Allow ability to turn off Press Conferences?

The ability to not attend press conferences.. is it too much to ask?

They really dampen my spirits while playing the game, its slow-loading and long winded enough as it is and these just make it so much worse.. nor do I want to "send assistant" cause he always says something toannoy my players

So can we just skip them, like we used to be able to with media items? I don't think anyone likes this feature as it is at the moment (though there is definitely substantial room for improvenment) and its seriously ruins the game

Cheers :)

cya

The pros and cons of press conferences has been discussed many times before.

I think the time has come for SI to pay attention to everyones desire to have an option to skip this feature all together. I feel bad for the developers who spent ages putting it together, but it's by far the most poorly implemented additional feature ever included in a new FM release. It either needs a complete and drastic overhaul, or it needs to go.

The pros and cons of press conferences has been discussed many times before.

I think the time has come for SI to pay attention to everyones desire to have an option to skip this feature all together. I feel bad for the developers who spent ages putting it together, but it's by far the most poorly implemented additional feature ever included in a new FM release. It either needs a complete and drastic overhaul, or it needs to go.

I understand your viewpoint, however, this is a rather simplistic view.

The feature itself has been implemented very well. What makes it appear like it has been implemented poorly is that after a while of playtime, depending on your career, some questions are asked again and again.

I feel it is important to point out at this stage that managers that have fluctuating careers are less likely to feel the repetitive nature of the press conferences. If you stay at the same club/level of football for your entire playtime you are obviously only ever going to see the questions that relate to that level. Those who play differing levels, leagues and have different levels of success will see quite a lot of variety in the press conferences.

For those that stick to a fairly 'limited' (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way) game style, they will see some questions come up a lot. This is partly down to time constraints, not only was the sheer amount of text to go in to the press conference module more new text than had ever gone in before, each question has to be translated, each question has to be coded to be relevant and contextual, and that's not forgetting the morale effects certain answers have.

There is lots of planned work in this area to bring them up to speed. Considering the amount of man hours that were required to get the Press Conference module off the ground and into the state you guys are currently playing I think they are good, and they are only going to get better. They may feel slightly limited now, but they will grow and become much better.

People accept that the 3D engine is a first attempt and that it will do nothing but improve. They also need to take this attitude to the other areas of the game too.

I wish Tony Adams would skip press conferences, makes me cringe every time I see him in one.

At least FM's press conferences have some basis in reality!

Back to the original point, sending the assistant should be near enough the equivalent of skipping the press conference, whereby he only selects answers that get no reaction. At the very least, we should eb able to tell him what sort of stance to take (e.g. always say we have a good chance, always 'no comment' player questions).

People accept that the 3D engine is a first attempt and that it will do nothing but improve. They also need to take this attitude to the other areas of the game too.

That's a fair point - to an extent. Team talks and manager interaction have not changed from a user perspective since they were first implemented. Those are the other two areas where our voice is heard so that is a better comparison than the 3D.

With all due respect, People don't need to do anything - they will make up their own minds based on what's in front of them.

People are willing to give 3D some leeway, it has some advantages and the majority (from polls and discussions) are actually using the 3D mode and enjoying it.

I've seen very very few (if any) positives regarding the press conference feature - and people are only using it because the assistant manager messes it up so often.

Suggesting that it's tedious because people are only playing with the same club at the same level is an awful excuse, do they not understand their target audience at all and the types of games they play?

The feature is in no way realistic, and in no way fun in the current state it is in. I don't see the problem with having a "turn this feature off" button and letting people decide themselves.

With all due respect, People don't need to do anything - they will make up their own minds based on what's in front of them.

People are willing to give 3D some leeway, it has some advantages and the majority (from polls and discussions) are actually using the 3D mode and enjoying it.

I've seen very very few (if any) positives regarding the press conference feature - and people are only using it because the assistant manager messes it up so often.

Suggesting that it's tedious because people are only playing with the same club at the same level is an awful excuse, do they not understand their target audience at all and the types of games they play?

