Those who do, how on earth do you...

...get 20/30/40 seasons into a game?

I've always wondered this but never asked. I play FM for hours and hours most days of my life, even have to take my save with me and put it on my girlfriend's laptop when we go visiting family etc. But I've probably never been past 5/6/7 seasons tops.

Do you play all games on fast and let the assistant do everything (pick side, teamtalks, contracts etc)? Or do people go on holiday for years as I seem to remember reading people say?!

I never use the holiday and take great detailed participation in everything with my game, my 1st, reserve and youth teams etc.

Just always wanted to guage opinion on how people get into 2030/2040 etc as don't think I ever will do haha.

...get 20/30/40 seasons into a game?

I've always wondered this but never asked. I play FM for hours and hours most days of my life, even have to take my save with me and put it on my girlfriend's laptop when we go visiting family etc. But I've probably never been past 5/6/7 seasons tops.

Do you play all games on fast and let the assistant do everything (pick side, teamtalks, contracts etc)? Or do people go on holiday for years as I seem to remember reading people say?!

I never use the holiday and take great detailed participation in everything with my game, my 1st, reserve and youth teams etc.

Just always wanted to guage opinion on how people get into 2030/2040 etc as don't think I ever will do haha.

The people who play until them years have an ability to stay interested in that save game for years and years. I've tried it but feel guilty leaving a club for another and then start again. So far im in season 3 ands its my record for 2008, but i get bored once i feel i have taken a side as far as i can and then feel guilty for leaving because another club who is under-acheiving approches me so then i start again

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sifrow:

Increasing the match speed and using commentary only are two good ways. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much how I do it.! icon14.gif

I'm currently in 2038.

the first few seasons take me hours and hours getting the club set up in my way, sorting out staff, players, contracts, scouting missions, affiliates etc. Then after that, it gets quite easy, taking about 5-8 hours per season.

...or just copy the FM2143 game save. I like to see where the game and my team goes into the future, so I tend to go on holiday more often then not etc... but in the middle amend my strategy every so often.

I wish I would studiosly take every single game one step at a time, but am too impatient!

Don't get me wrong, although I would love to play that far into the future, I have no interest in doing the things you do to get there. I was just wondering.

I most often stick with the one game, and don't get bored with my games. Also my computer holds many leagues quite well and quickly. But I mean, how can you enjoy zooming through games so quickly?

Part of the game that keeps me interested is getting into it in great detail and controlling everything, keeping watch over my youngsters, spending hours searching for new players etc.

A season takes me weeks, if not a month or more, depends how much work I have on etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jakespurs442:

...or just copy the FM2143 game save. I like to see where the game and my team goes into the future, so I tend to go on holiday more often then not etc... but in the middle amend my strategy every so often.

I wish I would studiosly take every single game one step at a time, but am too impatient! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't take this the wrong way mate, as am not tryin to be a p**ck to you, but why on earth do you play the game if you just want to zip through it?

Surely the whole point of the game is that you're the manager, not just seeing how a team can do that you once bought some players for lol.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LSF07:

Don't get me wrong, although I would love to play that far into the future, I have no interest in doing the things you do to get there. I was just wondering.

I most often stick with the one game, and don't get bored with my games. Also my computer holds many leagues quite well and quickly. But I mean, how can you enjoy zooming through games so quickly?

Part of the game that keeps me interested is getting into it in great detail and controlling everything, keeping watch over my youngsters, spending hours searching for new players etc.

A season takes me weeks, if not a month or more, depends how much work I have on etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't "Zoom" through games. Commentary is better option for me, because I like to watch my team stats while they play. But like I say, I do a lot of the work at the start of the game to get everything in place.

But you still need players, and to think about how your side is playing, and who the opposition is and what changes you need?

Again I wanna state that I'm not wanting to critisise anyone or be confrontational, I'm just interested as I cannot understand how people get so far, especially without basically paying very little attention to your game.

