Retiring Shirt Numbers

I was just wondering if anyone has seen this feature during any of their long haul games? occured to me last night playing as Roma (their no.6 is retired) that i hadn't seen any in my retired during my games.

So has anyone seen it? and whos number was retired?

New FM 2009 features annnounced

* Retired Squad Numbers - You can retire squad numbers after a number of years a players been at the club but the number was not revealed. Also any squad number retired in real life will be retired in the game ie Man City 23 in memory or Marc Viven Foe and West Ham number 6 for Bobby Moore.

in your face Jimbo and Pedro = ]

New FM 2009 features annnounced

* Retired Squad Numbers - You can retire squad numbers after a number of years a players been at the club but the number was not revealed. Also any squad number retired in real life will be retired in the game ie Man City 23 in memory or Marc Viven Foe and West Ham number 6 for Bobby Moore.

in your face Jimbo and Pedro = ]

Have you retired one yourself? And can you post the link to the page that says about the new features, because i can't find it :(

When exactly do you get the option to require a squad number as I had Balotelli in my United team from age 18-34 with the same number every season. He is listed as an icon of United and when he retired I did not get the option to retire his squad number.

To people who say "its not an important feature".

This is a football management sim. It should have as many possible inclusions in the game, not only for realism sakes, but to make the game a lot more fun to play.

I am seriously sick of how people tell us what is and isnt important, especially the alt tab players who do not want to be emersed in the game.

Football is about passion, fun, and while not so much today, it still was once about loyalty. Hence why I like the number retirement feature.

In addition to this, many people say sounds, graphics and other critical components arent important.

This game while a brilliant simulator, really lacks life. Some people who play Football Manager almost have a sickening "gambling" like addiction to it and only play it for the numbers not for the fun of it, to enjoy it as real life football should be played/enjoyed.

Lets stop this alt/tabbed approach to this game and add/keep fun features and buff up the atmopshere of the game with more chants, more media, more crown/fan specific in game graphics!

The thing is just not something that is done in football apart from extreme circumstances like a player who died at the club, its much more something american sports team do. Just think of all the great number 9's there have been at any top club yet the number does not get retired and the top players that wear that number are still remembered.

The thing is just not something that is done in football apart from extreme circumstances like a player who died at the club, its much more something american sports team do. Just think of all the great number 9's there have been at any top club yet the number does not get retired and the top players that wear that number are still remembered.

True. Many clubs and players consider it an honour to wear the famous shirt number that has been worn in the past.

When exactly do you get the option to require a squad number as I had Balotelli in my United team from age 18-34 with the same number every season. He is listed as an icon of United and when he retired I did not get the option to retire his squad number.

What number was Balotelli wearing for this whole time? Was it one of the starting 11? And did he have that number as his preferred number as well, because he was wearing it so often?

• 11 months later...

I had the option to retire Maldini's number in '09, not had it yet in '10. I would love to see it be possible for say all time club goal scorer, appearance etc. Little things like that make a huge difference imo.

I hadn't noticed the regen shirt issue Leto2626 mentions but I agree they should have preferences and it would be nice if those preferences could also change and develop during the game (not just come into the game with them) maybe after winning the world cup with a specific number etc?

What happens when the new rule comes into place were 25 players only can be registered ? for example,23 at man city is retired,will you only be able to pick 24 players or will an alternative number be assigned.

Hope that makes sense ^^

No, you just give out a shirt number that is not 1-25 to compensate for the missing one.

I imagine he'd have to be a "legend".

Its becoming more and more the thing to do though. Milan have retired Maldini and Baresi's numbers (3&6 IIRC, although Maldini has said if one of his sons make it to the 1st team they can have the 3); Wet Spam have retired 6 for Bobby Moore; Ajax the 14 shirt for Cruijjf (although he has said he would like the teams best player to have it); Argentina and Napoli the 10, both for Maradona; Zola's 25 at Chelski.

I definitely think it should be an option.

• 2 months later...

When a legendary player retires, does a screen appear giving you the option to retire his number? I've just been playing as Malmo, and Daniel Andersson has retired at the age of 40, after spending 14 seasons at the club in his second spell as well as a handful of seasons right at the start. However, I didn't get the option to retire his number, and he'd always worn no. 8 for me, so I wanted to retire it.

Archived