Has anyone managed to develop a World Class Goalkeeper?

This is a questioin that I sort of though about and posted in another thread in the T&T forum but it will hopefully get more responses here.

Now I like to play long term career games, waiting on 9.3 to start another one, and I was wondering if anyone had ever trained a regen from under the age of 18 to become a World Class keeper?

I've never really managed it I got close once and he probably would of become World Class if he hadn't of joined Chelsea and never played another game for 5 years (£40m and +50% sell on was too good to resist). But in general any keepers I buy young, even if I play then in the first team from 18 onwards, never develop that well and they certainly never get close to the level of the top keepers in the database at the start of the game. They just always seem to start with poor distribution of stats and it's very difficult to change that distribution through training.

Now with other positions I find it easy as you can generally find 5 - 6 excellent prospects for the future each year for each position and then cherry pick the ones with the best starting distribution of stats, but I generally end up just buying in a keeper that another club has developed. Even then he is generally a player who was in the starting database and not an actual regen/newgen keeper.

So has anyone seen regen keepers that can compete with the likes of Cech, van der Saar or Buffon?

I should of mentioned that the World Class Keeper I developed was on FM2006 not FM2009

It's interesting you ask, because I'm noticing this myself.

I've always bought established keepers and not young ones but I found it tough to find one for my newest club so went for a 17 year old (great prospect). Ever since, he has been my number 1 and thats has been about a season and a half (just under) but he doesn't seem to be progressing all that well.

I also have a 16 year old striker who plays very few games but has been improving all the time. It could be that I'm giving my GK too many games but he's going to continue to be my number 1 anyway, just to see if he does improve.

I signed a regen keeper on FM 08 at 17yrs old for 50k. He was playing regular Championship football from 19-21 and when we got promoted to the EPL I managed to get his value upto £25m and was voted world player of the year 3 years running. Sold him for £53m at 28 years old.

I find it quite hard, goalkeepers don't seem to develop at the same rate as other players. Or maybe I'm just impatient because they peak later?

I have one dutch goalie regen, signed him at the age of 16, he's 21 now and a first team regular. He's got world class potential, but still has a long way to go. I just decided to stick with him and use him as my first choice GK, backup goalies don't develop at all and sometimes even start to decline (even when they're young) even if I give them 10-15 first team appearances a season.

Didn't see any regen GK yet and don't have regen GK in my ranks (still early in the game for me) but am trying to do it with a young GK which was already at the club when I took over. Is doing fine so far, give him some games to gain experience, but always with my 1st choice defenders in front him. I noticed that is can be killing for a young GK to give him a start with with also young defenders in the game.

• Administrators

Are you all using customised Goalkeeper training routines? Are these goalkeepers getting many first team games (20-30 plus?)

Is it just CA you feel they are lacking, or attributes in particular?

I'm probably wrong but wouldn't Goalkeepers tend to see their most drastic improvements between 25-30 and possibly older?

Just thinking of RL examples such as David James who has just got better as time has gone on (and drastically in the last few years).

Well I was asking as I've been trying to develop 2 young keepers, they aren't regens and I'm not going to name them in GQ although one has been mentioned on this thread already. I've had then for 3 and 2 years respectively and they have both played 15-20 Premier League games a season in that time. Neither has progressed at all, they are not helped by the fact they have extremely low professionalism, checked with Genie Scout, and I have had to majorly reduce the training intensity this last season to make them happy.

But in general the regens keepers I see have 3-4 really great keeping stats, and the rest are all rubbish. I rarely see one that I would consider an allround keeper, they are either technically brillant or physically brillant never both. I am using two customized keeper schedules, one for the professional players that can take hard training and one for the lazy buggers who can't. None of the keepers I can see on my current game are ever going to progress to Cech, Adler, Buffon, etc standards, even the ones with the PA to be as good as them.

I have had quite alot of good prospect regen GK´s in this version, but as you said its very hard get them to live up to their potential.

My scouts can rave and rant about a 17 year old but after i have trained him and nurtured him through matches and training (TUGs and darkstarr) they are turning out rubbish.

