[IDEA FM10] Manager contract negotations

I've been playing all the CM/FM game since the dawn of ages basically, and I've always loved them even though they're never quite perfect...

But sitting playing one day, something suddenly struck me as an obviously flaw in the FM series. When you get offered a job at a new club, the contract negotiations are absolutely unrealistic and heavly simplified.

Say in real life, when Man City approached Hughes from Blackburn something like this would roughly happen:

1. Usually loads of spectulations in the press, you might be mentioned or you might not...
  2. Man City chairman/board approaches Blackburn chairman/board. Compensation and terms initially agreed between the two clubs.
  3. Blackburn agrees that they can talk to Hughes.
  4. Man City approaches Hughes (does managers have agents now?) gently and secretly to see if he'd have any interest...
  5. Hughes says he might be interested, but initially he wants condition A without question and if possible condition B/C/D.
  6. Man City agrees to B and D, but negotiates A and denies him C.
  7. Weeks upon weeks they negotiate by phone calls and meetings etc etc.
  8. Finally they agree, and Blackburn chairman/board makes a final confirmation.
  9. Paper work is completed along with a press release etc etc.

The conditions by Hughes could have been: I want a three year contract, but released if approached for England job. I want to sign Roque Santa Cruz. I want Mark Bowen as Assistant Manager and Graham Carr as Chief Scout. I don't want a director of football. I don't want certain players to be sold for at least two seasons.

I'm not saying this is how it actually went, I'm only making a guess... But it's not important, the important bit comes when you compare it with FM09 process:

1. Not always, but usually a media item comes out saying that a manager has been sacked and three people are candidates for the job (you included).
  2. The club approaches you the manager directly.
  3. The only terms for the job is: length of contract and your personal wages.
  4. You accept the job (or you can renegotiate the two terms).
  5. The clubs now tells you the transfer and wage budget, and you have to select the ambitions after you've taken the job.

When you actually compare FM09 to the real world, is this not shocking? :eek:

Why can't it be more complicated? It would be so much more rewarding and interesting changing clubs in the FM series... :thup:

This is a good idea, good shout !!

When you start you will just be taking the contract they offer, trying to negotiate certain major deals and they will be like 'get lost we'll find someone else'...and then when you rise the manager rankings you will be able to sort out better deals that are more beneficial to you and have more influence over how the board treats you.

Nice one.

Certainly would entice me to actually change clubs every now and then (as a general rule I stay with the one club for the duration of a CM/FM save, even if it means editing my contract or loading up to prevent sacking). It sounds interesting and challenging like this, and the abrupt and dull nature of the current manager changeovers really doesn't appeal to me at all. Good idea ;)

The only problem I can see is when your chairman says no then you just quit and apply for the wanted post ! Other than it's a really good idea

Happems in real life, Harry Redknapp!

If a club approach you they tell you what transfer and wage budgets you get before you sign.

I like the idea and think it's well thought out but I don't really think 'manager contracts' should be top of SI's 'to improve' list. Maybe a tiny tweak in that they have to just approach the club first, but other than that I don't think it needs to be touched.

Great Shout...Always feel it could include more details...A perfect example is what is going on with Rafa Benitez...Also an idea might be when the chairman accepts a bid from another club above you, you can warn him if he does it again your off or something like that.

Sounds like a great idea, this could also be extended into contract negotiations with your current club so that rather than just an offer of money and length of contract we could negotiate a little. This could inlcude feeder clubs (I know that we can already do this but it could be written into our contract that we are allowed to choose a link-up with another club), release clauses for certain clubs coming after you, increase number of backroom staff. Really anything that can give you greater power at the club due to your improved status and success you've brought to the club.

just my two penneth - I think that's a great shout. As a manager I think our interaction in terms of media is still very stand offish.....not really about us..this should deal with that.

I'd also like to counter "StephenIrelandIsAGnome"s point with my own. Managers of top sides have "gardening leave" now which means if they resign they are legally bound to not join a "list" of clubs (denoted by legality) within a period of time (normally 6 months).

Mourinho had once such agreement.

The human manager should never be stopped from joining a club that is willing to give them the job.

If I was managing a random team and Sheffield Wednesday come in, I'd want to take the job. I would probably quit the game altogether if they stopped me. I know it's less realistic that way but sometimes you have to sacrifice a bit of realism for the game. Other than that, it's a good idea.

The human manager should never be stopped from joining a club that is willing to give them the job.

If I was managing a random team and Sheffield Wednesday come in, I'd want to take the job. I would probably quit the game altogether if they stopped me. I know it's less realistic that way but sometimes you have to sacrifice a bit of realism for the game. Other than that, it's a good idea.

but you could do what most managers do when they cant join a club resign.

Most people seem to agree that it should be made a bit more realistic I think... Fairly obvious step for improving FM series when you think about it :)

As for the club denying your transfer, you could quit as people have mentioned.

I like Daley's suggestion of asking for clauses like release clauses for favourite clubs. I'd also like a slight variation on this thread's general consensus, yes to negotiating wage/transfer budgets in advance, but have your intentions for the club before you sign as well. When you join a club or at the start of the season you set your targets, avoid relegation, safe mid-table, title challenge etc, why not tell the chairman of the approaching club what you think you can do for him? That way its like a contract for a player- you have length of contract, wage, bonuses (goal bonus/yearly pay rise vs wage/transfer budget adjustment & release clauses) and status (rotation/key vs avoid relegation/win the league).

Man City approaches Hughes (does managers have agents now?)

i believe they do, when hughes got th man city job he didnt have an agent, but as soon as the takeover was done he got several messages requesting to be his agent, everyone wanted to be in with man city

Archived