Regen quality

Is it too easy to find and get world-class regens?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Is it too easy to find and get world-class regens?

• Yes - and after a few years it is too easy to have a young world-class squad mainly with regens.
    • No - There are not too many and the really good ones are hard to get.
    • Undecided

FM 09's regens are on average, alot better than FM08's regens. The regen problem in 08 spoilt long career games as real players played for a long time - even though their attributes declined quickly. There is no denying that there were problems with regens in 08, but when you found a wonderkid regen it was rare and had a special feeling to it. Now in 09, there are many world class regens (im not saying there are too many though)- but do you think there are too many world class regens?

I do feel that there are too many regens.I used Genie to check the average ratings of every team in 2025,and well,most of the regens and team average was above 150(PA),whereas a team has 140 PA at the start of the game

I do not mind it,I just say,that quality in football has improved a lot.Make beleive you see

I do feel that there are too many regens.I used Genie to check the average ratings of every team in 2025,and well,most of the regens and team average was above 150(PA),whereas a team has 140 PA at the start of the game

I do not mind it,I just say,that quality in football has improved a lot.Make beleive you see

I'm at West Ham and in my third season and have a number of promising youth players. I think the balance has probably shifted the right way because, given West Ham's good record of bringing on young players of top quality, this is fair. In other versions I think I produced 1 really good player in about 40-50 seasons of playing across different versions of FM.

I'll let you know in a few years of game time!

I think it is too easy to get great regens on 9.2. That is mainly because I can just about sign almost any one I want on a free transfer, or for very little money (under £100k). Now if that gets fixed and I have to pay £1m or more for a good regen then that would make the game better for me.

One thing I have had major trouble with is finding good keeper regens. There are too few keepers generated and they rarely develop into anything special on any of my games.

After 4 years I still havent seen any regen in the first team of an EPL, Serie A or Liga BBVA club and still havent seen any wonderkid.

Maybe Ill use the Genie Scout to see if there is any regen that Im not aware but I have 26 scouts and Ive scouted most U18/Reserve squads and still nothing ;)

There are 3-4 players that have a 5 star potential but their clubs want 6-10 mil for them.

The only issue i have with regens is that GKs are still not up to the standard of non-regen keepers, while they are to some degree better than last years woeful effort, the physical stats are still well below the standard i would expect.

There are obviously exceptions (i'm happy to have found one for my team :D ) but in general their are still far too few agile/jumpy GKs.

I think the balance is right.

The only reason it seems easier is because they start young, so you're given time to sign them before they become expensive superstars. Basically, it's like finding Kaka, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Messi, etc when they are 16/17.

Maybe the real problem is that it's too easy to find the amazing players, or that they're easy to sign due to the lack of AI competition. If SI improved the AI's scouting ability that would probably solve the issue. I've only ever lost out on about 3 regens to other clubs, and I'm in 2020.

I think the balance is right.

The only reason it seems easier is because they start young, so you're given time to sign them before they become expensive superstars. Basically, it's like finding Kaka, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Messi, etc when they are 16/17.

Maybe the real problem is that it's too easy to find the amazing players, or that they're easy to sign due to the lack of AI competition. If SI improved the AI's scouting ability that would probably solve the issue. I've only ever lost out on about 3 regens to other clubs, and I'm in 2020.

So, the problem is not the amount of regens and the quality of those, the problem is how easy we spot them (based on scouts reports, I suppose). This take us, again, to how realistic is PA. The scouts on FM ca read a value that doesn't exist in real life.

I personally find it hard to find the really good regens. I always find players who have a high potential, but who need a lot of training before they can reach it. The ones who are already really good at a young age are always €10 million to buy. And that's a lot for a small club in a minor division.

I think its about right in fm 09. I am in my tenth season, having returned home to Switzerland from a glittering career managing Lazio in Italy and Manchester Utd to three consecutive titles in EPL. In all that time, I have not had a single regen as good as this guy:

02022009175530rc2.jpg

I've had lots of potentially good players, and two or three world class possibles but they never matured into anything much.

This guy though, he's going all the way I reckon .. :D:thup:

I don't think its too bad although it is too easy to get good regens for free from the big clubs because of the bojan bug.

In my Cesena game, i missed out on signing a great regen to Liverpool, fair enough, but after 2 years I am going to get him on a free.

I don't think its too bad although it is too easy to get good regens for free from the big clubs because of the bojan bug.

In my Cesena game, i missed out on signing a great regen to Liverpool, fair enough, but after 2 years I am going to get him on a free.