When i look at their training in detail i see that they hardly develop at all. When they are 24 and their price has gone down i try to sell them but nobody wants them.

Overall there seem to be very few really good GK´s in this version, prospects yes but not as many that really become good., so if you have a training schedule for GK that works please advice...

I had a world class regen goalkeeper on FM08. He was called David Conget and he was a Basque Spaniard. I signed him from Getafe for Man Utd when he was about 17. He's now 20 but he's already considered world class and when I play him, he's brilliant.

I'm also having trouble getting my young GKs to progress. They are improving, but very slowly. In example I sent a 17 year old with excellent potential out on loan and he played 36 games for Albacete in Liga Adalante. He did well, only conceding 41 goals, but when he returned he was glad because he feel he hadn't learn anything. I checked his attributes graph and not one attribute had moved in that season.

Currently my 2nd choice GK is 18 year old with high PA. In his two first season he played most games for my u-19 side, and in addition got 8 games for the first team, and lots of games for Spain u-19 and u-21. He has improved, and his development has speeded up in his third season, when I'm using him more regulary. It's still slow though compared to outfield players. What's pleasing is I'm seeing improvements in most areas on this particular GK.

I haven't played more than 4,5 season on this game though, and six seasons on another game, so I was kinda hoping they do develop but later than outfield players. My other players responds very well to training and first team football. I.e. I have a 18 year old CB with worldwide reputation and caps for Spain. I'm using Darkstarr's training.

I think the main problem with regen keepers is that they peak at 30+ so their stats will not be great until they reach their peak. Obviously there are always exceptions (Casillas, Cech, Buffon) but take Ben Foster for examply. Argueably Englands hottest prospect in goal and still not getting a game for United at 25.

I think the main problem with regen keepers is that they peak at 30+ so their stats will not be great until they reach their peak. Obviously there are always exceptions (Casillas, Cech, Buffon) but take Ben Foster for examply. Argueably Englands hottest prospect in goal and still not getting a game for United at 25.

Okay I will accept that keepers develop less quickly but does that mean that an 18 year playing 40+ first team games in 3 years should only improve by 1 point in strength and nothing else? He was a very unprofessional player and hated training but still that is very slow progression. The current guy I am trying to train up hasn't improved one point in a year, and he also hated training for the first 6 months before I made new schedules for the lazy players in the squad.

I have just about given up with trying to develop them, and I'm spending £12.5m on an established keeper and have flogged one of them off to Portsmouth. Just a shame a board takeover prevented me doing any transfers until a week after the Jan window shut.

Are you all using customised Goalkeeper training routines? Are these goalkeepers getting many first team games (20-30 plus?)

I'm using a custom training schedule and my keeper played 51 in his first season at 17/18 and has currently played 24 this season.

My keeper stats don't seem to go up much but it's only been a season and a half so I can't say for certain.

Even if they peak later, they should still develop a little faster than what I have experienced.

Also, can I just say that Fm08 is irrelevent. I didn't notice poor developing gk's on 08. I'm talking specifically about 09.

iv had one come through my (west ham) youth system - Marcus Greenwood (regen) hes quality and has the potential to far exceed Robert Greens current potential and to be a Key player... i think or something to that extent

hes on loan at Blackpool atm..... i had another wonderkid GK on FM07 (english again) who was England keeper at 19 and was a wonderkid

ooooooopppss i almost 4got i bought tom heaton in my second season at Huddersfield on a free he was good but playing week in week out his stats are through the roof and although im now West Ham manager there are Premiership teams after him - GOALKEEPERS DO IMPROVE!!

i started a career with nottingham forest and found this paraguyan keeper who is amazing.

player.jpg

personal.jpg

For Forest, yes, he's very good, but for a top prem/european club, he is nothing more than decent.

I normally would expect at least 4 goalkeeping attributes over 16 for a class keeper.

i started a career with nottingham forest and found this paraguyan keeper who is amazing.

He looks a fairly decent keeper, we can't see all his stats though and he certainly isn't World Class. Is he a newgen/regen you trained yourself or did you buy him off another club like that?