I don't zoom through games at all. I play with extended highlights on matches, I set up my own tactics and training rather than downloading them, and often go through other team's reserves and the players they release myself due to scouting restraints when I'm playing as a lower league team. Still got to 2030+ without much trouble, and without being out of work at any point during the game.

But then, I have a hell of a lot of time on my hands.

I agree with your point. Sorry I didnt make myself clear. My actual game is just into 2012. I was purely suggesting that I liked to see what is going to happen in the future ie 2143. I agree there is no value in managing a team which is purely fictional, and purely going on holiday misses the true action of tactics, scouting, and being a football manager right?! icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LSF07:

But you still need players, and to think about how your side is playing, and who the opposition is and what changes you need?

Again I wanna state that I'm not wanting to critisise anyone or be confrontational, I'm just interested as I cannot understand how people get so far, especially without basically paying very little attention to your game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I appreciate what you're trying to say mate, don't worry, I don't think you're being rude or anything, its cool.

I do think about, and do all those things. I make changes during seasons, and I do loads of other stuff in the mean time.

As I stated, I'm in 2038, but only 3 leagues loaded, so processing time is fast. Also, this is pretty much the only game I've played since FM08 was released (I've probably racked up about 5 or 6 seasons with other games here and there.

But, on the flip side... my total game time is.....

42 Days, 11 Hours, 37 Minutes. icon_biggrin.gif

Addictedness Rating : "What are humans?"

\o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kain:

But then, I have a hell of a lot of time on my hands. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So do I haha. I'm a student still. A law student, but I do as little work as I can and play as much FM as I can.

I play on key highlights too. Again, don't want people to defensive or anything, just never understood how people do it as I play it a ridiculous amount of time but have never got close.

Great topic, I d always wondered how people managed to rack up so many seasons on FM, I play it a sh*tload and have only managed 8 in one game. I guess its probably because I watch extended highlights from each game. I find that anything less just doesnt give me a feel for my team.

When I say a lot of time, I mean I work 10-6 Mon-Fri but don't even have enough money spare to go to the pub once in a while. For the first 4 months FM07 was out, I spent more time playing it than I spent sleeping.

I've never understood this myself either. Sure, my laptop isn't the fastest but I'm lucky if I can play 3 games in an evening after work. Transfer windows take me ages and I spend literally hours scouting bosmans. Then there's all the other things, checking players are happy in training, sorting my scouts out...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IbrahimAliMaher:

I've never understood this myself either. Sure, my laptop isn't the fastest but I'm lucky if I can play 3 games in an evening after work. Transfer windows take me ages and I spend literally hours scouting bosmans. Then there's all the other things, checking players are happy in training, sorting my scouts out... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It used to take me hours to scout people, going through them one by one....

But then I found out you can do them in big groups.

Click the little arrow next to a player, Hold Shift, then click on another 20 players down, now right click on any of the players in that group, and you can scout them all at once. It will look a little something like....

THIS.

Literally saved me hours and hours of time. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Click the little arrow next to a player, Hold Shift, then click on another 20 players down, now right click on any of the players in that group, and you can scout them all at once. It will look a little something like....

THIS.

Literally saved me hours and hours of time. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why didn't you tell us this sooner?! Never knew that, top tip icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bermybhoy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

THIS.

Literally saved me hours and hours of time. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why didn't you tell us this sooner?! Never knew that, top tip icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you know little things like this, I guess you just assume they are common knowledge icon_frown.gif

Sorry. icon_biggrin.gif

My theory is that people who make it decades into the game so quickly, don't actually play the game.

I think they simply follow their age-old formula: Gathering a super-team on their first day as manager, then breezing through all their games at full speed. In no time their 20 years in, and have won everything in all 20 years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

My theory is that people who make it decades into the game so quickly, don't actually play the game.

I think they simply follow their age-old formula: Gathering a super-team on their first day as manager, then breezing through all their games at full speed. In no time their 20 years in, and have won everything in all 20 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I play in the N. Irish leagues. I'm dominant domestically, but a super team? Not even close mate.!

