CA vs key stats for a position ?

Hi all,

I have a question...who is better in your opinion:

In this case we have 2 defenders:

Player A with a higher CA rating but lower key stats ( i.e. lower marking )

or

Player B with a lower CA rating but slightly higher key stats

I'm curious to know what are your thoughts...

Plus, what CA for players in your team do you consider to be good enough to challenge for major European honours ? ( i.e. everyone above 180 ).

Higher key stats. CA doesn't mean much on match day if they don't have good stats in the right areas.

I can't answer your second question as I don't work on CA. If the player has the right stats, for me, it doesn't matter about his CA (which is good as you can't see it in game :) )

Higher key stats. CA doesn't mean much on match day if they don't have good stats in the right areas.

I can't answer your second question as I don't work on CA. If the player has the right stats, for me, it doesn't matter about his CA (which is good as you can't see it in game :) )

Yeah, key stats are of course more important ( their key after all), that is why in the game

some players are overrated by scouts, coaches because they are an all-a-round player but

for most positions you dont need one (for example, having a DC with 16 dribbling and 19

long shot isn't good:thup: if his marking is 10 and positioning is 13). And I can't answer your

second question.

Thanks for your responses.

What about consistency ?

Do you go for a lesser player with an ave rating of say 7.30 over a player with better stats and an average of 6.90 ?

Sorry for all the questions..

You should be sorry for all these questions, just kidding.

I tend to stick with the better player even if his rating is slightly low, but if a player is doing

really bad i tend to tell them about it (like going in the player interaction screen), and they

usually respond well and turn their game around.;)

First of all I have to say that this is the first version of FM where game ratings (performance) is in cordination with players ability.

So if you see some premiership teams, you will see that C. Ronaldo usually has biggest ratings in Man UTD, like S. Gerrard inLiverpool.

And it was a pleasant surprise to me. Well done SI. This game has a lot of bugs, but after 3rd patch I think it will be best in series.

About Q...in short term I stick with attributes, cause why would I need a DC for example with dribbling, crossing, composure and some other attacking skills of 20 if his tackling and marking are low?

But in long term, you could reshape player, so player with bigger CA will have bigger attributes in average. You could simply train DC hard in defending area, while keeping his attacking training low, so you can free some aditional CA points.

2nd Q: I bet that you can win everything with 11 players with CA of 170, maybe even 160 if you are really, really good.

Ljuba82 - Good point made about training to change the CA. So the arguement could be made to buy players with high CA's or train youngsters with high PA's and wait for the stat changes to take place via training.

How long would it take though to redistribute ( via training ) 2 or 3 points to say the defending stats from attacking ?

I have a 20 year old regen who's a CB, has 16 for tackling, 17 heading, but just 11 marking. His average rating is 7.40 and his CA is 160 with a PA of 167. I have to decide whether to sell him as he's in high demand and I'm being offered good money.

Would you sell him or train him to change the stats to improve the key defending attributes ?

Yeah, key stats are of course more important ( their key after all), that is why in the game

some players are overrated by scouts, coaches because they are an all-a-round player but

for most positions you dont need one (for example, having a DC with 16 dribbling and 19

long shot isn't good:thup: if his marking is 10 and positioning is 13). And I can't answer your

second question.

I don't known.. Philippe Albert did alright..

Player A with a higher CA rating but lower key stats ( i.e. lower marking )

or

Player B with a lower CA rating but slightly higher key stats

I would actually go for player A as in my experience he would play better. Even if his key stats are slightly lower I find he more than makes up for it with his generally better mental and physical stats. But this is all subjective because just how good we perceive each fictional player in this example will differ from person to person.

For the CA to be good enough to challenge for European Honours anyone over 160 with the right key stats should be good enough. You need 3-4 players who are 180+ with the right stats (attacking players I find are best), but they can be backed up by a team of players of 150-160 CA.

How long would it take though to redistribute ( via training ) 2 or 3 points to say the defending stats from attacking ?

I have a 20 year old regen who's a CB, has 16 for tackling, 17 heading, but just 11 marking. His average rating is 7.40 and his CA is 160 with a PA of 167. I have to decide whether to sell him as he's in high demand and I'm being offered good money.

Would you sell him or train him to change the stats to improve the key defending attributes ?

Marking is not so important if you are playing zonal and if some other attributes of your player are high....like...tackling, accelereation, pace, positioning, concentration, anticipation, bravery, decisions, work rate, jumping, strenght...

It all depends in what financial position you are, is he your first DC or backup....

...but if you know his CA/PA...that means you are using some 3rd party software....and with it you can easily find replacement if you get big money...

...about time for reshaping. It's different from case to case. Bear in mind that weight of tackling and marking for defenders is bigger than weight of crossing, finishing, dribbling...

That means that if player reached his CA and if you want to increase his marking for 1 point, your attacking attributes have to drop several points!!!

Marking is not so important if you are playing zonal and if some other attributes of your player are high....like...tackling, accelereation, pace, positioning, concentration, anticipation, bravery, decisions, work rate, jumping, strenght...

It all depends in what financial position you are, is he your first DC or backup....

...but if you know his CA/PA...that means you are using some 3rd party software....and with it you can easily find replacement if you get big money...

...about time for reshaping. It's different from case to case. Bear in mind that weight of tackling and marking for defenders is bigger than weight of crossing, finishing, dribbling...

That means that if player reached his CA and if you want to increase his marking for 1 point, your attacking attributes have to drop several points!!!

Thanks for the response. I didn't realise about the weighting !!

He's played on a rotation basis to keep him happy and to try to bring him closer to his PA.

I do use a 3rd party scout, but have only used it once and have made a vow to myself to use it only on my own players to understand how it worked...i.e. are my player reports accurate. I never will use it to scout other players as I would rather do it via scouting in the game to gain a bit more satisfaction. I also never use the good player guides on these sites. Saying that I did look this once at my players and did feel a little guilty for it, I could only make myself feel better by saying to myself that if it was in real life I'd probably have a good idea of their PA...perhaps...

Yes it does mean that their assessments are useless.

Now why can SI not see that???

As attributes stem from CA, they will help. Tbh they're not much use for experienced players who know to use attributes, but they work well for new users. They're also good for "getting a feel" of the squad you've inherited at a new club.

Yes it does mean that their assessments are useless.

Now why can SI not see that???

Listen, I'm among people who critiseze SI the most, but this time I have to defffend SI.

You should look at CA like measure of player overall ability, not like exact proof that player with higher CA is better than one with smaller on specific position.

So...for example...a player with attribite 20 for finishing, dribbling, crossing and with 10 for tackling would have bigger CA than player with 1 for finishing, dribbling, crossing and 12 for tackling. I mean if you look player overall ability, 1st player is much better. But if I choose who to play on DC position, I would pick 2nd player.

By bear in mind, that if you train player 1 intensively in defending in order to reshape his attributes...after some time he will have tackling of 12 in expense of few attacking attributes. So in that case, I would play him.

Conclusion: If you know what you want from player and know how to train him, after some period, player with higher CA will be better.

Archived