We are talking about the development of world class keepers though.

well he is world class for championship level. that is kind of what i meant. sorry if i was mis-leading. strange thing is, i signed him for liverpool on a different save and his stats were completly different. are some player stats randomly generated?

I think he is great for CCC but world class is pushing it :D

Some players have random stats/PA, yeah.

well his performances have been amazing for forest. he has let in 9 goals in 19 games since i took that screenshot. considering i told the board i will avoid relegation and i am 7th because of him is good. so i meant world class for the level he is playing at.

from my 5 year stint, i found there were alot of golie's with high PA but there stats would never match there level of PA, there consistancy and big match stats was as low as 5 and 7 and they never compared to the in game greats..

And none ever seem to have a stats above 10 for concentration

did you read that last part?

I think he did as in fact his post makes clear. If you are world class you will not be playing in the Championship, because by the very definition of the phrase 'world class' you are one of the best players in the world. You cannot be world class 'for the Championship' or any other league because it doesn't make any sense.

I think he did as in fact his post makes clear. If you are world class you will not be playing in the Championship, because by the very definition of the phrase 'world class' you are one of the best players in the world. You cannot be world class 'for the Championship' or any other league because it doesn't make any sense.

Exactly, worldclass in Holland is just as stupid.

I do use a specific GK training and my GK is improving (but he is not a regen as mentioned in my post.)

well he is world class for championship level. that is kind of what i meant. sorry if i was mis-leading. strange thing is, i signed him for liverpool on a different save and his stats were completly different. are some player stats randomly generated?

Having 7 stars doesn't indicate the player is World Class. You can sign 7 Star players for a Championship club and when you get into the Premier League they are only 4-5 stars. 7 Stars shows that the player is if an ability way above your clubs expectation, a 7 star player for Fulham or Bolton won't necessarily be a 7 star player for Man Utd or Chelsea.

Anyway back on topic my remaining young keeper (he is 22 now) has started to progress, I think he wasn't progressing due to being trained too hard lazy git. He is not going to turn into a World Class keeper though, has PA is comparable to Cech's but my guy has much higher pace and acceleration but is lower on every other stat compared to him. There is no way training and his remaining CA can make up the difference between the two. Especially as in trying to improve his agility and balance I am going to increase his pace and acceleration even further.

It's interesting you ask, because I'm noticing this myself.

I've always bought established keepers and not young ones but I found it tough to find one for my newest club so went for a 17 year old (great prospect). Ever since, he has been my number 1 and thats has been about a season and a half (just under) but he doesn't seem to be progressing all that well.

I also have a 16 year old striker who plays very few games but has been improving all the time. It could be that I'm giving my GK too many games but he's going to continue to be my number 1 anyway, just to see if he does improve.

Off point i know but, in my Spurs save i got a 17 year old 7 star regen through last season (according to Kevin Bond so im not going to hold my breath).Last season i gave him 16 starts mainly in cups and against poor opposition but this season i have been starting him in most games i have played in. Could i damage his potential by playing him giving him too much playing time or am i OK to continue to play him?

Having 7 stars doesn't indicate the player is World Class. You can sign 7 Star players for a Championship club and when you get into the Premier League they are only 4-5 stars. 7 Stars shows that the player is if an ability way above your clubs expectation, a 7 star player for Fulham or Bolton won't necessarily be a 7 star player for Man Utd or Chelsea.

Anyway back on topic my remaining young keeper (he is 22 now) has started to progress, I think he wasn't progressing due to being trained too hard lazy git. He is not going to turn into a World Class keeper though, has PA is comparable to Cech's but my guy has much higher pace and acceleration but is lower on every other stat compared to him. There is no way training and his remaining CA can make up the difference between the two. Especially as in trying to improve his agility and balance I am going to increase his pace and acceleration even further.

training needs to be changed, IRL if a player lacked agility, unless he was really fat, you would train him day and night to improve this and it could be improved rather than gain more pace etc.

Could i damage his potential by playing him giving him too much playing time or am i OK to continue to play him?