This is certainly an issue, but it does help re-distribute some of the wealth in the game as these players inevitably mature and get snapped up by a big club again. The money changing hands allows the weaker clubs to buy better players and keep in touch. Inadvertedly it does help!

I have read around here that a few people think that FM 09's regen problems are as bad as FM 08's. Now I can just about understand that - I mean having too many good regens and too many bad regens can spoil long term games. But , as I didnt really get very far in 08 either, what was the actual problems with FM 08's regens? And how did it effect long career games?

Im happy with the regens in FM09, I have two great midfielders and two fullbacks that make the first team, now a Centre back. Im in 2012 and the regens are looking good.

In my test game using a third party editor to view CA and PA i have found that there are quite alot of regens with good PA but its all whether they can make it to that PA. Its alot harder for regens to get to the PA as they can burn out or not have enough games to develop. I have found about 10 wonderkids so far, under 20 with CA of around 150/160, PA varies 170 onwards.

The regens in '09 are so much better than they were in '08. I'd rather have the odd wonderkid coming through the ranks than be left with what you had after a long carrer in '08.

There are some things I don't like about FM09, but the regens isn't one of them.

Some regens really are too good.

I'm two years in and already there are several regens with higher PA than the likes of Messi.

PA > 190 should be much less likely (maybe 1 player/year)

PA means nothing.

When you consider the players in the past who have been considered to be the next world star - cherno samba, sonny pike etc etc who never properly made it.

There probably are kids now, who potentially could be better than messi, yet they won't get the training or support needed to ever, anywhere near, fulfil their potential.

I'm two years in and already there are several regens with higher PA than the likes of Messi.

PA means nothing.

I agree with AnfieldRoad10. PA means nothing if the player has stats in the wrong areas. I bought a keeper with 198 PA and he is worse then the 170 PA keeper I was trying to replace. He had his physical stats in totally the wrong areas and no amount of training was able to sort them out. So he was in technical areas almost the equal of the best keepers that start the game but physically and mentally couldn't cut it at a top club. A winger with really bad crossing isn't a great winger, and a CB who can't jump/head is uselesss as well no matter what their PA.

As others have said, there's nothing wrong with having a fair few youngsters generated every year who have high potential. The problems only arise if all of these youngsters actually reach that potential.

Thats what I have enjoyed more in this FM than others. Is that it comes down to their stats not their CA/PA. A centre back with a CA of 165 could be alot better than one with 176, just due to where his stats are, he might have higher tackling, positioning and jumping, but the one with the higher CA might have high finishing and dribbling which they dont really need. Means theres more choice instead of going for that one regen with massive CA/PA.

The only issue i have with regens is that GKs are still not up to the standard of non-regen keepers, while they are to some degree better than last years woeful effort, the physical stats are still well below the standard i would expect.

There are obviously exceptions (i'm happy to have found one for my team :D ) but in general their are still far too few agile/jumpy GKs.

Think i must have got lucky then when this fella arrived in my youth team after 1st season!

JohnWilkins.png

I think many people are kind of confused regarding the regens.

First of a high PA does mean NOTHING, yes NOTHING at all.

Yes there are many regens with very high PA( 180+) but most of them don't compare to the real life players statwise.

People load up Genie and see 20 regens with ridiculous PA and immediately sign up on the forum bitching, now look closely on your regens again.

Most regens have atleast one major flaw, maybe a Defender who cannot Jump,a Striker who has low Passing/off the ball,a midfielder with 18 creativity but 6 decisions, or simply a low PA.

Sometimes you have a regen with great stats, but awful hidden stats and of course he's one footed, so don't overrate them please.

As far as I can tell the regens are very good this time, they're acutally useful and people aren't used to see regens who actually........can become as good as Database players.

But then again I have never seen a regen defender who is as complete as John Terry, never seen a Regen as good as Messi or now in my game Bojan (who has the highest PA possible).

Now you may disagree with me and show me pictures of your regens with better stats, but don't forget Messi,Bojan,Kaka,Benzema and everyone else are 2 FOOTED(!) and have amazing stats, most regens even the great prospects don't even compare too that+ all of them have very good mental stats and consistancy.

Do you see every season a regen keeper pop up who could not CA wise but statwise be as good as Buffon or Cech?

I haven't seen one yet, and most certainly not every season.

And it's ok and realistic if after 2-5 seasons some regens pop up who could become as good as they are, that's the whole point of it, but most aren't.

I use Genie scout and in my game there are a lot of great looking highish PA players, but most of them can only use 1 foot.

Been checking the regens closely since 08 (played about 20 seasons) and the regens in 09 still need to be worked on, especially regarding their second foot, otherwise there're useful for the first time.

Archived