The Death Of The Football Manager Series?

For years i have been a massive fan of this series. The first time i played it was brilliant, it reminded me of the premier manager 98 game which i thought would never be beaten in terms of fun. this game for years was carrying the football management games along and nothing could compete, only championship manager and this were worth playing and football manager was easily the best.

For years now, like i say nothing has come close, but last year felt hard to get into, but eventually you did and it was great but i couldnt help but feel something was wrong. This year,my worries bacme reality, it was the first time i have ever been appalled by football manager. Yes the stats,the 3D engine are there and yes you can do more things than ever before but theres one thing this game dosent have that any game ever made needs ,THE FUN FACTOR. its just non-existent. Wheres the fun in having to go online and find out some 3-5-2 with certain defensive and countering attacking options, its rediculous.

The handhled series seems content on releasing an update every year with only 1 new feature, the makers tell us they dont want to put too many new features on the new games, they just want to put the same game with a new cover on the shelves every single year,and it still cuts out.

This series is one im falling out of love with day by day. I dont think as far as the PC game goes its down to laziness i just think that making a game too difficult is just not fun. Im not saying make it too easy but i dont want to be spending hours putting together a squad i know is better than anyone else in the league and getting thrashed at home 4-0 in your opening game or really struggling, i bet everyone else has experienced something like this. I think the handhled series is down to pure laziness really. I really do think that now football manager has seen off all its rivals its become boring. Someone out there needs to make a new manager game to rival it to put some fire back in the bellies of the makers becuase im the biggest of manager game fans and im just getting really angry having to start new games because of how hard its getting and not having teh option of buying anything else on the market.

P.s does anyone have any tactics i could use ? ,it seems it the only way foward now.

Start a BSN file, they are great fun.

I suggest Redditch(Because I am managing them)

They have low expectations and there are some decent frees available which help immensly.

I play a 4-1-2-2-1 with them like this:

---------------GK---------------

--DR(F)--DC(B)--DC(B)--DL(F)--

--------------DM--------------

----------CM(F)--CM(F)-------

---AMR(F)--------------AML(F)--

--------------ST(F)-------------

The (F)'s stand for forward runs and the (B)'s stand for backward runs.

Hope this helps.

They have low expectations and there are some decent frees available which help immensly.

Hope this helps.

how are you getting on with playing like this?

Hope this helps.

Similar tactic i used when i got Hull into Europe :)

I'm still finding the game fun, though it is more difficult/complicated than all the previous versions.

My only grumble would be that it seems to be based less on tactical knowledge and more on finding a way to crack the codes. The past 2 versions have seen some crazy, unrealistic formations being very successful.

I don't agree with all this talk about tactics being too complicated. Maybe people think it's too complicated because they keep trying to copy other peoples suggestions all the time instead of working it out for themselves.

I just started throwing things together and if it's not working then I change it. After a while you learn what works for your team and what to change if things aren't working. It doesn't need to be completely rigid with all this 3 nudges to the left and 4 to the right blah blah blah.

I find this game more fun than I have in a long time. I play a simple 4-4-2 formation with my Lincoln side, pretty much default settings for each position and have done pretty good sofar.

I've done that too- nearly all default settings, with MAYBE a tweak wrt forward runs, setting of kick takers etc, 2 promotions of my BSS in 5 seasons. Sometimes I feel people get WAY too bogged down with this belief that you need to study tactical guides for hours upon hours to have success (from forums) and just give up before they get stuck in.

I have been using the same tactic with my blyth side it's basically a 4-4-2 but with one of the midfielders dropped back to DMC. This tactic got me out of BSN and o 2nd in BSP. The game is slightly difficult but if you stick at it it will become worthwhile. So no it won't be the death of FM

Sorry, but I find this the most engaging cm/fm in years simply because of the new tactical emphasis. The other games were far too easy, this one keeps you on your toes every match near enough...great job SI!

TIP: start with a basic formation, stick with it awhile, look at your team stats and where things are going a little wrong, and try to make small adjustments (give each adjustment a little time to be adapted by your players) until you feel you have it right, sometimes it just takes one small tweak of the slider. Don't try to setup a complete tactic from scratch until you are experienced enough to do so. Don't download tactics, as it's far more satisfying developing your own.

