Sell or Not question

I am currently playing a save as Ebbsfleet United, and I signed Landon Donovan on a free in the first season. He scored 29 goals with 23 assists in 31 games as he powered us to the title and into League 2. Now he is captain and again leading us toward promotion to League 1, but Fulham have offered 5.4 Million which is twice his value. Now the accountant in me, ( I am one in real life), is telling me to sell for 5.4 million in profit and invest in young superstars and established veterans. But I am kinda torn because I am worried if I sell him it will cause a downward spiral from which my team cannot recover.

Ultimately I know this is my choice, but would like some feedback from the people on these forums: should I sell Donovan or Keep him?

I was thinking about getting Post. I play a 4-3-3 and my strikers are Celle N'Diaye, Donovan, David Hague, and Luke Moore rotation. All of them are over a 7.00 rating, with Donovan at 8.39 rating. Michael Gash sits way down the pecking order and still has a 7.33 rating. So I have the depth at striker to weather losing Donovan I think, and I really would like to sign Post (he's worth 160k right now). It is just that every player likes Donovan and wants to see me keep him. Does it really hurt a team's chemistry to sell a popular player?

Couldn't find any takers in time for N'diaye, so I sold Donovan for 5.4 million. Signed Post the next day, and I was worried when he was held scoreless in his first few games. But WOW! He went on a tear racking up 25 goals in 21 games and finishing with a 8.35 rating. Great sign and I am on to League 1!

Archived