Can barely get a win in Europe. :headbang:

i normally play the eglish, italian, spanish leagues..

I take my time on everything normally, but games that are not that inportant i normally put on commentry only and fast match speed. when playing agaisnt hard teams, cup semi-final / final and international matches i watch games on key highlights and mid speed..

I normally get through 25 seasons per FM games.. if i am not busy with other things icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm dominant domestically, but a super team? Not even close mate.! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just a general theory of mine. ...Doesn't have to fit everyone's case.

But there are people out there who always sign big-time player A, B, C, D, E, F, G then cruise to success.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm dominant domestically, but a super team? Not even close mate.! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just a general theory of mine. ...Doesn't have to fit everyone's case.

But there are people out there who always sign big-time player A, B, C, D, E, F, G then cruise to success. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea no doubt. (Don't worry, I didn't think it was directed at me personally, your comment).

I used to do that all the time. Take over as Arsenal, buy all the 17-21 year old superstars, and coast my way through the game. Not anymore.

icon_smile.gif

Dafuge/Gundo's challenge only for me nowadays.!

LSF - I think I play much more like you do, and the way I get that deep into a game is by continuing to play it after the new release(s) come out. My FM'05 save lasted me almost three full years. Yeah, I played '06 and '07, but I kept coming back to this one save because I loved the team, the players, especially the regens I'd been nurturing and the bitter rivalries I'd developed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by creature_from_ottawa:

i'm in 2050,and its a mixed bag of holidaying and playing the games.

I used to play it match-by-match(i used to holiday the days between the matches)when i had time,and no work to do.

But when i had work,or had to do something(i'm 14-most probably hanging out,or homework)then i used to holiday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the point though?

As I've said before, each to their own and not wanting to annoy anyone, but surely the point of the game (and ALL the enjoyment) comes out of, ya know, actually managing your side. Using your own skill, not the skill of the assistant manager, to see how well you can do and how far you can go?

If you have work to do, or you are out with friends, then save the game, turn it off, and carry on playing next time you have time. I'm just baffled as to where the fun is in holidaying. If it's because it gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling to be able to get years into the future with a game, then thats a bit sad to be honest.

Sorry, each to their own I guess lol.

Furthest I've ever been into a game is ~20 seasons, but I had something like 4 or 5 managers running in that game by that time so that kind of took the edge of speed, but I wasn't in a hurry - that game took some 6-9 months on and off to go that far so it was a fairly leisurely pace.

In my current game I have discovered the "delights" of watching games in full match mode again (I have done it on the odd occasion ever since the 2d engine came out, but not consistently until this savegame) so it is a slow-paced game. Add to that that I'm managing Fiorentina, Sampdoria and Werder Bremen[/i] and it takes a few weeks to do a season even though it is only Bremen I watch in Full Match mode almost every match.

Good thing about a game like this though is there are so many different directions in which different people can find enjoyment. Personally I am liable to get bored of a particular save after something like 20 seasons however fast I get there unless it is a game where I have successfully developed a strong youth squad and they are filtering through nicely into my team. I can see how others prefer that to dealing with the minutiae of individual matches though.

My weakness is for not being able to keep to just having one manager in a game - there are just too many teams and players I'd like to manage in any given savegame!

Actually I've never got more than 6 seasons into a game without holidaying (2008 in CM 01/02 and 2013 in FM2007), but those were truly great games but I stopped both of them because the new version was out.

I did my first holiday games i FM2007 where I decided on 3 teams (from Russia, Ukraine and Romania) and holidayed to the first season where I would be 25 years old IRL icon_biggrin.gif around 2017 icon_razz.gif and took over those 3 teams in three separates saves. Partially to see what the gameworld was like and how much the three games differed, but mostly because I've always found the future of FM very interesting and when I don't have the patience to get farer than 2013 I have to do it the hard way icon_wink.gif

Archived