TIP: start with a basic formation, stick with it awhile, look at your team stats and where things are going a little wrong, and try to make small adjustments (give each adjustment a little time to be adapted by your players) until you feel you have it right, sometimes it just takes one small tweak of the slider. Don't try to setup a complete tactic from scratch until you are experienced enough to do so. Don't download tactics, as it's far more satisfying developing your own.

This is what i do everytime, so easy

People who download tactics are daft, FM08 was ruined by that Kimz tactic, everytime i played a network game they just used that tactic and it was annoying

For years i have been a massive fan of this series. The first time i played it was brilliant, it reminded me of the premier manager 98 game which i thought would never be beaten in terms of fun. this game for years was carrying the football management games along and nothing could compete, only championship manager and this were worth playing and football manager was easily the best.

For years now, like i say nothing has come close, but last year felt hard to get into, but eventually you did and it was great but i couldnt help but feel something was wrong. This year,my worries bacme reality, it was the first time i have ever been appalled by football manager. Yes the stats,the 3D engine are there and yes you can do more things than ever before but theres one thing this game dosent have that any game ever made needs ,THE FUN FACTOR. its just non-existent. Wheres the fun in having to go online and find out some 3-5-2 with certain defensive and countering attacking options, its rediculous.

The handhled series seems content on releasing an update every year with only 1 new feature, the makers tell us they dont want to put too many new features on the new games, they just want to put the same game with a new cover on the shelves every single year,and it still cuts out.

This series is one im falling out of love with day by day. I dont think as far as the PC game goes its down to laziness i just think that making a game too difficult is just not fun. Im not saying make it too easy but i dont want to be spending hours putting together a squad i know is better than anyone else in the league and getting thrashed at home 4-0 in your opening game or really struggling, i bet everyone else has experienced something like this. I think the handhled series is down to pure laziness really. I really do think that now football manager has seen off all its rivals its become boring. Someone out there needs to make a new manager game to rival it to put some fire back in the bellies of the makers becuase im the biggest of manager game fans and im just getting really angry having to start new games because of how hard its getting and not having teh option of buying anything else on the market.

P.s does anyone have any tactics i could use ? ,it seems it the only way foward now.

If you are finding it too hard then try Fifa Manager

If you are finding the game too hard, then maybe walk away. Maybe come back in a few years refreshed and ready to go again ... or maybe do as the above post says, play FIFA 09.

I personally am enjoying FM09 .... so 'tis not the death of the Football Manager series for me .... but maybe because you are thinking this way, in your own mind, the seeds of death and decay are spawning ... time to walk away, before the fatal icy hand of infinite nothingness turns your thoughts to resentment and relentless soul searching as to why FM must die, and furthermore why, oh why must we all eventually follow suit, die. What is the point if the outcome is so final. Everyone approaches the thought of death in different personal ways ... and maybe the seeds of deathly doubt about the future of the Football Manager series is a personal one ... but in my own head, the series is alive and kicking, in fact maybe a tad too alive and frisky judging by it's yearly procreations.

Walk away my friend.

I don't even know what to say in these kinds of threads anymore. I've experienced all the frustrations mentioned and can totally understand why people complain, but at the same time, I've had two fantastic saves on FM09 that are fast becoming my favourites ever on CM/FM. I definitely think that, if you start a new game on 9.2.0, it gets a lot better. I get really irritated with the 3D match view. I don't know how much longer I can take of watching players hammer the ball into each other's backs or heels, for example. On the plus side, in my Kidderminster game, which is the only new game I've started on 9.2.0, injuries seem normal. In fact, I've hardly had any.

I think suggesting it's the death of Football Manager is a bit melodramatic, to be honest! But I can see where people are coming from with their frustrations. I'm just glad I've managed to get so into the game this year.

For years i have been a massive fan of this series. The first time i played it was brilliant, it reminded me of the premier manager 98

Is that the same Premier manager series where you could win every game 17-nil with one specific tactic?! How old are you? I found those kind of games fun when I was a kid, now I enjoy the challenge of pitting my tactical knowledge of the game against other managers.

