Raul the Master Tactician - 4-2-4?

I am nearing the end of my 2015/2016 season with Barcelona and I have to face Zaragoza. Before the match, I notice that their new manager is Raul, the Real Madrid legend. There is nothing unusual in that, as lots of ex-players become managers. However, I load the pre-match screen and I see this:

424.jpg

Zaragoza are playing 4-2-4 from the start? Surely that can't be right; I bet it will be 4-4-2 when the match engine starts. Then I see this:

Still424.jpg

What? Raul is actually playing the whole match against my dominant Barcelona side with a 4-2-4 formation? He is going to get slaughtered...

Now442.jpg

After 75 minutes he finally switches to 4-4-2 and the match ends in a very annoying 0-0 draw. I am now only top of the league based on my head-to-head with Madrid. There are five games to go. I then look at Raul's manager profile...

Raul.jpg

Raul plays all of his matches in the 4-2-4 formation? Is he some kind of football revolutionary who has mastered the art of not needing a midfield? Is this what happens in the future: midfielders become obsolete? Is this the type of football that the real-life Raul would play?

There's a manager in Italy (FM not real world) that always plays 4-2-4, managed to compete surprisingly well as noone seemed able to counter his tactic that appeard to always have 7 in defence & 7 in attack.

Archived