The feature is in no way realistic, and in no way fun in the current state it is in. I don't see the problem with having a "turn this feature off" button and letting people decide themselves.

couldnt agree more

should people have varied careers just so they can experience more tolerable press conferences?

its the fact theyre poorly worded and often sound convoluted, with answers not really reflecting my thoughts or even answering the questions properly

im sure the press conferences were very difficult to create but i think most people would rather not have them at all than for them to have been released as they currently are

A fair point, but consider that it is easier for a user to understand where the faults lie with something when they can physically see them: the M.E. is a graphical representation of a sport we all watch a lot of, so it's very very easy to establish where it'll be improved upon and how.

With something like press conferences it's a lot more 'under the hood' than on display: the only thing people see are the questions themselves, not understanding the amount of work needed to even have one question appear.

The initial response to press conferences was very good and very positive. It only became negative once people had played the game for a decent period of time. People like press conferences on the whole, they just don't like the somewhat repetitive nature.

There was no excuse given for the repetition: I was simply stating that in order to implement a feature like press conferences, thousands of strings are required. With these strings we are required to cover as much of the game experience as possible, which means splitting up the amount of work that can get done around all the different areas. This is why if you play as a struggling club the whole time you get a set of stuggling club questions that repeat. It's not an excuse, we don't demand that people play varied career games: it's the simple hard and cold reality of coding, writing and translating to deadlines. We could have made certain areas less repetitive, but only at the expense of omitting others altogether. We'd rather not alienate certain groups of people, so we tried to make sure as many question areas were covered as the time allowed us to.

How do you know how realistic it is? Do you go to press conferences, or just see the little clips on SSN? One of our media team was actually at the Deco signing announcement press conference, which gave us a lot of useful information.

I never said that there was a problem with having a "turn this feature off" option: I was simply trying to explain the press conference background, since it is a lot easier to understand the flaws if you have this background.

Like I said, I appreciate all the effort that has gone in - but at the end of the day the end result is what I see and what I use, as it is for everyone else out there that plays the game. It could have 100 gigabytes of real life sampled quotes and questions behind a NASA super computer but if it asks me one more time if I'll take a 1/5 option approach to the upcoming game I'll rip the DVD in half.

Interesting that you use a reference to part of the media team attending a player signing press conference, when those aren't actually implemented either (I'm aware they are being looked at for the future). This is another example that makes it feel poorly implemented (whether due to time constraints or otherwise).

For the record I have played as both Man City expeting to win everything and Witton Albion expected to get relegated and the majority of the questions are the same week in, week out.

Too much repetition, questions with a set of answers that are either multiple choice (with the same choices every time) or just plain don't make sense and only available for pre and post matches. Sorry, but that sounds like it's poorly implemented to me.

Like I said, I appreciate all the effort that has gone in - but at the end of the day the end result is what I see and what I use, as it is for everyone else out there that plays the game. It could have 100 gigabytes of real life sampled quotes and questions behind a NASA super computer but if it asks me one more time if I'll take a 1/5 option approach to the upcoming game I'll rip the DVD in half.

Interesting that you use a reference to part of the media team attending a player signing press conference, when those aren't actually implemented either (I'm aware they are being looked at for the future). This is another example that makes it feel poorly implemented (whether due to time constraints or otherwise).

For the record I have played as both Man City expeting to win everything and Witton Albion expected to get relegated and the majority of the questions are the same week in, week out.

Too much repetition, questions with a set of answers that are either multiple choice (with the same choices every time) or just plain don't make sense and only available for pre and post matches. Sorry, but that sounds like it's poorly implemented to me.

I get that the question's annoying but how often do you watch live games when you get a brief chat with one of the managers and they say 'so how are you going to approach this game?' or similar? Pretty much every match... it's annoying but that's life :/

Not saying I don't agree that there needs to be a lot more options but... annoying as that one is it's not that unrealistic.

I understand your points but to say it is poorly implemented isn't really fair. There's a lot of improvements that can be done on it, and expansion, but just because this is so it doesn't make the work that has gone into getting it into the game is poor.