For people that go back to 08, or 07 because they say 09 is too hard....they're all the same game, just slightly different aspects. The tactics are still the same, the ME is still the same. The same bugs are still there. Everything is still the same. Just in the same way we tweak our tactics in an attempt to make an "uber" tactic, SI do the same (or it appears they do same), to the game every year.

For me the fun of the game is creating a tactic that wins your team trophies. If it takes a little time then so be it. Same goes for trainign schedule. Jumping onto a wbesite and using someone else's tactic then moaning about it nhere is just daft really. Play the game Try out different ways with your team. Look at the player you have or have signed and try and play a system that suite the team. Or think of a system you want to play and buy players that fit into that said system.

I'm in agreement with the OP, sadly.

I'm happy for all those who say they're having fun with the game using the default tactics, but in this iteration, I've had no luck with them or any other tactic. This game has been more frustration than joy, alot more.

I've taken a break until the 3rd patch when I'll try again with an attempt at a long term game. If I can't get that to work, I'll leave it until FM10.

If I find FM10 to be the same or worse than 09, then I'm afraid I'll have to leave this franchise to the younger players who have more time immerse themselves.

The death of FM? I certainly hope not.

Every time a new FM comes out there are difference that make the gameplay different to your last experience with an FM game. I sucked at FM08 when I first started using it but became good at it after I'd learnt how things worked.

Same with FM09, had a few troubles at first but now I'm finding it really challenging and lots and lots of fun, just get past the learning curve and you'll probably like it.

Every time a new FM comes out there are difference that make the gameplay different to your last experience with an FM game. I sucked at FM08 when I first started using it but became good at it after I'd learnt how things worked.

Same with FM09, had a few troubles at first but now I'm finding it really challenging and lots and lots of fun, just get past the learning curve and you'll probably like it.

I agree thats been the case the last few years, but this year's learning curve seems a lot more extreme than previous.

I'm constantly stunned by people saying "FM09 is Terrible, I'm going back to FM08!" Maybe it's just me, but I all too clearly remember these forums when FM08 was the title of the day, and how loudly and profusely it was proclaimed to be the WORST since CM4. Some even claimed it was worse than CM4. But now, it's the bee's knees...

I imagine we'll see the same people crying the same fouls for FM10, with people going back tp FM09...

Probably the OP expected the sort of reaction that has come through in this thread. However, he has a point.

FM09 is not a particularly good game. The interface is clunky, the tactical system cumbersome and the ME really very poor, with unrealistic player behaviour. Team talks are repetitive, as are press conferences and both have a disproportionate effect on results. There are faults in various leagues, problems with AI clubs retaining players until they are over 40, criticisms of the regens, grumbles about the transfer system, matches are too influenced by random factors....One could go on and on.

FM hasn't had any serious competition for a while and that's showing in FM09. It may not be the death of the series but if CM comes up with a decent offering in the Spring, SI may well find that they have to do better.

FM08 was terrible, I'd never give up on 2009 for that. Like I said earlier, some of the formations that worked on 08 were just ridiculous. So far, most formations on 09 at least appear to be fairly realistic.

The game is very frustrating at the beginning, and it does require a bit of patience (or dumb luck) to build some successful tactics, but I like to think I'm very much now at that stage now.

i have to say in all the series of cm/fm i have found 09 the easiest to play

and to all those that say the game is too hard--

take something from your life that you once thought was hard and you had a paddy, say riding a bike without stabalisers, well you could ride a bike with stabalisers, so you can ride a bike, then all it took was practice and voila eventually you could ride without stabalisers.

the same principle with 09 you know the basics of it, but cant work the tactics, then learn through your own mistakes.

this version is the first version i have clicked with tactics, to a point that i could use one tactic, go on holiday till the end of the season and i have finished 1st in league or come close with european entry.

I just used my tactic I created for FM07 for the pre-rich Man City that won every league it was used in and took Every eng/euro comp in a season, 6 times straight (still available somewhere "Bartlett System Man City V2) and so far I've won the BSN with Solihull in one year with only 3 signings, my brother won BSS with Dorchester and I'm 2nd in the Prem with Blackburn... Seems to work fine, tactic system has barely changed apart from the bad ratings CM's get.

Many of these critisisms are basically like saying: I like the game, but everything about it is terrible!