I always saw that as a myth. I don't think their PA will ever be harmed but I've read several times that it can harm their development. I never noticed this in any FM before 09 though. I'm not sure what the case is with 09 or before but for me, I always played my prospects a hell of a lot and apart from them getting tired, they still turned into great players.

training needs to be changed' date=' IRL if a player lacked agility, unless he was really fat, you would train him day and night to improve this and it could be improved rather than gain more pace etc.[/quote']

I've been saying that for about 2 years now. My CB are all getting great at dribbling because I have to train Ball Control to gain heading.

And as Neji said I don't think i have ever hurt a player reaching their PA by playing them too much. I have never played a youngster in 50+ games a season though, the max I have done is about 35-40 and it didn't seem to hurt their development (the guy hit 190/198 by the time he was 20). Actually I don't think I have ever played anybody in more then 40 games a season.

Okay I will accept that keepers develop less quickly but does that mean that an 18 year playing 40+ first team games in 3 years should only improve by 1 point in strength and nothing else? He was a very unprofessional player and hated training but still that is very slow progression. The current guy I am trying to train up hasn't improved one point in a year, and he also hated training for the first 6 months before I made new schedules for the lazy players in the squad.

I have just about given up with trying to develop them, and I'm spending £12.5m on an established keeper and have flogged one of them off to Portsmouth. Just a shame a board takeover prevented me doing any transfers until a week after the Jan window shut.

Tutor him?

I don't know if everyone understands tutoring and how important it can be for turning a slouch like this into a professional. If you track with Genie Scout you can watch those hidden mental stats develop, and they certainly do with a good tutor. Then, when he's professional, ambitious, determined, consistent, etc.. he'll have a chance at reaching his PA. Without strong personality it won't even matter if his stats develop as he'll whine himself onto the transfer list due to red cards, bust-ups. At least he'll cost you nothing as you'll be able to fine him every week!

I have been scouting the top leagues in my game for 10 years (2015 - 2025) and yet to come across a single 5 star keeper (this is due to my scout having world class rep). I have found many 5 star strikers and mid fielders, even six or so 6 star defenders, but the best i have ever done is find 4 star GKs. The real world goalies continue to dominate through to 2025 (when Afkeen has retired) with no regen coming even close to the standing that Cech, VDS etc have!

Tutor him?

I don't know if everyone understands tutoring and how important it can be for turning a slouch like this into a professional. If you track with Genie Scout you can watch those hidden mental stats develop, and they certainly do with a good tutor. Then, when he's professional, ambitious, determined, consistent, etc.. he'll have a chance at reaching his PA. Without strong personality it won't even matter if his stats develop as he'll whine himself onto the transfer list due to red cards, bust-ups. At least he'll cost you nothing as you'll be able to fine him every week!

I've tried. He is on his second attempt at bein tutored, third if you count the time he straight out refused to even try. They have all failed.

I have been scouting the top leagues in my game for 10 years (2015 - 2025) and yet to come across a single 5 star keeper (this is due to my scout having world class rep). I have found many 5 star strikers and mid fielders, even six or so 6 star defenders, but the best i have ever done is find 4 star GKs. The real world goalies continue to dominate through to 2025 (when Afkeen has retired) with no regen coming even close to the standing that Cech, VDS etc have!

This is what I have been noticing, the next generation of top class keepers are more Alumenia then Cech or van der Saar. That is still a very good level of keeping but it is a long way behind the players in the other positions. It's not due too a lack of PA or CA either, they just can't seem to reach the same allround levels that the top starting keepers have. If the game ran a bit faster on my PC I'd do some actually numerical testing.

I've developed several top quality keepers who've seemingly maxed out, then been sold to the likes of AC Milan and suddenly are World Class when their stats fly up within a season :(

But yeah i've developed one kid I found had the potential to be twice the keeper of Shay Given who was leading prem and very good as it was. I capped him for England due to duel Irish nationality and used him for England from 18 and my first team keeper. By 24 he was worth £33m and was classed as World Class.. only one who''s ever become truely world class though and thats from FM05 to 09

ustari did for me in 08, he is not so good in 09 though. I also had a regen in my first saved game who at 25 years old made it to world class status. He played every game for me since the age of 16 to do that though. Yes 16, that was for a prem club as well.

Archived