A message of hope for those who struggle with tactics

I thought I would, as the title, suggests give this message of hope.

I have just completed my 2nd season as arsenal boss, and it took me until christmas on first season to adjust my tactics perfectly, straight from scratch. Went to 14th in the league, finally finished 6th and lost the champions league final. But my persistence paid off and I have won the league in my 2nd season, overhauling liverpools 13 point lead with 6 games to go, to win the league by 5 points, playing liverpool on a wednesday night after everyone else had played. I even had a period where literally played 3 games in 4 days. i played on the thursday, friday, and sunday.

Went out of UEFA Cup in Semis despite dominating both legs, and overall my side has become brilliant without major changes.

Its just to say it is worth putting the time in to getting tactics right, jsut altering 1 thing at a time, and reading wwfan's tactical theroems and frameworks. Keep at it, and hope you all get it right in the end!

The problem is that plenty of people just want to pick the game up and not have to put hours of work into tactics to get their team to play the way they want, and I can see where they're coming from.

If we're giving people hope, then I too feel as if I've gotten to grips with things. I am currently 3rd in the BSP in December with Kidderminster, having lost only once. On no less than five occasions, I've been losing at half-time and then gone on to win.

HuwFlet got Southport promoted to the BSP and, despite being expected to struggle, seems to have them in 2nd place if I have understood his signature correctly.

It is possible to be successful on FM09. It just takes a little time, effort and thought.

That said, there's absolutely NOTHING you can do about goalkeepers standing with the ball at their feet until someone from the opposition takes it off them and scores or your players thumping the ball into the back of each others feet!

I dont get why everyone is complaining about the tactics. I would consider myself a casual gamer and have won 4 out of 5 last seasons spl with rangers using just one of the pre set tactics that come with the game. i know not the hardest league to win with rangers but still. The only thing I ever change slightly is the defensive line depending on the match I am playing.

I had got my team a successful tactic for my Blyth team for each season and it paid off.

Season one - won BSN

Season two - lost in the Playoff final

Season three - Won the playoff final

Season four - won league two

I am currently in league 2 at the minute and find that my winning tactics don't cut it and keep needing to make changes every 8 - 10 games or so.

** sorry guys i meant league two :)

I dont get why everyone is complaining about the tactics. I would consider myself a casual gamer and have won 4 out of 5 last seasons spl with rangers using just one of the pre set tactics that come with the game. i know not the hardest league to win with rangers but still. The only thing I ever change slightly is the defensive line depending on the match I am playing.

With rangers though.. fair play to you but its not the hardest thing to do is it :)

I had got my team a successful tactic for my Blyth team for each season and it paid off.

Season one - won BSN

Season two - lost in the Playoff final

Season three - Won the playoff final

Season four - won league one

I am currently in league 2 at the minute and find that my winning tactics don't cut it and keep needing to make changes every 8 - 10 games or so.

How are you in League Two after winning League One? In fact, how did you get to League One directly from the BSP?!

haha, yeah i think it would be nice to for SI to release like a beginner mode to fm10 that gives some tweaked tactics for those who dont want to spent ages developing them, so they have it a bit easier, but cant score hall of fame points etc and its marked on screenshots

haha, yeah i think it would be nice to for SI to release like a beginner mode to fm10 that gives some tweaked tactics for those who dont want to spent ages developing them, so they have it a bit easier, but cant score hall of fame points etc and its marked on screenshots

I don't think a beginner mode is necessary. Look at FM07. Tactics were much easier to get your head around back then. It's just a matter of making it feel less like guesswork.

Im not a fan of this idea personally. The game should be the same for everyone, what would happen if you did well at the "beginner" version and wanted to buy the full version? Would you have to pay again or get a free upgrade?

Its enough of a challenge for SI to release on version with enough new features without the need for a beginner version as well.

Its just to say it is worth putting the time in to getting tactics right, jsut altering 1 thing at a time, and reading wwfan's tactical theroems and frameworks. Keep at it, and hope you all get it right in the end!

Could I get a link ot that...

I've got a 'decent' tactic at the moment but there is definite room for improvement

Spot on. I have been saying that lots of times recently and people just seem to ignore it. :thup:

With rangers though.. fair play to you but its not the hardest thing to do is it :)

He still achieved what was expected with the default tactics.

The default tactics are good enough though as seen above. A beginner mode is not really necessary.

Could I get a link ot that...

I've got a 'decent' tactic at the moment but there is definite room for improvement

http://www.community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=61144

Take a standard tactic you like.

Use the "Set to" feature to make the changes you want. (Sett fullbacks to wing backs, one central midfielder to attacking, the other to defensive etc)

Adjust the mentality on everyone to avoid the gaps that the assman nags about.

Profit.

The above never fails me at least.

I use the same two tactics in every game I play, with some adjustments depending on the players I have. Adjust team, and individual mentalities that suits your player's strength. Give it a few games for your players to gel. That's really it for me...

Archived