Unfair AI Transfers?

At the end of the third season, I had made Gokhan Inler my main transfer target. He wanted to move away from Udinese for a bigger club. All summer long, Udinese wouldn't settle for anything less than £31M. On the last day before the transfer deadline (My £20M bid was rejected two days earlier), I pressed continue having given up. During the processing, Udinese accepted a £12M bid from Chelsea and Arsenal and he signed with Chelsea before I could even get a bid in. I always thought that processing was slowed down at the end of deadlines to avoid this type of stuff.

Interesting. Only thing I can think of is that since it was the final day, they felt they had to accept. They may have felt they were going to get a better offer than the £20m you offered, but when they didn't, they just accepted the best bids on the final day.

Also, there may have been certain clauses in the deal such as '% of next sale' and a couple of others that wouldn't appear in the initial sum.

Interesting. Only thing I can think of is that since it was the final day, they felt they had to accept. They may have felt they were going to get a better offer than the £20m you offered, but when they didn't, they just accepted the best bids on the final day.

Also, there may have been certain clauses in the deal such as '% of next sale' and a couple of others that wouldn't appear in the initial sum.

Don't forget the player declaring his intention to leave, that normally knocks the price right down!

Don't forget the player declaring his intention to leave, that normally knocks the price right down!

Yes, but he said in the initial post that the player had already said he wanted to leave for a bigger club. And at that point, they weren't accepting anything less than £31m so I don't think that's too much of a factor.

It could be a different fault with the programming, and a much simpler one.

When the news says "signed for £12m" this doesn't include any additional clauses including monthly installments and fees after x number of games. In FM08 transfer fees did include these fees, but for FM09 they do not seem to.

I signed Arshavin for £2.5m plus £10m over 24 months and £2.5m after 40 goals, and the news said I'd signed him for a fee "believed to be in the region of £2.5million. So the eventual fee MIGHT be above your £31million bid.

I'm sure it doesn't happen every time, but in this case it COULD be a reason.

On the other hand, which club are you, and are you a rival to Udinese? Either listed as a general rival or are you vying for the same competition? I never let my best players leave for a club in the same league.

The FanBoys just wont accept that its very poor programming.

Well I've yet to face this myself in some 7 going on 8 seasons so I can't see why it would happen. As we've been given a very very light on view of what's happening I can only assume that it isn't AI biased programming.

The FanBoys just wont accept that its very poor programming.

It could well be that it's poor programming. But before slating SI AGAIN, why don't we try and find real answers. It is more than possible that a couple of the ideas in this thread replicate what has happened in the game.

You pessimists offer a worse contribution to the forums than us 'FanBoys'. Although I prefer to be known as a realist as your thoughts could well be proved correct, but since we don't know, and won't until someone from SI confirms it, why don't we try and look for positive answers rather than slating the programming at every opportunity?

its been like this for 6-7years in cm/fm. its an old bug.

ai teams always gets player cheaper. when human managers make bid ai try to milk out as much as possible and negotiating never works.

-bid 12 mill

-ai team want 15m

-bid 13mill

-ai team want 17m

-bid 15 mill

-ai team want 19m

always like this

ai to ai shopping goes smoth and always get players cheapest possible.

ai teams always gets player cheaper. when human managers make bid ai try to milk out as much as possible and negotiating never works.

-bid 12 mill

-ai team want 15m

-bid 13mill

-ai team want 17m

-bid 15 mill

-ai team want 19m

always like this

you bid £30 million the say no,but when a ai team bids £15 million then you can bid £15 million

It could well be that it's poor programming. But before slating SI AGAIN, why don't we try and find real answers. It is more than possible that a couple of the ideas in this thread replicate what has happened in the game.

You pessimists offer a worse contribution to the forums than us 'FanBoys'. Although I prefer to be known as a realist as your thoughts could well be proved correct, but since we don't know, and won't until someone from SI confirms it, why don't we try and look for positive answers rather than slating the programming at every opportunity?

Many people on here seem to get a kick out of finding fault with the game and slamming SI. Especially if they are the first one to spot the fault. It's a power thing. It's the modern world.

I will always look for a logical solution first. If I can't find it, fair enough, I'll accept it as a fault.

As for the examples given in this thread there are POSSIBLE explanations, but likewise, it's POSSIBLE the AI somehow cheats because it's gained sentience and is jealous of its human overlords. Or it could be poor programming.

Posting this sort of thing in the bugs forum and uploading games to the FTP is really the only way the issues get in-depth inspection.

-bid 12 mill

-ai team want 15m

-bid 13mill

-ai team want 17m

-bid 15 mill

-ai team want 19m

always like this

I was delighted with FM08 as it seemed to negotiate properly. This then started up again in FM09. I found the best way was to break off the negotiation and start again. In this case, with 15m, and they'll accept it.

No, last year it was far far far worse and much like what he was saying...

This year though it's okay.

I'm currently negotiating for the best young right winger in the world.

I bid £7.75 mil, they wanted £10 mil, so I bid £8, they still wanted at least £9.5 so I offered them £8.25 + 10% profit clause and a friendly and hey presto, I can have a chat with the bloke.

yeah i've been experiencing this, Roma bid 3.2 mil for Guilherme, no clauses, just cash, i then bid the same, was rejected, bid again, then was told they'd only accept 7.5 m straight up for him, He was still at Cruzerio, ended up loosing out on him. was nuts like

This was a major issue in FM08, I don't know how much better it is in FM09, but the transfer market was supposed to have been totally reworked.

The biggest issue, as someone else pointed out though, seems to be the fact that the game didn't stop immediately when the AI bids were accepted so that you could also react instead of processing straight through until he accepted the move. I've seen the game pause in very short steps early on transfer deadline day (in FM08), but often in the key later part of transfer deadline day it just sails through to the deadline and cancels any late deals I was trying to get finished off (these even in cases where I was the only club bidding for a player and in real life there would have been time to try and rush a transfer through).

Since it didn't stop processing you can't be sure about the conditions under which those AI bids were accepted. Maybe the player got transfer listed and set to status not needed at the last moment.

Also were your bids negotiable or non-negotiable? I've sometimes been able to force through a non-negotiable bid at a lower price than a negotiation simply because of the "take it or leave it" nature of the bid.

It's an umbrella term used to cover everything that the computer simulation does. Everything in-game that isn't just calculation of statistics or whatever comes down to AI - all the algorithms for everything in the match engine, the behaviour of all the players and managers etc in the game and basically everything.

In reality "the AI" is a carefully combined library of a huge number of individual modules, most of which don't interact with each other in a knowledge-passing sense so some people's claims of "the AI" cheating on various levels are way off.

That sucks... He probably said he wanted to leave.

Who were you?

Manchester United. He had said he wanted to leave in May. He was unhappy all summer until his move to Chelsea.

Isn't the point of the thread supposed to be that the processing didn't keep stopping on deadline day as it is supposed to, rather than the transfer prices, about which there are already many threads?

Correct. I don't care so much about the price. I do think it is a bit silly, but I am more upset that I did not even have a chance to make another bid.

Archived