Praising players?

Has anyone done a study into this? Do you have a link?

Basically it annoys the h*ll out of me that players morale drops so often after you've praised them. Bojan has scored 5 in the last 5 so I tell him that I am pleased with his form. He decides he doesn't have to do much to get praise. It's the first time I've praised him, I won't be doing it again.

What's their problem? In real life I'm pretty sure the player would like to know he's appeciated.

i get that too. my player was playing a horrible few games, with average rating of 5.15. i told him i was deeply upset, and he responded well. however i do get that extra "player is unhappy for the negative comments that manager made to press" statement.

i think it depends on personality

i praised 2 of my players with the same option in the interaction screen, one player was delighted with the praise the other felt it wasn't enough and was disappointed at the mediocre praise

How many people don't like being praised when they are doing their job well though?

For example IRL I tell one of my staff he's doing really well, is he going to go home and kick the cat out of frustration, cursing me for giving him more praise than he deserves?

I haven't had too much negative responses from my players... Although i don't just hand them out either.

I base my interactions on thier "past 5 matches" form and depending on the average rating gets thier response...

I used to do it monthly but jsut for the best player and worst player.

Praise does make some people complacent or big headed though.

I tend to use individual praise and criticism sparingly. Most teamtalks are for the team with one or two players who were brilliant/dire singled out.

just look around at your friends or workmates and think how each would react if you told them they were good at something, some will be cocky with it, and some will be humble, almost embarrassed by it, same in FM, look at their personality and some of the stats

Yeah the player personality will effect how much or little praise you should give them. Stantoner is spot on. Just think if you praise a player for having a good run of form, if he's a really good player then he's only doing what he's very much capable of. And if he's fairly big headed then he might lose respect for you because of your low expectations.

I agree with Managements comments about judging it on the last 5 games, and comparing it to average overall rating + how good you think the player should actually be playing is very important.

However, look at the very benefit of praising players. The only in game benefit you get from praising players is a morale boost. There's no point in praising players that already have superb morale.

Archived