The ME isn't all that different this year, the only difference is that the AI managers are more intelligent than your average plastic toy and actually put up a fight so people have to blame something for their failure, hence the 467! bloody threads about the ME cheating for the AI managers. Also, can somebody find out the exact figure of 467! for me, I'm rather interested to see if it can be done by someone here.

The tactical system works in much the same way as the previous ones, whilst these have all been about as comfortable for a new person to the series as welcoming them to your house wall papered with Nazi Memorabilia. But it's the same damn system as before and if you think this ruins this particular version then I guess you're playing the wrong game.

The same can be said for team talks and to be honest I rather like the new press conferences, despite the fact I've answered the same 10 questions roughly 30 times a season for 8 seasons!

The ME is clearly not right. It would be tedious to list all the things that people have found wrong with it again here. My own opinion is that the lack of realism in player behaviour (especially defenders) is made more glaringly obvious because of the 3D. Little dots, after all, don't appear to be moving sideways like crabs and it's much less obvious that your DC just stood still when he was much closer to the ball than the opposing FC when in 2D.

I think that hitherto SI have been able to get away with a lot because it's been hidden by the 2D. Now, however, the faults are obvious!

I've been using the same simple tactic for 4 seasons now. First season I was tipped midtable finished second, second season I was tipped 22-24 (can't remember which) and finished second again. Third season another tipped 24 finishing 17th, this season I was tipped 24th again and is currently 6th with less than 10 games left. Success is possible with simple tactics as long as you pick one to suite your team as far as I have seen. If a particular player plays 5 bad games there is likely something in his instructions that needs tuned.

Wowzers, quality reply there :rolleyes:

I feel for the OP, but I reverted to 08 and consigned 09 to the shelf.

I did this too. I just cant get into 09. I spent a long time on tactics and cannot get my team to play the way I want. Fair play though, I know plenty of people who think it's the dogs doodahs.

467! is... rather a large number. The numbers multiplied to give it include:

93 distinct multiples of 5

of which 18 are also multiples of 25

of which 3 are also multiples of 125

It therefore has 93+18+3 = 112 trailing zeros.

The final result is something like: 30852193550630324066836596349394...1014 more digits...

Anyhow, I wanted to see if anyone could get the full exact result.

I sort of had the same opinion as the thread creator (main problem was i didnt like the match engine) but then I started a save with Lyon and its got me back into the game again, yesterday I was getting abit fed up with it (too many draws and 1-0 victories were I had about 10 clear cut chances) but I dont know if that was due to the game or due to the fact that I'm ill and I feel horrible. If I was you I would try to manage a different team in a different country that you havent managed in before, I find that I cant play as a team that I've been in previos fm's simple because the save just doesnt feel as good.

Sadly I confess I have gone back to CM01/02, I just feel more in control with that classic, though success levels with the 2 games are comparable for me.

For a while was loving FM09 but eventually I felt my own scouting methods were too ineffective so I had to rely soley on the scouts reports. Sometimes I like to take responsibility for that myself and the mix of stats v's real player quality in CM01/02 is much more intuitive. It is too easy to buy a hopeless case in FM09 who seems to have the quality judging by the stats indicated. Maybe the new games rely too much on hidden stats? I guess the new games leans towards tactics rather than squad building which is OK but some of us have honed our skills as squad builders whilst keeping the tactical side simple. The new game penalises us it feels.

The shame about this thread, for me, is that it will be closed soon as the final line indicates it is a tactic request in the wrong forum. Shame, as the sentiments are valid.

I actually think this game is as good as if not better than FM08. I like the 3D Me and only have a few minor complaints about it but these will no doubt be sorted in FM2010.

I always use the same modified 442 tactic (I too believe in finding your own tactics rather than using someone else's)and have used this on the last 4 or 5 versions with generally the same results. I find that one of the most important parts is getting your coaches sorted out and get in the best that you can.Use the manual as a reference as to what attributes you need for each training rouitine. It took about 1 season to bed all of these in properly but stick with it and it will work.

