Do you pause during tactical changes?

Do you pause the game  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pause the game

• Yes
    • No
    • sometimes

i was at a mates the other day and he was playing a game and he stopped the game to make tactical changes. i was a bit astounded as i dont do this and told him to stop being a muppet and play the game properly which ended up in a heated debate.

i dont think its cheating as such but i just dont think it realistic. there are no time outs in football and managers have to make decisions while the game is in play. you can still see the 2d pitch while making changes so i just dont see the point in pausing. i must admit that i did pause the game years ago but now i never do even if its the 82nd minute and im 1-0 down and have to make changes to try and change the game but perhaps thats just me.

so my question is this. do you pause the game during a match to make tactical changes?whether they are subs are tactics. obviously you have to pause the game if you need to go out the room but to me thats the only time the match should be paused if you have to go away from the computer however if you think thats still not an excuse then add your comments please.

I pause during tactical changes. I understand it's not realistic, but then this is a game. If i was a manager in real life then i'd prepare before a game for various different events/circumstances etc etc, and when i'd make changes. But as its a game i don't want the stress of having to rush a change and then losing/doing something wrong as a result of a bad decision. Play the game how u want!

Whatever. I pause it if there are lots of changes to make. Doesn't matter to me. AI can make changes in split seconds, and we obviously can't do that, so all is fair.

Also, if you play without the continuous game timeout thing, you can take as long as you want to looking for players, adjusting training, scouting, etc, before pressing continue. So that is just the same thing really

Of course I pause. Yeah there might not be timeouts in football, but the game isn't over in three minutes either.

If I've got, in real-life, 90 minutes then changing my instructions might take a minute. A 90th of three minutes is 2 actual seconds. Can you go to the tactics screen, get all your changes made and have them applied in two seconds? If so don't pause it. If not, and nobody can, then pause the game.

VB

I do pause when performing tactical changes in response to the AI team changing formation. I still have to wait a few minutes of game time before the changes take effect, and the formation change often is a killer. I've seen the AI change their formation almost instantly after I've scored what seemed like the winning goal and then I've conceded as my team isn't set up correctly to counter a 4-2-4 or whatever.

Pausing is realistic.

Unless you watch the game at the slowest possibly rate, then you will see 10 minutes run past before you finish your tactics.

Sure, in real-life, they don't ask for a 'Time-Out'.

But they don't see 10 minutes go past, before they decide to take X off for Y.

Also, I don't Pause unless it's the last 10 mins of a game.

Anytime before that, I don't pause, because the sub should come on eventually.

But at the 80+ mark, it could be at 89 mins before I click 'confirm sub'...

The old version was far more realistic - when the game waited for a pause before taking you to the tactics screen and then implemented your changes immediately. Sure it wasn't 100% realistic, but then new system is a joke.

You say it isn't realistic to pause because you can't in real life, but in real life you have 90 minutes for a game, whereas even if you play in full match mode a game still doesn't take longer than ~20 minutes so you have to think 4 times as fast as real life!

Also in real life a manager can think of his tactical changes whilst he watches the game - it doesn't take two totally separate channels of thought whereas in game you have to either not see the pitch while you make your tactical decisions or have some crappy small pitch alongside tactics that keeps distracting you from your tactics so you actually take twice as long to make your changes.

Also you have to make changes with a series of mouse clicks which can take longer than giving real life instructions would...

etc, etc, etc. The realism argument doesn't wash. This aspect should be about better gameplay and the older version was way better in my opinion.

In the new method the tactical changes get implemented at totally unrealistic times as well. Watching in full match mode I would regularly see the game pause mid-pass about a minute (game-time) after I confirmed on the tactics screen and all my tactical changes get implemented at that exact moment. How realistic is that? Certainly it is hard to claim it is more realistic than having the whole game pause and then tactics implement immediately.

And then there's the issue of substitutions and not being able to tweak your tactical changes until they get implemented so that if you choose to make changes and then your opponents score there is no way you can undo your changes and make different substitutions (unless that has changed for FM09).

i pause now because i always miss goals otherwise meaning i get to the end of a game thinking wot a win/draw etc and find the result is different. the main difference is in real life a manager is watching for 90 real minutes, maybe starting to think of his last 30 mins at about the 50 min mark, but on the game in a matter of seconds it can go from 50 mins to 68 or something so you need to pause to get your changes in when you want them

I do pause, for reasons others have mentioned.

