Id say real managers use fm for scouting

I mean just an example of how realistic it is, my mate plays for a second division Irish football team, and is a pretty average footballer apart from a weapon of a left foot when taking set pieces, sure enough i loaded up the Irish league and his states were awful, apart from freekicks which was 19!

He defied logic when he signed Cahill though. Cahill was a low CA/PA player when Moyes signed him. Nothing can beats a good eye and instinct.

I think most top managers with their extensive scouting system usually know about them hot prospects anyway.

It's been discussed quite a few times before IIRC and I remember the Moyes thing coming up before, I think Everton bought the rights to be able to use the database for helping to unearth future talent, or something along those lines.

I don't like the man, but credit where it's due, Wenger has been picking up virtually unheard of players and turning them world class for years, so I doubt he even cares about FM's database, he seems to have a pretty decent eye for talent all on his lonesome

I don't like the man, but credit where it's due, Wenger has been picking up virtually unheard of players and turning them world class for years, so I doubt he even cares about FM's database, he seems to have a pretty decent eye for talent all on his lonesome

Yeah he does, but is a very poor judge of player once he actually gets a hold of them. Wilson Palacios 14 million. Lassana Diarra, 20 million, both passed up by Wenger

If done logically it wouldn't be a bad idea. For example you find a player who's good on FM, then send the real life scouts to see the player.

Well yeah of course. It's hardly likely that a top manager would find a hidden gem in the game and then just go and sign him IRL simply because he is good in a computer game.

It dont seem practical enough.

After a data base update the players ingame stop beeing relevant to their r/l counterparts. form, injuries and skills and players mental state can change alot from the time of the last collected game data. So a bum 14 year old player can possibly have a great few months in r/l and improve to be a player with great potential way before a new game patch with his updated skills becomes available or vise versa.

If I was a manager of a half decent team, I would use the database as a scouting instrument, of course I wouldn't follow it blindly, but as a starting point it sure can be very useful.

And maybe after scouting them for real I even sign 1 or 2 of those cheap youngsters with high PA that sometimes turn into wonderkids.

Now if only Barcelona would release Bojan... :p

I'm pretty sure some managers also use Youtube as a scouting tool.

In my country KV Kortrijk bought a dutch striker by seeing him on youtube.

And didn't Man Utd not so long ago attracted a 12-14 year old Aussie by watching him on Youtube?

I'm pretty sure some managers also use Youtube as a scouting tool.

In my country KV Kortrijk bought a dutch striker by seeing him on youtube.

And didn't Man Utd not so long ago attracted a 12-14 year old Aussie by watching him on Youtube?

His grandfather sent Man Utd the tape and bought his family a house to settle in IIRC! Can't wait to see him in the green and gold (as long as the little bugger doesn't decide to play for England). Google just told me Rhain Davis is his name

And I also think Ernie Merrick, Melbourne Victory manager, signed Carlos Hernandez largely based on his stunning long shots on Youtube.

Surely Wenger plays FM?

None of Wenger's signings have been any good on FM. Same for Bruce, except Valencia, and he was playing well at the World Cup- hardly signs of an FM signing.

Sven and Mark Hughes, though:

Corluka, Bianchi, Boijnov, Jo, Kompany, Elano, De Jong. All quite possibly FM signings.

Anyone heard the story that football manager made Sherman Cardenas too good and gave him too much hype?

Well, he was good, but he wasn't world class, and he didn't get loaded unless you loaded all players from Columbia. In any case, that's not exactly a story. FM researcher over-rates player- gosh, that never happens and has such severe implications.

Well, he was good, but he wasn't world class, and he didn't get loaded unless you loaded all players from Columbia. In any case, that's not exactly a story. FM researcher over-rates player- gosh, that never happens and has such severe implications.

Yeah and his agent came out and had a go at FM about it saying it stalled his career. It is an awful excuse but i read an article about it saying the hype caused by FM 07 and 08 caused too much publicity.

And before you act stuck up and arrogant you didn't need all Colombians as I have NEVER loaded all and i've signed him many times.

Bolton and Gary Megson do use it

I mean,Fabrice Muamba,Mustapha Riga,Johan Elmander and Sebastien Puygrenier all have(or had in the past 2 versions) 160 + PA's and are at Bolton.Manchester City too,seem to have some signings whicg can be classified in this category

Yeah and his agent came out and had a go at FM about it saying it stalled his career. It is an awful excuse but i read an article about it saying the hype caused by FM 07 and 08 caused too much publicity.

And before you act stuck up and arrogant you didn't need all Colombians as I have NEVER loaded all and i've signed him many times.

Large db then, and even then it's down to chance. Or Colombian leagues.

Archived