Listen to mp3

Seconded.

Sounds like a good idea. Theres not much sound in this game is there? Does the handheld version even have the crowd noises?

If other psp games can do it (i think gta did) i cant see no reason why it couldnt be put into this game.

If not then any chance of a patch??

MP3 playback is very processor intensive. GTA can't do it - it demands that you convert the music files into the PSP's own format. The reason for this is that the PSP has a sound chip that can decode that format with little to no overhead for the main processor. The flaw here is that the music is then playable only in GTA, thus taking up room on your stick.

Of course, maybe Vice City Stories does it differently, I can't comment.

One game I know of that does allow you to use MP3s is FIFA 07. However, it only allows you to listen during the menus, where almost no processing takes place. Any time there's a hint of a load, the music cuts out.

Given a straight toss-up between a faster or more accurate game world, and mp3 playback, it's a bit of a no brainer. That's not to say they won't do it for FMH08, but it's not a simple task and certainly not something you can do in a patch (which doesn't really exist for PSP games anyhow, other than providing new level content).

Well there are patches coming out for psp games to add features such as online play, etc.

And from what i've heard, after the initial load, this game hardly accesses the UMD at all. Although i've only read that, i haven't actually played an FMH game yet.

But you seem to know what you're talking about and understand it a lot better than i do! So you're probably right. Would be nice though.

Marc Vaughen early this year said that they did consider and look into adding this feature - however it deemed it wouldnt work well because of loading times, memory and a whole load of other technical stuff

basically my take is that it will not be happening

would be a great idea, but its not happening icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go0n3r:

Well there are patches coming out for psp games to add features such as online play, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Patches are possible if the developers plan ahead, but it'll be so rare as to be essentially negligible.

You need to code the game to specifically look for and apply the patch from the memory stick each time, as unlike the PC version you can't just change an exe. So it's possible to do something like add further levels or online play by allowing for it in the first place and then effectively bolting on the extra content, but having the game change its own code is much more difficult.

And of course, developers like to get things right first time.

Archived