I definitely do not think that pausing means you are playing the game unrealistically since if it were a football match in real-life, the manager can watch the play unfold in front of his eyes while talking to a potential substitute at the same time and he may also leave more complex tactical instructions to be explained to him by the assistant manager since in real-life, assistant managers work extremely close with their managers something and often do a lot of the actual ground work.

I play the game on key highlights because I do not have the luxury of time to watch filler action so naturally I want to watch all of those highlights as they are already kept to a minimum. If I were to miss any exciting build-up play or even any goals scored due to me being in the tactics screen, I might as well just skip 2D/3D highlights and watch text commentary only. Thus if I ever had the time to be watching matches with full highlights turned on, then sure I could do away with the pausing.

Of course I pause. Yeah there might not be timeouts in football, but the game isn't over in three minutes either.

If I've got, in real-life, 90 minutes then changing my instructions might take a minute. A 90th of three minutes is 2 actual seconds. Can you go to the tactics screen, get all your changes made and have them applied in two seconds? If so don't pause it. If not, and nobody can, then pause the game.

VB

for this reason and others mentioned here I do pause the game.

due to the fact most of my managerial decisions have to be so severe i find that pausing is the only way for me.

as a previous poster said, the fact the AI makes a change in a split second makes pausing, (imo) fair. this FM more than any other leaves me with a foul taste in my mouth in regards to the match engine so a pause during subs/tactics seems only right to me.

if it wasn't for the fact there are so many sliders & the fact that players even the likes of Rio Ferdinand & John Terry have to be baby fed i probably wouldn't pause as much but every move made has to be calculated so i'll pause on. the fact the match engine has the gaul to delay making changes by @ times as long as 5-10 (in-game) minutes also means i'll continue to pause for the foreseeable future.

if the match engine were more responsive & "fairer" people wouldn't see a need to pause but the advantages the AI has over ourselves is too great not to take 'advantage' of the pause facility.

Always pause before changes. helps me to change the tactic before the opposition scores

you see i find that aspect really fun. the opposition are always in your area you know you need to make changes to prevent them from scoring as it looks likly you have to make that tactical change quick. this for me makes the game so much more enjoyable because im under preasure i have to react quick because something happens. somtimes i might slow the game down a little while i do make these changes but for me thats why i buy the game for them scenarios.

i paused once, only to have my tactical changes updated after 10 minutes of game time (which included a few throw ins etc!).

...never again

I hate it when it takes ages for my changes to come into effect, especially substitutions :mad: Even though the ball goes out of play and the game is stopped, my changes don't always happen straight away. Is this because I pause it to make these changes most of the time? :confused:

I wouldn't pause if I was forced to watch the whole 90 minutes, as there would be plenty of real time to get instructions and changes out.

But as the game is shown to me in a fraction of that 90 minutes, I cannot see how handicapping myself can be fun or productive. I too cannot bear to know the game whizzing past, without me seeing it, missing goals and decisions because I am busy with my head in a few other screens tippity tapping the mouse.

Of course I pause. It's absolutely not cheating and way more realistic. IRL we would have time to think about what we would do, would look at players on the bench, look at notes, etc. In the game, we can normally do these things if we go to the tactics screen. And if we go there, we don't watch the game anymore (I use 3D).

Apart from that and more importantly: the game zips very fast, if like me, you're watching highlights only. Not pausing could cause it to take some 10 minutes, or more, to see your changes implemented.

Well once again I have lost a game due to my tactical changes taking too long to be implemented. In the 58th min I pause and sub off a DC having a shocking game, after watching a highlight starting in the 60th min containing a throw in, a free kick and a goal kick the DC is still on the pitch and misses a simple interception and the opposition score the winning goal. Until the game instantly implements my tactical changes as it seems to do for the AI then I will continue to pause the match at any point I like.

Edit: Okay I was a little hasty with this post I managed to score an equalizer in the 95th, but my point still stands.

No i never pause when making tactical changes as it's not as if it happens irl well apart from substituitons although i dont really make huge changes during games anyway so it doesnt take very long at all.

Archived