it's far too much work for the research team.

It's something worth exploring IMO but a lot more work than you might think.

Ter - I know how much work it is and also how hard as well as I've spent weeks upon weeks editing players who have moved not only during the winter transfer window but also the summer transfer windowas well (I think editing into the editor both the winter transfers and then the the summer tranfers for FM08 was the biggest 'update' I have done so far), but IMO I think most people would prefer this to the current way its done.

true. it was just a thought. i know you take over at the start of the window in the summer. but you are aware of what the team is at the start of the yr. everything after that is subject to circumstance within the game. i dont think you can just take keane away from liverpool like it never happened. and if you put a future transfer in, he may play amazing in the first half of season but 'pool would still have to let him go. can you see where im comin from?

[edit] one way to make it better would be to put a start date at the end of jan. but its doubtful that many would use it

I do not agree with omitting Keane's Liverpool time from his playing history as well, and definitely support the inclusion of a January start date with all competitions updated as of 1st/2nd of January even for leagues which start in July/August.

However I can imagine the impracticality of this as that would mean extra workload on SI. It would also hog valuable time and energy which could be better spent on fixing bugs and starting work on the new edition of FM. Given a choice between an up-to-date January gamestart or allowing SI to start planning and fleshing out ideas earlier for FM 2010, I am willing to bet a vast majority of gamers choosing the latter.

I always start a game after the summer or winter transfer window but I would rather have some kind of realistic apperances for any player who has moved clubs during the winter transfer window than having it shown that he's played more than he has IRL (example I would rather see that Keane has played something like 5 games for Spurs if I choose the start date as March 09 rather seeing that Keane has played 20+ games for Spurs, when IRL he wouldn't have).

This is one reason why I disagree with players being at "new" clubs before they actually are at said clubs.

Like Lassana Diarra's move to Madrid; it should be set as a future transfer (for January), and then Pompey managers should be able to reap the benefits of having that calibre of player until he moves, and then reap the financial benefits thereon.

Can't be THAT difficult to tick "Future transfer" in the master Db, surely?

EIDT: And Keane's transfer should, perhaps, be set as a 6-month loan to Liverpool.

• SI Staff
Ter - I know how much work it is and also how hard as well as I've spent weeks upon weeks editing players who have moved not only during the winter transfer window but also the summer transfer windowas well (I think editing into the editor both the winter transfers and then the the summer tranfers for FM08 was the biggest 'update' I have done so far), but IMO I think most people would prefer this to the current way its done.

Not to mention the future transfers having to be turned into permanent ones when we move on to FM2010 ;)

Not to mention the future transfers having to be turned into permanent ones when we move on to FM2010 ;)

I'm assuming you made it out of the Airport then, eventually?

Back to topic: Why aren't future transfers set up as such for official updates?

True and fair point.

From a personal point I would love to see SI set winter transfers as future transfers in the game, as it does (well I think) add the little bit more realism to FM but like you said it is a lot of hard work etc, and I guess it would be if there was say 2 different databases, so everyone is happy, at the moment I don't mind doing my own little update but it is getting harder and harder to do since websites are hard to come across now.

This is one reason why I disagree with players being at "new" clubs before they actually are at said clubs.

Like Lassana Diarra's move to Madrid; it should be set as a future transfer (for January), and then Pompey managers should be able to reap the benefits of having that calibre of player until he moves, and then reap the financial benefits thereon.

Can't be THAT difficult to tick "Future transfer" in the master Db, surely?

EIDT: And Keane's transfer should, perhaps, be set as a 6-month loan to Liverpool.

exactly, this is something thats always annoyed me post janurary update, everyone is already at their new club at the start of the season.

but its already possible to do this as SI have done it in the past and even in this game (zayette or whatever his name is to sign for hull in the first jan window) so why is this not done for everyone?

probably because its too much work to do it properly so they half ass it and just say its too hard and besides it would take out valuable time fixing all the bugs that should've been fixed when the game was first released.

i dont care about receiving the money for the future transfer as they could incorporate it into the initial budget but having that one class player for half a season might set you on your way before he has to leave.

also what people will probably do is find a replacement then just leave on the bench the player who is going but i guess only big teams can afford to do that sort of thing.

I dont really understand the need for this thread anymore/if at all. We all know what happens regarding post transfer winsodw deals in the new patch, so why the need to ask what will be done this year? :rolleyes:

But then how many players in the past have moved in the january transfer window back to the club they signed from in the summer?

Whats going to happen to Chimbonda, as he moved to Sunderland in the summer from Spurs and is now back at Spurs.

How far do you go through, do you want the exact dates that the players joined the club, if so this would have to be implemented into the summer window as well to add to the realism factor.

I think it's fine the way it is at the moment.

The summer transfer window is not a big problem as the bulk of transfers are done before the season starts, so it just means starting pre-season with one or two extra players that should have been signed later but with starting a new game with the january transfers in july with changes in the squad (even more if a team brings in something like 5 new players) is just not the same and as for Keane and Chimbonda, it messes up their history until FM10 is out

uppercut your right - in the 9.2.0 patch Klaas-Jan Huntelaarhad has a future transfer to Real Madrid set in the game and I noticed myself that other players from Denmark where also included as well as transfers that had gone in before the 10th December are set as future transfers, its just a shame SI don't set the January transfers as future transfers as well

Bugs in the game do come 1st but surely SI could figure away keep people happy who are wanting future transfers for the January transfer window or even realese a patch later on that includes future transfers for the January transfer window .

Archived