War Child Heroes

• SI Staff

As many of you know, SI are involved on many levels with the UK arm of War Child, a non-political charity who believe that no child should be affected by war. Indirectly, every person who buys a boxed copy of one of our games is already involved with the charity, as SEGA and SI make a donation to War Child UK for each game sold, and have done since they started working together on the Football Manager series.

You may well have also noticed the advertising hoardings for War Child Heroes around the side of the pitch in FM09, and as the project is about to be released, I thought it was timely to let you all know about the project.

I'm not going to ram the charity down anyone's throats - you can find out information about them, and the extraordinary work that they do at www.warchild.org.uk, but this project deserves extra promotion and for everyone to know about it, so, err, the below sums up what War Child Heroes is about.

Over the last decade and a half, War Child has released a number of albums with different "themes". With the Heroes project, the theme was to ask some musical heroes to nominate their favourite modern day artist, and ask them to cover one of their tracks. The response has been magnificient.

The album is released on February 16th on the Parlophone label, with all profits going to the charity. The album sleeve features original artwork from John Squire.

The tracklisting is thus...

1. Beck - Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat (Original Artist Bob Dylan)
  2. Scissor Sisters - Do The Strand (Original Artist Roxy Music)
  3. Lily Allen - Straight To Hell (Original Artist The Clash)
  4. Duffy - Live And Let Die (Original Artist Paul McCartney)
  5. Elbow - Running To Stand Still (Original Artist U2)
  6. TV On The Radio - Heroes (Original Artist David Bowie)
  7. Hot Chip - Transmission (Original Artist Joy Division)
  8. The Kooks - Victoria (Original Artist The Kinks)
  9. Estelle - Superstition (Original Artist Stevie Wonder)
  10. Rufus Wainwright - Wonderful/ Song For Children (Original Artist Brian Wilson)
  11. Peaches - Search And Destroy (Original Artist Iggy Pop)
  12. The Hold Steady - Atlantic City (Original Artist Bruce Springsteen)
  13. The Like - You Belong To Me (Original Artist Elvis Costello)
  14. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Sheena Is A Punk Rocker (Original Artist The Ramones)
  15. Franz Ferdinand - Call Me (Original Artist Blondie)

... and is available from all good, and some bad, retailers who sell music.

There will also be a very special concert on Wednesday 18th February at the 02 Shepherds Bush Empire in London, featuring two of the worlds biggest bands, Coldplay and the Killers, with both bands playing 45 minute sets. The gig will start directly after the Brit Awards, which happens on the same night.

The tickets, priced at £50 each, will be distributed via a lottery system, and limited to two per person. Registration for the lottery will open at 9am on Friday 30th Jan, and close on February 3rd. You can find out more info about the project, and register for the chance to get tickets to the gig (on Friday) at www.warchild.org.uk/heroes

There'll be a few more announcements in the next few weeks about other things happening around the album launch to support the project, which you can find out about via the War Child heroes website.

1. Beck - Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat (Original Artist Bob Dylan)
  2. Scissor Sisters - Do The Strand (Original Artist Roxy Music)
  3. Lily Allen - Straight To Hell (Original Artist The Clash)
  4. Duffy - Live And Let Die (Original Artist Paul McCartney)
  5. Elbow - Running To Stand Still (Original Artist U2)
  6. TV On The Radio - Heroes (Original Artist David Bowie)
  7. Hot Chip - Transmission (Original Artist Joy Division)
  8. The Kooks - Victoria (Original Artist The Kinks)
  9. Estelle - Superstition (Original Artist Stevie Wonder)
  10. Rufus Wainwright - Wonderful/ Song For Children (Original Artist Brian Wilson)
  11. Peaches - Search And Destroy (Original Artist Iggy Pop)
  12. The Hold Steady - Atlantic City (Original Artist Bruce Springsteen)
  13. The Like - You Belong To Me (Original Artist Elvis Costello)
  14. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Sheena Is A Punk Rocker (Original Artist The Ramones)
  15. Franz Ferdinand - Call Me (Original Artist Blondie)

The only thing that puts me off that is number four. Can't stand that girl's voice:mad:

Duffy isn't the greatest thing to look at, but both me and my dad like her a lot. Perhaps it is the Welsh accent in the voice that puts you off.

No, she's fine to look at. If you like Frogs, that is:p

And its the croakiness and repetiveness(is that a word) that makes me dislike her:D

• SI Staff

wandsfan93 - both Kaiser Chiefs and Blur have done lots of work with War Child in the past. However, it was up to the legend to pick the act that they wanted to do a version of their song, and if you look at the legends list, Blur would have been too "modern", as all the acts on the record broke in the 80's or before... Blur didn't break til the 90's.

I would buy the CD but I don't really know anything pre-90s and am not much of a fan of the modern toss that's in the charts (especially R&B, I can't stand it).

I believe Same Differences album is still in the chart. Perhaps thats up your street?

On another note, heard the Yeah Yeah Yeah's version of Sheena is a punk rocker on radio 1 and thought it was a good stab at it. However, Hot Chip covering Transmission from Joy Division is just uncalled for, nothing can beat Joy Division as they are my favourite group but fair play for everyone taking part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived