Credit for previous signings idea

Hello all,

I think at present you don't get enough credit for signings you've made in previous years who go on to do great things for the club.

For example I signed Keirrison, scored 13 in first season having struggled to settle (defined as poor signing initially). Second season he has banged in 26 from 38 and I get no credit for it in the signings confidence section.

Similarly if you sign a 16 or 17 year old I get no credit when they come good, more over I get a bad rating for his signing and in most cases the board are 'disappointed' by the signing of the young top future talent even if they come for little or no money!

As an Arsenal fan I have confidence in Wenger's signings from his previous buys, for example Vieira, Henry, Cesc, Pires etc etc and I think previous successes should be reflected in supporter confidence.

Isn't this basically covered by the Player form confidence section? You get the credit for their good performance there even if you didn't sign them. Once you've been at a club a certain length of time 90+% of the players there, esp. in the first team and doing well, will be your signings anyway so it doesn't seem necessary to split them off from fans being happy with the performance of other players.

I would say it isn't covered to be honest, I think that's more judging how you get the best of the players you have. Seperate items in my opinion.

And don't forget you could sell a player on who proved an inspired buy, you'd never get the credit for it. Maybe that could be covered by considering recent buys and historic buys.

Why do you need the credit though? Fans are not all that interested in whether you spent £1 million on a player and then sold him a year later for £14 million if they don't see that money spent on exciting new signings and you would get the credit for those signings in that case.

I still don't really see how "getting the best out of the players you have" is sufficiently different from one you signed 2 years ago though. If you weren't getting the best out of him then he wouldn't be a great signing anyway and if he is doing well then it is because you are getting the best out of him, having signed him previously.

So do I, but I just think the current system covers it. The credit for signing a player wears off and after that he's just like any other player.

Under your system what happens if you sign a 23 year old striker and he does very little for 3 years and then has a season where he scores 20 goals? Should you be given applause 3 years after signing him even though it took him a long time to come good and he might be rubbish again the following season? Or should you just get the credit for how well he is playing at that time in the same way you would if it was a 26 year old striker who was signed by the previous manager and was suddenly having a good season?

It'd be a huge list of players if your fans kept track of all your signings and what they currently think of them! I've signed ~60 players for Scunthorpe in my 9 years at the club, loads of them have since moved on, but one went to Real Madrid a couple of years after I sold him, giving me a whopping £7 million sell on clause (I sold him for ~£1 million +50% sell on). Should the fans still be keeping tabs on him and judging whether I did a good deal on selling him since he now seems to be world class?

Archived