The biggest derby match in football history?

Derby.jpg

That's right, not only is my Barcelona side facing their fierce rivals Real Madrid, they are playing at the Nou Camp (it's not a bug, the venue was decided at the start of the season). Is it the biggest derby match in football history? Take a look at the league:

League.jpg

This is going to be the biggest match of my career without a doubt. There will be riots if we lose to Madrid in the Champions League final on our own turf.

This is a big match, granted.

But many would've said the same about last seasons Champions League - United V Chelsea

Both were fighting for the league, and were very close.

The main difference is that you're playing in your own stadium.

But, remember, you don't have any advantage.

The fans are split 50:50...

The result is in...

Score.jpg

The worst loss of my career without a doubt. Losing to my biggest rivals on the biggest possible stage in the closest possible match.

MatchStats.jpg

It could have gone either way. For the first 30 minutes I completely dominated the match, but Casillas made two incredible saves. Then, in the 50th minute my captain, Gerard Pique, pulled a John Terry. He bottled it in a huge final to deny his team the Champions League title:

Pique.jpg

Pique won't be my captain next season. He was the worst player on the pitch and his stupid mistake cost us the title. The only consolation is that if we win our next two games we are league champions. Sometimes playing this game really hurts.

Does that also hold true for relegation battles? Seems a curious way of going about proceedings.

All teams in Spain are separated by head-to-head record. That includes title races and relegation battles.

It's actually quite common. A lot of countries use it and it has been used in continental and international tournaments in the past.

All teams in Spain are separated by head-to-head record. That includes title races and relegation battles.

It's actually quite common. A lot of countries use it and it has been used in continental and international tournaments in the past.

Its probably in a way better then GD. Problem with GD is that it often doesnt have much baring in relevant to the teams around them. Especially at the top of the table, it actually looks at which side is better, rather then which side is better at putting extra goals past weaker sides. I actually prefer that system.

I disagree. I think it's a terrible way of doing it. Teams should not be separated on the basis of two matches. GD is a reflection of season-long performance and, in my opinion, is the only way to do it.

Archived