A tip on the coaches though and it has been raised as a bug. Regularly check their contracts as they will leave and you do not get a news item about it. Someone mentioned this to me and when i checked my own team, all my physios had left and a few coaches had also gone (luckily though I managed to get as good as or better replacements). The regen coaches do have good stats as well so check out some of the younger unattached staff members. I am in 2013 and have picked up three excellent Physios who are young and were free.

Player tips - Again mentioned on these forums before, you can find some excellent 20 year old regens who just seem to pop up out of no where. On a regular basis I will go through and search for 20/21 year olds and you can pick up some real beauties - I would say that you can find at least one a year and they have some amazing stats and are pretty cheap when you compare the price to their stats.

If you are finding the game too hard, then maybe walk away. Maybe come back in a few years refreshed and ready to go again ... or maybe do as the above post says, play FIFA 09.

I personally am enjoying FM09 .... so 'tis not the death of the Football Manager series for me .... but maybe because you are thinking this way, in your own mind, the seeds of death and decay are spawning ... time to walk away, before the fatal icy hand of infinite nothingness turns your thoughts to resentment and relentless soul searching as to why FM must die, and furthermore why, oh why must we all eventually follow suit, die. What is the point if the outcome is so final. Everyone approaches the thought of death in different personal ways ... and maybe the seeds of deathly doubt about the future of the Football Manager series is a personal one ... but in my own head, the series is alive and kicking, in fact maybe a tad too alive and frisky judging by it's yearly procreations.

Walk away my friend.

Does anyone know what this guy said ??!!??!!?? ;)

For me, i am loving it. Tried playing in the Premiership and did mediocre. (Wasnt playing too seriously as have been waiting for January Transfer updates etc). I am trying the BSS now and just won my first game (using standard default settings).

I think the buying/selling/free players and just subtle tweaks here and there make it the more fun.

I guess the new games leans towards tactics rather than squad building which is OK but some of us have honed our skills as squad builders whilst keeping the tactical side simple. The new game penalises us it feels.

This.

My approach in the past has always been a fairly uninspiring tactic (typically a default one with a tweak or two to match how I think football should be played) - and then much wheeling and dealing to get really good players in to the team.

It seems that this approach to the game in FM09 has been deemed "wrong" and we now all need to put a lot more thought into our tactics. Which is OK for those who have been into tactics in the past, but for those of us who more or less equated "tactics" to "formation" have found it pretty tough going.

This doesn't seem right to me, I'd taken my approach to be a Harry Redknapp style of management. Which seems to work in real life...

I enjoy playing the game!!

i was playing football manger since the first one. i have always played the game to the fullest to know every player. i feel 08 was the best football manager after the patch 7.02. everything was perfect after that patch. But then when you make a remarkable 08 game and announce there is an 09 with a 3D, everyone can't wait to see it. The game came out with mistakes everywhere that they had to release a patch on the same day. i did buy 09 but i swear i haven't completed a season yet after going half way through each patch. the game is improving on flashy stuff. the game play is the same boring boring boring boring thing. we need to see new things and i agree with the guy that posted the thread because SI always bring a "new" game with a different cover. They need to step up because other games will take our attentions!

Can't disagree with the original poster more. I love this version of the game. With it's predecessor I was still hooked, but it was like a 40 a day smoker, gaining pleasure, but without the real high. With 09 it's as if I've moved on to mainlining heroin!

i was playing football manger since the first one. i have always played the game to the fullest to know every player. i feel 08 was the best football manager after the patch 7.02. everything was perfect after that patch. But then when you make a remarkable 08 game and announce there is an 09 with a 3D, everyone can't wait to see it. The game came out with mistakes everywhere that they had to release a patch on the same day. i did buy 09 but i swear i haven't completed a season yet after going half way through each patch. the game is improving on flashy stuff. the game play is the same boring boring boring boring thing. we need to see new things and i agree with the guy that posted the thread because SI always bring a "new" game with a different cover. They need to step up because other games will take our attentions!

exactly my point. i too have not completed 1 season yet no matter how hard i try. the closest i came was with leicester. the aim was to gain promotion. i was 2nd and lost 2-0 away to oldham and got the sack. i nearly smashed my laptop up. i do appreciate everyones comments and im pleased for those who are doing well but other versions of FM i could pick up and just have great fun with but this version just seems to hard to get into. Thanks for the replies guys!

Archived