We have been carefully following reaction on press conferences so this feedback is definitely useful, even if it has been said before, this type of discussion helps us to understand what users expect (even if that is totally unrealistic given time constraints and deadlines :D)).

I get that the question's annoying but how often do you watch live games when you get a brief chat with one of the managers and they say 'so how are you going to approach this game?' or similar? Pretty much every match... it's annoying but that's life :/

It's not asked in exactly the same way everytime, and the answers the manager gives aren't off a multiple choice card with a scale of 1-5. I would expect there to be some relevance to recent results/injuries with these questions, there are some hints at it, but something like "You have been on a bad run recently, will this next game be a case of grinding out a result?"

The strongly agree->strongly disagree answers have GOT to go, they really feel like they were chucked in to save time on actually having relevant answers.

We have been carefully following reaction on press conferences so this feedback is definitely useful, even if it has been said before, this type of discussion helps us to understand what users expect

Thanks Skorp, it's nice to know we're being listened too, I'm trying hard not to be ranty, but it really is a feature that has annoyed me from announcement onwards.

even if that is totally unrealistic given time constraints and deadlines

Pfft, surely you're in a position to ask for an extension to the deadline!

Thanks Skorp, it's nice to know we're being listened too, I'm trying hard not to be ranty, but it really is a feature that has annoyed me from announcement onwards.

Pfft, surely you're in a position to ask for an extension to the deadline!

Feedback on brand new modules is always invaluable, even if it is slightly ranty it gives us an idea of opinion (although we also understand people are more likely to complain than praise; especially on these forums! :)).

Also, if you have any ideas that you feel would make them improvements you know you can post them and they'll get looked at.

You forget I am lowly QA - the lowest of the low! I'm barely in a position to clean up chewing gum from under the tables. :D

One of the most annoying new features implemented into the series ever. After the first 3/4 I did in my first save its been set to have my assistant to attend them all.

The option to turn it off completely would be excellent as it then wouldnt have an effect on your team morale when the Assistant says something that the players dont agree with.

I think this feature is impossible to implement while capturing the complexity of real life situations. Its destined to be repetitive so I think there should be the option of turning of press conferences and team talks until programmers have the computing power and code to do them justice.

I think this feature is impossible to implement while capturing the complexity of real life situations.

This is what we have to work around. Sadly, since computers are utterly rubbish at understanding English (and other real languages) there is no way of giving people complete control like a manager would in real life, and therefore a different approach is needed.

Also, if you have any ideas that you feel would make them improvements you know you can post them and they'll get looked at.

It's difficult to post feasible ideas without knowing the limitations of the system, and as much as I'd love to post lots of suggestions, it's a lot of effort if it's not possible!

Variety in the way the questions are asked

The wording of the questions as opposed to the questions themself, maybe assign different levels of profesionalism/arrogance/annoyance depending on the journalist who asks them and change the wording appropriately. There should be a minimum of 3 ways each question is worded.

Variety in the types of question asked

Sure, some of the questions are repetitive in real life, but there is a thin line between fun and playability against real life. In a press conference in game I would expect 5 out of 10 questions to be the same old same standard questions and 5 more that would be situational.

Variety in questions themself

More, more, more! Obviously there are time constraints around how many can be implemented - maybe open it up to the public or make it extremely easy to add your own ones in and get community help but there really has to be more questions.

Situational/Relevant questions

This is where understanding how it's coded makes it difficult to recommend a system. But I'd like to see questions that link more to how my team is playing at the moment, who I have injured and the impact on the team, how the opposition is playing/has played, squad morale, squad discipline, tactical changes, new signings

Frequency of Press Conferences

Needs to be added for big new signings and the ability to call your own press conference for (drop down list of reasons) and then questions relevant to that. Also before and after every game (whilst realistic) takes a lot of fun out of the game. A LOT of fun.

It's difficult to post feasible ideas without knowing the limitations of the system, and as much as I'd love to post lots of suggestions, it's a lot of effort if it's not possible!

