Extremely defensive tactics

verydefensivestuggart.jpg

Im FC Bayern(2nd) and I'm playing Stuttgart(3rd). They have a man sent off on 63rd minute when 1-1 and they decide to go into a formation that could be considered as a 7-1-1.

Has anyone else seen such defensive tactics from a top team? I know a sending off causes problems but I've never seen a team go this defensive!

fcbayernvsstuttgartfinalresult.jpg

Luckily- 3 late goals gave me a 4-1 win :)

• 1 year later...
how can u act screen shots or uppload pics to the message ?????

Press "Print Screen" of the picture you want and then paste it in "Paint". Save the picture and then upload it to a hosting site on the web and then use the link they provide to post the pic here.

/JB

It's not 7-1-1, it's 3-5-1 (or perhaps 5-3-1) in my eyes.

Essentially, it doesn't take much imagination to go from what you have posted to this (minus one player, of course):

3-6-1.jpg

3-6-1 Formation

This uncommon but modern formation obviously focuses in the ball possession in the midfield. In fact, it is very rare to see it as an initial formation, as it is better used to keep results. Its more common variants are 3-4-2-1 or 3-4-3 Diamond, which use two wingbacks. The lone forward must be tactically gifted, because he is not only focused in scoring, but to play back to the goal to assist with back passes to his teammates. Once the team is leading the game, the tactics focuses even more in ball control, short passes and time wasting. On the other hand, when the team is losing, at least one of the playmakers will play more often in the edge of the area to add depth to the attack. Guus Hiddink is one of the few coaches who has used this formation when coaching Australia, in the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

You might even call it 5-3-1, with the wingbacks counted as part of the defence, and the DMs as part of the midfield.

Incomplete formations

When a player is sent-off (after being shown a red card), the teams generally fall back to defensive formations such as 4-4-1 or 5-3-1. Only when a draw is not an option (e.g. in a playoff or knockout match) will a team with ten players play in a risky attacking formation such as 4-3-2 or even 4-2-3. When more than one player is missing from the team the common formations are generally disbanded in favour of either maximum concentration on defence, or maximum concentration on attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_%28football%29

Archived