Is SI getting to Smug and Complacent?

Its the start of footie training camp in Germany today and England tomorrow and still not even an announcement from SI about FM 2009. Its as if management are so certain that their product will sell, they have stopped feeling the need to market to the community.

Originally posted by Bababui:

I hope thegame is out before November,,,fingers crossed. They could at least fill the community in on which direction they are taking the game.

I'm not sure what you mean, surely that's just the same as telling us what's going to be in the game.

Originally posted by DaveRH:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bababui:

And the problem with that would be...????

They'll release information when they're good and ready to do so.

Just because they haven't doesn't make them "smug and complacent". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or does it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaveRH:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bababui:

And the problem with that would be...????

They'll release information when they're good and ready to do so.

Just because they haven't doesn't make them "smug and complacent". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or does it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

explain how releasing the game at the same time (octoberish) each year, ensuring that is is as accurate as possible is smug and complacent. fm08 must have been your first FM game if you don't know the drill.

Or does it?

Lol, well personally I don't think it does. I think they don't want to let any ideas known until close to release date so as other games can't nick it, because they will be releasing around the same time.

Originally posted by Nomis07:

Or does it?

Lol, well personally I don't think it does. I think they don't want to let any ideas known until close to release date so as other games can't nick it, because they will be releasing around the same time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get that part thus instead of saying for example we will be improving scouting by adding X and Y and by modifying Z; it might be nice to say something general like a scouting overhaul is on the way.

Its a nice crumb to throw to a loyal community and helps build excitement for the new game IMO.

I get that part thus instead of saying for example we will be improving scouting by adding X and Y and by modifying Z; it might be nice to say something general like a scouting overhaul is on the way.

Its a nice crumb to throw to a loyal community and helps build excitement for the new game IMO.

a) The last thing that the community needs is to get excited. It always ends in tears and a telling off.

b) Patience is a virtue. SI very well may not have settled on a final feature list yet and they (sensibly) do not release information until they know that they are at least very likely to be able to deliver.

How annoyed would people get if SI released details on new features now, and then didn't deliver them in the Winter?

Originally posted by DaveRH:

How annoyed would people get if SI released details on new features now, and then didn't deliver them in the Winter?

That's what I thought, but a lot of people have been saying it looks like the game is already finished so I wasn't sure if it was possible. You're right though, I don't want to be told "interaction is getting a major overhaul" and then come release date "well we were going to, but other things took precedence and it would have taken too long to implement".

• SI Staff

We've stated many times before that we won't be revealing any details on Football Manager 2009 until later in the Summer.

Nothing smug or complacent about that.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by andyinuk:

no point in marketing a new product too early. The game wont be out for another 4 or 5 months yet

Agreed

No where near a release date, the football season is million miles away. I want the summer to prolong and get used to the sun before talk of winter nights indoors playing FM 2009. icon_biggrin.gif

SI employees regularly keep in touch with forum users, they read feedback, threads and comment back.

Its the start of footie training camp in Germany today and England tomorrow and still not even an announcement from SI about FM 2009. Its as if management are so certain that their product will sell, they have stopped feeling the need to market to the community.

i think it's kinda presumed that the release date will be november time.

that's a long time to go and things may be added, things may be taken away.

what's the point in telling us about something if they then have to take it out because of whatever reason?

and what not telling us anything yet got to do with them being smug or presuming the game will sell?

if they released the game without telling us anything about it then you may have a point but you will be told all in good time.

Originally posted by Nick:

I didn't really understand the thread title.

Where is Smug and Complacent and how is we getting to it? icon_wink.gif

Wasnt personal. But since 09 is being kept under tighter lock and key then D-Day; and that there are still issues with 08 that, judging by the forums, havent been addressed, wouldnt it be nice to have someone from SI say, for example, about regens, that we are aware of the problem and have addressed it in the next edition?

Originally posted by howdy-doody:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The same loyal community thats been criticizing SI for the last few years?for example,calling them 'smug and complacent'..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that even in Ireland they know a '?' means it was a question rather than an accusation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by howdy-doody:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The same loyal community thats been criticizing SI for the last few years?for example,calling them 'smug and complacent'..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that even in Ireland they know a '?' means it was a question rather than an accusation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the UK a '?' means that it's a headline in the Daily Mail or Daily Express...

(the answer is generally 'no', but people aren't supposed to see that).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

Or does it?

Lol, well personally I don't think it does. I think they don't want to let any ideas known until close to release date so as other games can't nick it, because they will be releasing around the same time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its a nice crumb to throw to a loyal community and helps build excitement for the new game IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be honest I couldn't care less what is going to be in FM09 until it comes out. Having discussions about what we would like to be in it is one thing, but once it is past the point of making those decisions and it is just a case of reporting what wil be in the game I don't care - I'll enjoy playing FM08 until I buy FM09.

Archived