Variety in the way the questions are asked & Variety in questions themself

Due to time constraints I highly doubt both will be possible. What do you consider more important? For me, variety in questions themselves is far more important than varety in the way the questions are asked as question variety will cut down on repetition, whereas variety in style has the repetition just without a direct cosmetic match. Also consider translations here - each question having 3 different styles means every question has 3 types, effectively tripling the work for our translators for each question.

Variety in the types of question asked & Situational/Relevant questions

I agree this is an area that can be expanded upon. There's a fair bit in there already it's just a case of finding examples of legitimate questions that relate to the game. The only potential stumbling block here is what information is made 'available' to the press conferences themselves (i.e. what the game is capable of establishing has/is/is going to happen).

Frequency of Press Conferences

These are being looked at, and the press conferences don't occur before/after every game anyway.

Due to time constraints I highly doubt both will be possible. What do you consider more important? For me, variety in questions themselves is far more important than varety in the way the questions are asked as question variety will cut down on repetition, whereas variety in style has the repetition just without a direct cosmetic match. Also consider translations here - each question having 3 different styles means every question has 3 types, effectively tripling the work for our translators for each question.

Whilst it's obviously not your call, this just comes across as cutting corners, my view is if you're going to implement it, do it fully - rather than a half-job because of lack of time/resource. It's a judgement call that I strongly feel is the wrong one. Realistically, press conference questions are not always the same and it takes away a lot of the immersive realism by having the same block of text with the same answers. Whilst I appreciate the "triple the effort" problem, it's still what my level of expectation is - if you don't meet it, then fine that's your call but I will remain disappointed.

I agree this is an area that can be expanded upon. There's a fair bit in there already it's just a case of finding examples of legitimate questions that relate to the game. The only potential stumbling block here is what information is made 'available' to the press conferences themselves (i.e. what the game is capable of establishing has/is/is going to happen)

Yeah there are some instances of this, but given the amount of information that exists in the game there aren't a lot - the questions (and the answers you give) need to feel more personally attached to the situation you are in. Players and Team form would be the biggest basis for this change.

These are being looked at, and the press conferences don't occur before/after every game anyway.

Whilst I don't have numbers to hand, in my current Man City save I'm 99% sure there is at least one press conference (either pre or post) attached to every competitive game I've played. And given the repetitive nature of the questions it's too much to bare.

I would like to have questions and responses that actually make sense. Often you get a question like "what are you views on such and such" and the answers will be things like "I agree with that."

What does that mean? Agree with what?

If SI are really struggling to add variety due to time constraints, they could hire me to come up with a list of questions and possible answers. Surely now that the press conferences are in the game, it should only take a small amount of coding to add more questions and answers to it (though I may be completely wrong about that).

There is not one press conference every match.

Press conferences questions are calculated and stored and called when there are enough questions to generate a conference. If you are experiencing a lot of conferences it's because the game is picking up on a lot of the stuff you are doing as a manager.

I've gone several matches without a conference before.

I would like to have questions and responses that actually make sense. Often you get a question like "what are you views on such and such" and the answers will be things like "I agree with that."

What does that mean? Agree with what?

If SI are really struggling to add variety due to time constraints, they could hire me to come up with a list of questions and possible answers. Surely now that the press conferences are in the game, it should only take a small amount of coding to add more questions and answers to it (though I may be completely wrong about that).

It is not the questions themselves that take time to write. It's the coding and translation that take the longest time. You could write a million questions but there'd never be time to code them in.

It is not the questions themselves that take time to write. It's the coding and translation that take the longest time. You could write a million questions but there'd never be time to code them in.

I see. I was assuming that you just had to plug the questions and answers in now that there was already a press conference module. A bit like adding a player to the database.

I'm sure that a lot of hard work has gone into implementing the press conferences.

Unfortunately, given the results, this hard work has not resulted in a feature which is a positive asset but, instead, we have ended up with a repetitive chore.

If the time and effort spent on this unsatisfactory feature had been devoted to ironing out some of the plethora of faults with the ME it would have been better IMO.

If the time and effort spent on this unsatisfactory feature had been devoted to ironing out some of the plethora of faults with the ME it would have been better IMO.

