FM10 Suggestion: Tactical Tutoring, the Fun Way

I was thinking last night about the many many threads of frustration from players who are having difficulty understanding what their tactical choices are doing on the pitch, and I came up with this idea:

Lets have a commentary option where the commentary and/or window-in-a-window follows any particular player during the match.

I'll show you what I mean:

1. Keep a set of commentary going on a particular player. I've picked Xavi, so perhaps while the main commentary says what it does, a widget could be giving Xavi's commentary.

xavi1nw8.jpg

Xavi's might say here: "Xavi makes a central run to open up the right flank for Alves or Hleb"

A more detailed view might even say: "Xavi makes a forward run (set to often) through the middle (passing is not 'down the wings') agressively (the team is generally more attacking than defensive)"

2. Commentary: "Xavi moves forward to cut off the central passing lane"

Detail: "Xavi is loosely marking his man, pressing the team back by limiting options through the middle. Medium closing down, loose marking, and a medium defensive line put him in this position. High positioning stats and decisions attributes enable Xavi to anticipate the possible pass and cut it off"

xavi2ww6.jpg

3. xavi3zg8.jpg

"Xavi leaves his marker to close down Gurpegi in tandem with Iniesta. Toure drops deep to cover the hole left by Xavi"

This way we can watch the decisions made by our players one at a time and perhaps learn better the effects our tactics are having on the match. I thought of this because most of the mechanics are already in the game: Commentary, special cameras, widgets. The commentary might be expanded to give the details as I've done in the example above, but even a simple commentary focused on a single player would probably illuminate the game's mechanics quite well. What do you think?

The other inspiration for this idea comes from the Zidane movie which tracks the player for a whole 90 minutes.

good idea as an option. though real commentaries never goes this detail.

The idea isn't to provide 'color commentary' for a more TV feel, but to perhaps provide the kind of commentary an astute observer would make if following a particular player throughout the game. Imagine a scout or assistant manager scrutinizing both the tactic and the performance of a player.

Archived