ROI: 'A' Championship

this league is effectively the 3rd tier if irish football and has a similar structure to the spanish lower leagues ie some reserve teams compete but cannot get promoted

every year there are more senior teams added and i feel like this would be a good league to add to the game

do you think it should be in the game

do you think it should be in in a few years

do you think it should not be in the game

Since I am Irish and often play in the League of Ireland in the game, I would like it but there are many other leagues from other countries that could be added as well.

Slightly off topic but what senior teams are being added this year?

i think the irish leagues are awesome, i just hate that the premier league is the equivalent to the english league 2, i think its a shame, i used to enjoy playing the irish leagues on previous games, but this year i feel its lost its appeal. although one awesome thing is that the current clubs bring through some quality youngsters, and have been awesome english premiership players. I just think that the irish leagues could be more detailed, and being irish i find it tragic the way that my friends that possess this game also, simply overlook the irsh leagues.

I like trying to get the teams to qualify for the Champions League and if only league rep/prize money etc. would improve I would love to try an get the League of Ireland to be as good as possible but with those barriers it is very difficult.

ye i get wierd looks for managing in ireland(my mates wont manage where there is no money)

the regens are great tho

maybe it will improve the quality if we have A championship

yeah also i think from experience that, managing in the irish premier division, you can win with any team you choose, back on fm08, i managed every irish team and found that they werent much different, if your up in the top half of the table, theres a possibility of winning.

i think the main challenge is getting to the group stage of the champions league:p

A feat i am yet to accomplish:(

haha steve thats ambitious

does anyone know if mervue will be in the first division after the patch

ambitious yes, impossible, no

i got to the third qualifying round against some weird forign team and lost on away goals. and its something i really wanna do because it does get boring sometimes competing in the league and domestic cups year in year out. but if i get to the champions leagu group stage it will be awesome. purely for the money. a draw can get you quater of a milllion pounds and if you can cause a few upsets then third spot can quallify you for the uefa cup knockout stages, after that you havnt got much chance, but it will increase the clubs stature in europe and the prize money can get you some better players during the transfer window so you can really compete next season:p

you may think im crazy, i agree

anyone know the answer to my mervue question
For FM08 when you started in 2008 after the patch the correct teams were in the league so I assume it will be likewise this year for FM09.

I would be pretty sure they will be but obviously don't know for certain. You could ask the League of Ireland researcher as they are more likely to know.

i really think the irish national squad majorly underachieve on the game! i always check up on them throughout the season, and to my horror, i discover they are several points off the qualifying spots, and in a group where they should be qualifying no matter what

They almost qualified for the 2010 world cup on my game. They just lost to Sweden in the playoffs.

well in recent years we have just been a shambles, since roy keane retired. but the major thing that upset me:

world cup quater final 2002 ireland against spain

1-1 at full time

went down on penalties

i was only 11 when i watched it but the game has been etched on my mind even today

it goes down as a game which we should have won

well in recent years we have just been a shambles, since roy keane retired. but the major thing that upset me:

world cup quater final 2002 ireland against spain

1-1 at full time

went down on penalties

i was only 11 when i watched it but the game has been etched on my mind even today

it goes down as a game which we should have won

I remember that match well and watching Morientes and Raul in the stands laughing when it went to penalties as they were relieved Ireland did not get a golden goal. And the thing that makes it even worse is Ireland would have had a great chance of reaching the final of the world cup had they won that match. South Korea in the quarter-finals and Germany in the semi-finals and Ireland already drew with Germany in the group so nothing to fear in those matches.

yep, our defensive line was superb that day, spain had about 18 offsides! maybe more maybe a bit less. i think raul was red carded and i was the one laughing! the ref was awesome, i had a distinct feeling decisions were going for our side that day. the penalty loss was shattering. bring back jack charlton

I think Spain finished with 10 men as they had one of their players going of injured when they used all their subs. Spain had about 3 goals disallowed in that match I remember. Yeah Anders Frisk was the ref. He did his best giving Ireland 2 penalties that day. :D

Mick McCarthy was manager not Jack Charlton. ;)

I think Spain finished with 10 men as they had one of their players going of injured when they used all their subs. Spain had about 3 goals disallowed in that match I remember. Yeah Anders Frisk was the ref. He did his best giving Ireland 2 penalties that day. :D

Mick McCarthy was manager not Jack Charlton. ;)

i know that lol, i was just mentioning we should bring him back as manager, 86-96, irelands best international spell ever, and we should get him while we can still qualify lol i know hes old, but hes got a big tactical brain

That is something we disagree on. :)

well thats fair enough, though i hope he gets wolves into the premier league this season, but i assume they will go down should they go up. and anyway roy keane is the new up and coming irish manager who needs a job, though he should not be too strict

To be honest we better stop this conversation in this thread as it is going off topic. :D

Keane still has a bit to learn I think about handling players but he certainly should be a decent manager in the future.

i only went off topic in the first place cos i couldn be bothered to start a new thread, and this current thread is practically irish

• 1 month later...

To answer the standing question...yes, Mervue are available as long as you start in January 2009 instead of January 2008.

I am currently managing Mervue and finished just out of the play-offs in the first season. Fingal are very strong in the 1st Division in 2009. Second place is within reach. I dropped 2 games against bottom feeders late in the season and that sunk my chance.

It was possible to reach the group stage of the Champions League and finish 3rd on FM2008 and FM2007. I have done this multiple times using Cork and Bohemians while fielding exclusively Irish players. On FM2009 I am having a harder time with the 3rd Qualifying Round. It seems like I always get the toughest draw.

It seems counter-intuitive, but once you have Champs League success, your players reputation will go up and stay there, but when the seasons turns over to the next year and your team reputation resets to the League maximum, none of your best players will sign a new contract and they will ask to be transfer listed. I get into a cycle where I can only hang on to my best players for maybe 18 months before I have to sell them on to an EPL club.

Archived