People need to realise that work on one area of a game does not affect the other. We have a media and news team, and they code media and news. We have a match engine team that do match engine. So if we didn't do press conferences, the ME wouldn't be any better for it.

Were the press conference team twiddling their thumbs before the decision to implement it? Surely resource is transferrable between teams based on resource, capacity and skillsets.

Would they all be fired if there was a sizeable petition saying "get rid of press conferences, develop another area more"?

I find this a very suprising glance into the SI world to be honest...

Were the press conference team twiddling their thumbs before the decision to implement it? Surely resource is transferrable between teams based on resource, capacity and skillsets.

Would they all be fired if there was a sizeable petition saying "get rid of press conferences, develop another area more"?

I find this a very suprising glance into the SI world to be honest...

No, no-one twiddles their thumbs. Work cycle goes like this:

Initial Game Coding -> Release -> Patch fixing -> Initial game coding.

So before it was decided to be implemented, we were supporting FM08, and the media team were fixing issues there. As soon as features are decided upon for the new version work begins on them (coupled with patch bug fixing if there is a small overlap).

If such a petition existed, they would not get fired, they would work on other areas (if SI deemed to agree with the petition).

I don't understand why this is surprising: this is how all games developers work. People specialise in their relevant areas. You get modellers doing the modelling, but they're not going to be coding the physics engine are they?

The real question is.

Will the feature be fun when it has millions of variations and results and you can say what you want and your opinion is really reflected in the game.

When the feature is at that level will it be fun?

My opinion is no matter what Press Conferences will always be repetitive and will only slow down the game as you are forced to interact with it.

And that makes the feature not fun.

Realistic, but not fun.

Sometimes realism is not the way to go and my vote would go for leaving the feature out of the next version or give us a option to turn it of.

i'd like to turn off the press conferences, maybe in fm11 when they're fleshed out properly but when your assistant manager says your rivals are going to win the league, then its time it should be looked at.

even the worst assman in the world wouldnt say that your league rivals will win, so why does it here? oh yeah, upload a save and the team will look into it blah blah..

because the same sorts of errors seem to pop up every year, game gets released, hurried patch to release a glaring bug, public wonder why the testing "team" hadnt seen it so might i suggest an additional few steps in this process for fm10 and beyond..

Initial Game Coding -> hire testers who can find simple bugs, the ones which the public notice within a day of release -> test it -> test it some more -> test it even more -> game still buggy as hell, more testing -> game now fixed, test it some more -> Release -> Patch fixing -> Initial game coding.

At least FM's press conferences have some basis in reality!

Back to the original point, sending the assistant should be near enough the equivalent of skipping the press conference, whereby he only selects answers that get no reaction. At the very least, we should eb able to tell him what sort of stance to take (e.g. always say we have a good chance, always 'no comment' player questions).

This suggestion gets my vote. I would like to see sending your assistant result in neither a positive or negative reaction from your squad. I would rather not be bothered by press conferences but I can not trust my assistant to not screw things up.

There's been light suggestions in the past of having it so that people submit press conference items to get as big a range as possible. I realise it may not be compatible for the current system but is that something that will be looked at, and if not, shouldn't it be?

Speaking blindly as I don't know how the current data is stored or dealt with by the game, surely it wouldn't be *that* hard to engineer the system to take into account certain variables specified by each individual news item, allowing people to create their own and their own answers? Ie, the question is, the answer is and the likelihood of affecting this attribute of a team member is x. I do similar things in MMORPG engines where I code everything dynamically so that what happens is defined by what is put into the database, so this action affects x data in x table of x belonging to x which allows the person I'm building the engine for to develop the game themselves without having to learn anything about coding or anything else - obviously the key elements of a game are hardcoded to have better effect and I'm not suggesting any different - the fluid (Well, in effect, less fluid) system could be implemented solely for news items added to the game by the user.

While there's no way they could work as well as the main pc system as effects would have a very limited range could this not be considered for community addon packs so gamers can add their own questions that may well be less effective than those in game and a bit robotic in the way they work but spice up the press conferences a little all the same?

It does seem that people are more bothered about the variety than the actual effects and I'd think it's possible(?) for something like that to be implemented without removing the effectiveness of the games original press conference data. Any thoughts?

I honestly can see little point in press conferences at all. It seems to me that a disproportionate amount of effort and ingenuity would be needed to make any improvements on the current ones. Substituting one boringly repetitive set of questions for another will be the most likely outcome. To what purpose?

I don't believe that, as they stand, press conferences do anything to increase the fun factor in the game at all, indeed, I feel that they do the reverse. They were a bad idea and have been implemented badly IMO. Get rid of them for the next edition, please!

I honestly can see little point in press conferences at all. It seems to me that a disproportionate amount of effort and ingenuity would be needed to make any improvements on the current ones.

Exactly what takes me back to my original point, they either need a major overhaul (and through subsequent conversations with Skorp - lots of manhours) or they need to go, at the very least there needs to be an option to turn them off or have the assistant just answer "no comment" to everything.

I'm not hopeful though, as every SI staff member in the past 4 months has defended the feature very strongly, so they obviously think there is nothing wrong and it's a good inclusion.

As I've said before, I've not seen many (if any) positive responses from anyone regarding the press conferences that have played the game for any decent amount of time.

Exactly what takes me back to my original point, they either need a major overhaul (and through subsequent conversations with Skorp - lots of manhours) or they need to go, at the very least there needs to be an option to turn them off or have the assistant just answer "no comment" to everything.

I'm not hopeful though, as every SI staff member in the past 4 months has defended the feature very strongly, so they obviously think there is nothing wrong and it's a good inclusion.

As I've said before, I've not seen many (if any) positive responses from anyone regarding the press conferences that have played the game for any decent amount of time.

I believe that this is symptomatic of a divide between SI and some of its current (and possible future customers).

PaulC has made it very clear that he regards the 'realism' of FM as paramount. The quest for ever greater realism will not cease while he has anything to do with the game. There have been threads where the feeling has been expressed that this has led to a lack of fun - in other words that FM suffers AS A GAME because of this. Some people feel that the game is unresponsive to player input, has too many features which impinge on matches unduly and does not provide a good game playing experience because of the apparent randomness and a feeling that one has no control. The stock answer is that FM is 'realistic' and that this is shown by the final league tables, which doesn't, unfortunately, satisfy those of us who feel the way we do.

As far as SI are concerned, press conferences are part of that 'realism'. So the fact that a lot of us think they are a complete waste of time and obstacles to enjoyment won't cut much ice with them. They are trying for a realistic immersion in the world of football management so conferences will have to stay. The fact that they are boringly repetitive won't matter to them.

FM has been a great success in terms of sales. I firmly believe that a lack of competition has played a big part in this. It's really been the only choice for a while now. But looked at outside that context it honestly isn't very good. A bad ME, clumsy tactical interface and poorly designed features like these press conferences don't make for a great game.

I doubt that we will see any changes. SI will continue to go down the realism route. I hope that the new CM will provide more fun than this, even if it's less 'realistic'.

I wouldn't mind if it felt realistic, but because of the constraints around how much time it takes to add content to it, it isn't at all.

Multiple choice questions with the same 5 answers are not realistic, if you're going to implement a feature because it's part of the real life manager experience, don't do it half-arsed. Imagine if they wanted a realistic match engine but didn't have the time or resource to build it into what it is now so just had 5 different results for every match.

Realism vs Gameplay has been done in another thread though, so to stop goign off-topic I'll find it and post in there more.

I really don't understand what this fuss is about. (So I guess I will never be able to run a company successfully!) If people do not like press conferences, they can choose to not answer the questions, isn't that right? What is the point of asking for the feature to be optional, it already is.

Maybe I don't remember well and at least one question has to be answered in order to be able to exit the conference. If this is the case, I agree that this constraint is not needed. But I don't see any reason that press conferences are turned off, we should just have a quick way to automatically produce an absolutely neutral one.

Other than that, I like the feature and I use it. It's not 100% satisfactory yet (because of repetition and poor feedback, surely not all my players are inspired by the same question!), but it has a lot of potential.

Archived